• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive vs. Casual

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
Years
  • [...]also the gen 5 competitive was all about weather warfare. Rain with Swift Swim, Hydration, dry skin. Sun with solar power, chlorophyll. Sand offense with sand force and sand rush. [...]

Personally I think GameFreak has given Rain all the benefits. It doesn't want to share with any other weather. Sun has a good amount too. Sandstorm only has a few, and Hail gets like, nothing.

I really wish they'd add a few more bonuses for Hail like there are for Rain and Sun. That would be pretty nice.

I think if they gave Hail/Sandstorm a bit more boosts than they currently have I would have more of a reason to build a strategy off them. As for what the boosts would be, I'm not quite sure yet. Probably something similar to what Rain and Sun have but more applicable to ice and sand.

It seems to me that they're not doing so well with balance in those areas. Gen 5 meta game's Weather Wars were a nightmare of imbalance with Drizzle Politoed hogging all the many benefits of Rain Dance. They fixed that it Gen 6 but new problems came up.

This is a pretty rapidly changing game as people find new strategies, so I do sympathize with Game Freak if they can't get it perfect. It's impossible to predict everything, so you just have to learn from your mistakes, and they seem to be doing that to some degree.

(Except Flareon still has 130 base Attack with no really good STAB moves that it can learn.)

Back