• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Team 6th slot adivce

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2013
    Hi! After playing pokemon for many years ive decided to enter competitive playing, ive built most of my team but im not sure to have in the 6th slot, i had a life orb blazekin but it just wasnt working out. Here is my current team:

Espeon(HP/Spe)
    A:Magic Bounce
    I:Light Clay
    M: Light Screen, Reflect, Baton Pass, Psychic

Carbink(252HP/Def/SpD)
    A:Clear Body
    I:Leftovers
    M: Stealth Rock, Toxic, Calm Mind, Moonblast

Gengar(Spe/SpA)
    A:Levitate(MEvo: Shadow Tag)
    I:Gengarite
    M: Focus Blast, Substitute. Shadow Ball, Destiny Bond

Alakazam(Spe/SpA)
    A:Magic Guard
    I:Focus Sash
    M: Focus Blast, Psyshock,??? Debating between Signal Beam, Substitute, Shadow Ball and maybe HP Fire/Ice (havent check HP yet)

Dragonite(Atk/Spe)
    A:Multiscale
    I:Lum Berry
    M: Dragon Dance, Outrage, Eathquake, Fire Punch

so yeah thats my team, all comments/critique/suggestions are greatly appreciated, i could greatly use the help thanks!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Carbink is terrible. Like Shuckle, it can't do much back to the opponent and has a tendency to be setup bait. While Forretress also has that tendency, it also clears away entry hazards with Rapid Spin. What makes Forretress useful is that it synergizes well with Dragonite and it also hits back harder than Carbink should it be forced to attack:
    -Stealth Rock/Spikes
    -Rapid Spin
    -Gyro Ball/Volt Switch
    -Earthquake/Volt Switch
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy

For Alakazam, just use Psychic/Psyshock, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast and Hidden Power Fire/Ice. Signal Beam isn't available yet because it's a B2/W2 tutor move; those aren't available till Poke Transfer.

Three of your Pokemon are vulnerable to Dark moves (that's a bad thing). Having a Fighting or Fairy Pokemon on the team helps lessen this. Try out Pangoro; even though it adds a Fairy weakness, it can use Parting Shot to gain momentum for the team by weakening an opponent's offenses and being a decent revenge killer in general:
    -Sky Uppercut/Hammer Arm/Storm Throw
    -Crunch
    -Stone Edge/Poison Jab
    -Parting Shot
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf
    Ability: Iron Fist/Scrappy

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • You could also try Bisharp for a sixth slot. Although it is quite a risky Pokemon because of its 4x Fighting weakness, it resists all the other types that your team is weak to. Here's a setup sweeper set which I'm thinking of, although I might be disagreed with.

~ Night Slash
    ~ Iron Head
    ~ Swords Dance
    ~ Low Kick
    Ability: Defiant
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe

If Espeon has Psychic, I'd give Alakazam Psyshock to break special walls. I'd opt for HP Ice too if Dragonite has Fire Punch, because HP Ice takes down Gliscor and Noivern easily.

Ashandarei

Siswai Aman
    Years
  • You could also try Bisharp for a sixth slot. Although it is quite a risky Pokemon because of its 4x Fighting weakness, it resists all the other types that your team is weak to. Here's a setup sweeper set which I'm thinking of, although I might be disagreed with.

~ Night Slash
    ~ Iron Head
    ~ Swords Dance
    ~ Low Kick
    EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe

If Espeon has Psychic, I'd give Alakazam Psyshock to break special walls. I'd opt for HP Ice too if Dragonite has Fire Punch, because HP Ice takes down Gliscor and Noivern easily.

I actually think Bisharp is the best he's ever been, since steels no longer resist is stupidly strong sucker punch and he is pretty much a hard counter to aegislash. Add on top that he deals with faeries quite nicely and defiant gives him a free swords dance if sticky web is on the field, and I think he's more than capable of making OU. Though personally I'm not fond of your set too much, as its poor speed will make it very hard to sweep. I think something like this works a lot better:

Bisharp @ Life Orb
    Adamant Nature (+ Atk, - Sp. Atk)
    200 HP/ 252 Atk / 52 Spe
    ~ Sucker Punch
    ~ Iron Head
    ~ Knock Off
    ~ Swords Dance/Power-up Punch

He also holds a choice band very well:

Bisharp @ Choice Band
    Adamant Nature (+ Atk, - Sp. Atk)
    252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4HP
    ~ Sucker Punch
    ~ Iron Head
    ~ Knock Off
    ~ Pursuit

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • You almost beat me to it in terms of movepool. I was meant to add Sucker Punch instead of Night Slash, I must have looked at it thinking it was a tutor move and not a breeding move. ~_~

Edit: I just realized now that Knock Off is a tutor move, therefore Bisharp isn't allowed to learn this move yet. Not too difficult now. We can put Swords-D & PUP into the same movepool along with the two STAB moves.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • OK then, yeah I agree with power up punch being the last move then.

Regarding your Bisharp sets, Choice-locked Sucker Punch is terribad because it makes Bisharp setup bait. While Power-Up Punch provides Fighting coverage while boosting Bisharp's Attack, Mega Kangaskhan really should be the only one using it because of its Parental Bond essentially letting Power-Up Punch become an offensive Swords Dance. Also, the Gen VI Bisharp set should look like this, since Dark/Steel have good offensive coverage now and Dark can hit Steel neutrally:
    -Swords Dance
    -Sucker Punch
    -Iron Head
    -Night Slash/Substitute
    EVs: 124 HP/252 Atk/132 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Lum Berry/Dread Plate/BlackGlasses

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    Three of your Pokemon are vulnerable to Dark moves (that's a bad thing). Having a Fighting or Fairy Pokemon on the team helps lessen this.
    PlatinumDude is right. A Fighting- or Fairy- type should really be added to cover up the weakness. A good Fighting-type might be Toxicroak. Although, as a Fighting- and Poison-type, it has 3 weaknesses- Flying, Ground, and Psychic- it also has many resistances- Fighting, Poison, Rock, Bug, Grass, and Dark. On top of that, the Poison type is strong against Grass, and the Fighting type is strong against Normal, Ice, Rock, Dark, and Steel. You have to be really careful about the Psychic type, as both of Toxicroak's types are weak to Psychic, thus making the damage x4. Toxicroak has a good Attack, so I recommend a good move set of Attack boosters and Attack moves, including one heavy-hitter like Close Combat.
    If you choose to go for a Fairy-type, however, I recommend Mawile. Mawile does have a mega evolution, if you feel like locating the Mega Stone. As a Steel- and Fairy-type, its weaknesses are only Ground- and Fire-types. It has a load of resistances- Normal, Flying, Rock, Bug, Grass, Psychic, Ice, Dark, and Fairy. As you can see, Mawile would be a smart choice because of its many resistances. As a Steel-type, it has a good Defense and Attack. Fairy type moves are mainly Special Attack, so you have to be a little creative in Mawile's move set if you do include it, or use the medicine drinks to train up its Special Attack.
    Hope this helps.

Back