• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Completely dead?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • Where do these games stand in your point of view? Do you just see them in your room collecting dust while you sit there playing your new import of Black/White? Batteries dead? Are you ever gonna pick'em up and play again?

I see them as old, but not too old that I don't want to play them ever again. My RBY and GSC games are neatly stored in my game drawer (carefully organized, haha). All the batteries are still working as well, but I do have ROMs for all six of them in case anything happens (which eventually and unfortunately, something will). And occasionally, I get a serge of nostalgia and pick them up again for a normal playthrough. Playing the Black ROM made me want to play Red, actually. Haha.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I don't think they're dead yet... I still actually just want to play Yellow sometimes because even with the bad graphics, it seems like a brand new world. That was the start of Pokemon and shouldn't be forgotten to fully enjoy the new games, imo. I alsooo would play Crystal but then I'd wanna restart and I like my team so yeah D:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I must admit, I don't play any of them anymore. Part of it is that I live away from home most of the year and even if I wanted to play my hard copies, I only take my DS with me so I wouldn't be able to. :(

I have played the ROM for Blue recently--I went for a complete pokedex and did it in about 8 hours, albeit with the emulator sped up. And in Gold I... started doing a Nuzlocke challenge but was nearly completely wiped out by Clair and didn't even want to do Kanto so I gave up. XD;

But for the most part, I don't bother with the earlier gens anymore. :( They were fun while they lasted but I find them a bit of a chore to play because they lack so much I take for granted now in the series.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I don't even have my Red/Blue/Yellow/Crystal cartridge anymore. They disappeared into the darkest corners of my parents' place years ago. D:

I have ROMs for five of the six genI/II games, but I only really play them for challenges and whatnot. XD

Martins

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    It really saddens me to see them alone, cold without heat from a console to warm them. I admit to having stopped playing them after Pokémon HG & SS were released. Before they were released, I only played Crystal, because Johto was my favorite region. After Johto was made on the NDS, I saw no point in playing the old ones again.

I have a ROM for every version of GB/GBC, but they are untouched and will be as such forever. What I am trying to say, is goodbye my dear RBY and GSC. See ya in anotha life, brothas.

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
  • I still have the cartridges for all six games, though only 5 are working now since the battery for my Silver game died. (*weeps*)
    I absolutely refuse to reset my Crystal file, so that only leaves me with Gold to mess around on in Gen 2. I end up playing G/S/C on the computer instead, which...I actually do a fair amount of, even if I don't actually finish playing through them most of the time. I just like putting different teams together and playing with them.

I play R/B/Y a bit too. I started a new game on Blue a long time ago with the intention of raising an awesome team to use on Pokemon Stadium, but I restarted it recently so I could do a challenge. I'll have to start again later and put that team together, since I've been getting into Stadium again.

I have backups of Red and Blue on my computer as well, if I remember right, but I don't usually play them that way. It just doesn't feel the same. x_x

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Crystal is Corrupted and I still play Yellow because its the only gen 1/2 game that wasn't remade.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • I play all the old games, they've never gone unloved for long. If I happen to come across a cartridge while cleaning my room for example I just have to see where I left off last time, and a lot of the time I'll continue on.

God I love Pokemon.

Ctrl.Alt.Geak

Swords Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I pick up my Red once every 2-4 weeks so it doesnt lose its charge and become corrupted. I know thats just delaying the inevitable but I'm going to hate when it eventually happens (if the internal battery doesnt die first *knocks wood*). I usually do the same with my Blue/Yellow/G/S/C but I pay more attention to red because it was my first Pokemon game.
    I guess my games dont "collect dust" but I dont play them as much as I used to.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • I don't find them dead to me yet. I only own Yellow, Crystal and Silver. But I usually erase the file, and start from scratch once in a while. (^_^b)

mal'akh

Hate this place. Gone for good
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    Omg, if my game still worked, I'd play them every day. Non-stop hardcore play.
    If it weren't for me being so scared of getting forty different viruses every three seconds from downloading a ROM, I would get one for Gold and Sapphire.
    But I have them all in a little sack I got specifically for them. Neat and clean, with the internal batteries raped and destroyed from continuous hours of play. God I miss them. </3

Bolanboy

ǝpısdn uʍop
    Years
  • I still play my Blue in my GBC every now and then. In fact I took this picture a cupla days ago.

Spoiler:

And seeing as that's the only one I can find out of Red, Blue, Yellow and Gold, I'm rebuilding my cartridge collection. Bought Red, Silver, Crystal and Sapphire yesterday.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    The 2nd generation games I have are dead, but the first aren't. Though I have a DS flash cart with all them (+Brown and Prism), so I can play the working (or nonworking) with a backlight. :P

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • I still like playing Blue and Gold, but I haven't played either in months.

So currently they're sitting in my drawer gathering dust.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • It's the most alive out of the whole series to me! I love it more than I do any of the newere Pokemon games, and that's for sure. I would much rather prefer to play a game of Crystal than Platinum, or even HG/SS. It's just something that will never die to me.

All of my originals are not old though. They will still play. G and S give me a hard time, but they will still work after a bit of persuasion and work. lol. R/B/Y work.

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
  • I have my Crystal packed away in a safe place and my older brother's Yellow is still somewhere, my younger brother's Blue will be somewhere safe no doubt all the batteries still work, but I don't I really play them as much as I used to in the past. D:

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I have no way to play the older games. Not only are most of them dead because they've been sitting exposed to dust for several years and I haven't touched them, but also because I gave away my old GameBoys except for my dying GameBoy Color. Which I found along with a cartridge of Yellow, and...dead.

I have ROMs for all the old games, but except for a few seconds of Yellow, I haven't played them. I guess I could say that I did move on to Black and White, leaving my old Pokemon to remain forgotten in a box in my closet.

Years
  • The 2nd generation games I have are dead, but the first aren't. Though I have a DS flash cart with all them (+Brown and Prism), so I can play the working (or nonworking) with a backlight. :P

I take this option - I have the actual cartridges, boxed and complete (except for Crystal - my cart is unboxed, awful condition and actually corrupted because the battery leaked) for collection purposes (and so I can play them on my GBASP should the desire arise). But lately, I've been playing the roms on Lameboy.

Emulation is probably the greatest reason to own a DS flashcart, actually (other than, y'know, being able to keep backup copies of every DS game you own on one cartridge).

Flyboy

Wishes he was way up high
    Years
  • I have blue, Red a dead silver and fire red, platnuim, and diamond.
    However since my ds is broken I can't play any of them, minus blue and red but I never have enough time.

Back