• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Complicated or simple storyline?

What storyline do you like?

• Total voters

Integra Hellsing

The Convention of Twelve
Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2009
    Complicated Storylines are always the best option for people like me that love giving a deeper shape in what they are creating. I would add a long story - as long as possible and adding many connection and references between the characters and I would add the special things that each story needs. Possibly having references based off other historical and fantasy events.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • What I like to see in hacks are fairly complex and interesting/original stories. Things that go off from the main pokemon formula. I mean, if it's a normal pokemon-esque storyline, then unless it's Nintendo/Game Freak/Creatures inc. producing it, it turns out to be boring. (I don't know how they do it.)

Stuff kind of like DJG's Ruby Destiny: Rescue Rangers.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    I'm all about the adventure in games, so I lean towards complicated. I don't like story-lines that are so intricate that they're hard to understand, of course.

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • As of now. Simple. Screw all that complex crap, just get to the point, but add lots of extras throughout the hack, ya know?

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    Well, I prefer simple storylines because, like most people in our modern age, I don't want to have to think.
    You said that stories with sidequests and subplots are complicated but I believe that you can have those aspects in a storyline and still keep it fairly simple and easy to follow. I have always enjoyed mini-quests and other non-storyline related goodies in games and so I try to implement as many as possible into my own creations. However, having them in a game doesn't have to complicate the storyline, unless you really want them to, in which case they can be used very effectively to do just that.
    Practically stole the words from my mouth. Well said.

Grifstar

Certified Shark Bait
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    Easy to follow, however it has several surprises along the way.

When I think of complicated stories/games what comes to mind are ones that try to throw in politics and huge words. Or just other unnecessary things that make it more like a Shakespeare play than well, actually fun. I live for character and story development, but at the same time I prefer it practical. Too much detail can sometimes kill a story all together, but not enough and it becomes way too predictable or boring anyway.

Basically, you just need a light touch of both of them, especially if you want to appeal to everyone.

And... yeah, I'm speak for pretty much in general, not so much Pokemon XD

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I think the storyline with the most twists, surprizes etc. etc. is the best. So, its between simple and complicated.
    I dont like complicated storylines though. I want to understand whats going on in the game.

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2010
    Personally, I don't like reading the story Line, but thats just me. I've heard a lot of people talking about the story line in posts. So I reckon it would be good to have one not too long, not too short, and very interesting.

Years
    • Age 29
    • USA
    • Seen Aug 22, 2010
    Final Fantasy VI Complicated? Yes. It made sense once you recruited everyone again in the World of Ruin. After you killed Kefka in his God form, everything drew to a resolution, and it made sense.

Final Fantasy VII Complicated? No. It made no sense at all. It goes onto 100 spin-off games. Then this guy's mom is this person's mom, who only is part of this dude's mom, who's mom is really his creator, who's mom can't do this crap, who made spaghetti and beat up Paris Hilton, who's-WHAT THE ****? It makes no sense the end! It's story line goes about 20 different ways. A great game in the end, but the storyline and spin-offs killed it for me.

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2022
    My personal thinking towards the ROM Hacking process is that I shouldn't aim to be just a hacker, but also a storyteller. Plots, whether simple or complex, that allow you to start to care about what happens to the characters, to feel what they feel, and that give you that extra incentive to play on because you want to know what happens next are what really gets me fired up - not just about my own ROM hacking, but also playing the hacks of others. :) Game Freak uses the same story every time with some minor variations; but hackers are not under those obligations, and there is much potential for creativity to bloom no matter how complex the story is you want to tell. Even something as simple as a boy or girl going on a journey to rescue their kidnapped friend, for example, can lead to both interesting gameplay and a great story just as well as that of an epic, multilayered adventure of a Trainer having to discover who he is and what he stands for through a series of complex events.

So really, if I had to sum my answer up as briefly as possible, I would say that both styles can lead to great hacking and gameplay, depending on the story the hacker behind the game would like to tell :) I have no play preference as long as there's something inspiring me to keep on playing - which can happen even in the simplest of storylines. :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2022
    I dislike hacks that send me back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, between towns and routes and it just gets a little too repetitive. I'd prefer it if it remained simple and just keep moving in the one direction. (Another reason why I disliked this hack was the amount of grass you had to walk through to get to your destination; not to mention the unbearable high encounter rates).

Years
  • Personally i like complicated more than plain just because it gets boring if you are going to the towns just for the sake of going to them and defeating the gym. but then again, if its soooo complicate that you have no clue whats going on.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • I'm working on a hack that parodies the main games storyline, so the story will be simple, I mainly prefer simple stories, not too complex

aquadan

is searching for members
    Years
  • Simple Concepts!
    Twisting storyline!
    Thats what i want!!

Also i hate if the game is too easy, i raged when i played diamond/pearl and cynthia just walked up and gave me cut.

Years
  • I beleive a complicated story gives the game its meaning. A more complicated story was given in D/P than in FIRE RED therefore, it created understanding of the game. If your story is too short, nice and simple, then when the player engages with the gameplay they will have a difficult time comprehending the meaning of why such things are presented in the game.

KurlyFries

let's get this bread
    Years
  • For me, all it comes down to is the quality of the storytelling.
    And as far as the amount of subplots go, either the storyline or the enjoyability of the subplots has to be good.
    Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance has zero subplots, but an amazing storyline.
    Whereas Pokemon never has a good storyline, but there are subplots galore.

Years
  • Complicated, definately. Look at Fire Red. That had... Well, to be honest, a really simple storyline. That team Rocket business was just awful. They were doing harm, for the sole purpose of doing harm. Sure- "Steal Pokemon for Profit". Ok, wait, I guess they did it for money. But... Well, it wasn't very good, is what I'm trying to say. Though insane, Platinum's Cyrus was one kick ass character, and Platinum's story was excellent, and quite complicated. And no compulsory subplots come to mind, so.. Complicated.

Back