• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Completely dead?

DARKSHADE

Waiting.. In the Shadows..
Years
  • Ha one right here, still have my original copies.. pick them up for a play from time to time ^^
    I even found my Pokemon red case and instruction manual (Pokemon Trainers Guide) the other day.
    Pokemon Red was the first game I ever played and will always remain important to me.. even after all these years my gaming knowledge and playing has grown far beyond that of the first generation era.
    But those games were amazing I prefer Crystal to any other Pokemon game.. and as for Red.. I don't know.. the music.. the crappy tiles.. EVERYTHING. No matter how bad they compare to todays games.. they are still awesome.

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    Sometimes when I'm bored I play Gold version (and by bored, I mean really bored). Anyway, the last time I played them was a couple of years ago, so I guess I've gotten over them.

GaXeL

Feraligatr Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2012
    I'm playing silver right now :D
    Just grinding my level 87 feraligatr

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
  • No way.
    I own at least one game from every generation and Pokemon Blue is the one I play the most.

Question:
    My silver version won't save anymore.
    I play the game, hit save, it acts like it saves, but when I turn it off and on again the save file is gone.
    Is there any way to fix this?

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
    Years
  • These are the only pokemon games that I play, but they probably will become dead as the people that play them become older and stop playing the original games. I just can't see people who are new to the series, play the original games like someone around my age does.

Also, institutions, if I am correct it sounds like your internal battery is dead. Not really sure what to do about that, but I'm sure that a little bit of research would provide an answer to your question.

xxChazxx

It's Been a While
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2016
    Well, I'm playing Yellow (I've only ever played Red and Blue in Gen I) and I'm playing Crystal again afterward, so these games are still very much alive.

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • I unfortunately gave away my Gameboy and my old Blue version to my cousin. I did find a program that's not a ROM that allows you to play the old RBY and GSC games on your computer. I play them from time to time, mainly when there's nothing much going on in the world of Pokemon.

So no, I don't consider them dead at all.

xPsychosocial

A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
    Years
  • I don't see the originals as dead, I'm just afraid the batteries will go on the rest of them. My second generation games don't work and I don't want my Pokémon Blue game to stop working because it's the first Pokémon game I owned. I emulate them, I was emulating Blue a few minutes ago.

Performancev2

Beginning Challenger
    Years
  • Each of them sit in my room everyday crying, except blue who was unfortunately lost in a washing machine accident, and he is missed from his crying family of underplayed games in my collection. However, I do play them sometimes, just not as often as my Ruby. I haven't bought many of the new games, as I just haven't gotten the time.
    :*

Years
  • Let's see, my Gold has a dead battery, my Blue is - I think - still working.

But the sad part is, I had a full pokédex on my Gold cartridge with over 350 hours of gameplay ):

I don't really feel the need to play Blue anytime soon, however.

72pokemonmaniac27

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • I was just playing my old copy of Pokemon Silver i found the other day!:) I was really happy because i hadn't played it in awhile.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Nov 28, 2016
    I have a electronics box with all my old stuff in it. I have my two link cables, pokemon R/B/Y and G/S, and 2 gameboy colors. Not to long ago i started over my blue to get a mew using the glitch(which worked perfectly :P). So as far as them being old i would have to say yes. But they still are as fun as when i fist got them.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    I carry my Gameboy Color around with me along with my DS everywhere. I have RBY and GSC and they all work perfectly fine (just did the mew glitch on Blue and got Mew, Nidoqueen and Lapras, so I'm playing that one to level them up.) I don't have any 3rd Gen games but I have roms of the DS games and Green just because. I also like playing hacks of the 1st and 2nd gens so those are on my R4 as well.
    I love playing the classics more than the newer ones. I'm actually further on the gameboy ones rather than my DS ones just because I haven't erased most of them for a good 12 years now...I just like completing the pokedex now.

Gundisalvus Kuno

Solving Problems Since 1999
    Years
  • I think that these games will eventually be dead as soon as people like me grow out of them. I can't really see young kids playing the older games like we used to. As of now, no they are far from completely dead

Pingouin_7

They all work perfectly.

Shiny Gardevoir

I huntz shiniez
    Years
  • If I figure out where my SP is and my games, and if I have time, Id' play them. There are also a lot of people playing them... They're far from dead. :D

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2011
    Well, I lost my sisters old Blue version a couple years ago, I still have yellow in my SP, my silver version I got off ebay still works, and my gold version won't save after I play a new game....I didn't grow up with these games so I think they're pretty old, but I still play them every once in awhile. :D

Back