• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Commentator

Storm-DC

Dance Instructor
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2019
    So the commentator more or less makes the game for me...

I was wondering about a few things..

- Can you choose to hear the japanese commentator on the english version? That would be coooool..

- Who is doing the voice of the commentator.. Someone we can know?

- Is the commentary all the time the same, or are there enough nice variations? So is it as nice as the good sport games?

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Except that all the announcer is doing is reading off the text in battle. It's not horrible, but it'll probably get repetitive.

But that begs the question. If they have in-battle voices now, then why don't they just make a Pokemon game with voice acting in the story? And for that matter, why can't they use the Pokemon cries from the Anime? Why do they still have to use those stock Game Boy cries all the time? It's not like voices take much space on a disc.

And I know some people will say it's because your character in the games is a silent protagonist. Ok. That's all well and good, but in Suikoden V, your character was silent, except for a few grunts in battle (like Link), and there were voices in the game. And THAT game had 108 different characters (and was one of the longest RPGs I've ever played! Dragon Quest VIII had a silent protagonist, but everyone talked in the major cutscenes. It seemed more thrown together than Suikoden V, but it still worked in its own way. So despite having a silent protagonist, it can still be done.

halfling2

Breakfast Squid
    Years
    If they used the Pokemon voices from the anime I would punch a baby. I prefer the original noises over the third person, high pitched, gritty dialect that mostly every Pokemon has in the show BASED ON THE GAME.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    If they used the Pokemon voices from the anime I would punch a baby. I prefer the original noises over the third person, high pitched, gritty dialect that mostly every Pokemon has in the show BASED ON THE GAME.
    I would punch a baby as well. Agreed.

Staying on topic, if the announcer is good as in the Japanese version, then it should be fine.

On a related note, I forgot what Mr Gates sounds like.

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
    Years
    If they have in-battle voices now, then why don't they just make a Pokemon game with voice acting in the story? And for that matter, why can't they use the Pokemon cries from the Anime? Why do they still have to use those stock Game Boy cries all the time? It's not like voices take much space on a disc.

And I know some people will say it's because your character in the games is a silent protagonist. Ok. That's all well and good, but in Suikoden V, your character was silent, except for a few grunts in battle

When is the protagonist ever going to "grunt?" When he throws a Poke Ball? That's probably about it. As for the Pokemon cries, definitely possible, but there are two reasons I would prefer they didn't use the anime cries: 1: It's an homage to the old games and their hilariously low-quality sound effects, and 2: Many avid Pokemon gamers like myself resent the anime and the constant way it misconstrues the abilities of many Pokemon and the mechanics of the game. Yellow Version was the closest the game came to the anime, and that was only for the children that actually believed that whatever happened in the anime was possible in the games, ergo the conceptualization of Surfing Pikachu. >.< I hope they don't break the parallel again anytime soon.

Back