• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Computer/OS Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
Years
I have a "poor" Celeron Processor and 128 MB... I wanted 256 MB and a pentium 4 processor, but I am stuck with this..

I got to get my hands on the cenanto (sp?) processors on laptops... they sposed to be good!

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
Actually, Centrino is just a combination of things like a networkign card in laptops. It's not actually a chip. ^_^;;

I've never expereinced hyper-threading, guess I will soon. o.o;

Kyosuke

.·Simple Complexity
Years
I've always been interested in Pentium Xeon processors, but from what I hear, they were only ment for servers, is it still possible to use it anyway?

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
Years
vmWare is a Emulation software for Windows. It's better than the Windows verson of Microsoft's Virtual PC but it cost a little bit more for the extra freatures..

Well, My VM processor gets downgraded to 1 gHZ, half of 2.0 gHZ

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
LiquidThunder said:
Whoa a P4 with HT technology, I hear about that alot but never hear about anyone who has it.

My sister has a normal P4 Dell Dimension 8100, with a 52x CD burner, 16x DVD-burner, 80 GB hard drive, but I abused and lost my privledges to use it, (too many downloads she found out about). I wish my computer had that kind of power....

So exactly what does that make me? Chopped Liver?

My computer's specifications are:

2.4GHz Pentium 4 Processor w/800MHz FSB and HT Technology
1GB Corsair memory @ 2-3-2-5 latencies
Western Digital 200GB Special Edition Cavair HD
ATI AIW 9700 Pro (3rd fastest commercial video card in the world)
Creative Soundblaster Audiology 2 (extremely high end soundcard)

Here are a few facts about my PC. It is fine turned for performance. I have disabled the paging file (don't do that unless you have more than 768MB of RAM) and several unused (and sometimes insecure) windows components to speed up the computer considerably.

If you are wondering why I said 2-3-2-5 latencies, here is a little fact about memory. Memory does not respond as fast as the processor needs it to. Faster responses require lower latencies. However, most memory can not perform at high clock speeds and respond quickly. Corsair memory is among the only memory in the world that can respond that qickly when operating at 400MHz (that is before dual channel, 400MHz*2=800MHz). I guarentee the memory in my PC is faster than whatever Dell puts in their PCs. :D

Kairi

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
Pentium 4 Processor at 3GHz w/800MHz front side bus/ HT Technology
Windows XP Professional
2GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz
128MB DDR ATI RADEON 9800 Pro Graphics Card with TV-Out and DVI
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
120GB Serial ATA Hard Drive,
16x DVD-ROM Drive
8x DVD+R/+RW Drive with CD-RW

I know the Hard Drive is unimpressive, my old computer had a 120 GB Western Digital one. Going from a 1.4? GHz 256 RAM system though, it's plenty fast enough for me now.

The graphics aren't too important to me, don't game much and I have a DVI Flat Panel so...

I was surprised to find Messenger and Indexing turned off when I first looked into services. The XP firewall was on by default too. I loaded up something better of course before going online to get the Windows Updates.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Kairi said:
Pentium 4 Processor at 3GHz w/800MHz front side bus/ HT Technology
Windows XP Professional
2GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz
128MB DDR ATI RADEON 9800 Pro Graphics Card with TV-Out and DVI
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
120GB Serial ATA Hard Drive,
16x DVD-ROM Drive
8x DVD+R/+RW Drive with CD-RW

I know the Hard Drive is unimpressive, my old computer had a 120 GB Western Digital one. Going from a 1.4? GHz 256 RAM system though, it's plenty fast enough for me now.

The graphics aren't too important to me, don't game much and I have a DVI Flat Panel so...

I was surprised to find Messenger and Indexing turned off when I first looked into services. The XP firewall was on by default too. I loaded up something better of course before going online to get the Windows Updates.

Nice specs. The main bottleneck on that system as well as any other system is the hard drive through. Look into two 72GB Raptors in a RAID 0 configuration (144GB) and that computer will fly on boot up as well as anything else that is HD intensive.

By the way, be sure to put it in a room with an air conditioner. Otherwise when summer comes by you won't be able to stand being near your computer.

Not to mention, I couldn't help noticing that you have the same sound card that I have. How do you like it?

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
Years
Vito Winstrate said:
For some reason, my computer's speed never minds me. Even if it is a "behind" 400MHz Power Mac G4. I really like power, but for my own life (at the moment) speed isn't quite the big issue for me.
Unfortunately it is for my father.
Besides, I could get a processor upgrade card. Although I have no intention of doing so.
I'm actually glad to have it, even when the G4 is 67MHz faster than my iMac (which has a G3 Processor).

G4 eMac? I might look into my options for that, but if so I'm afraid my 400MHz G4 would be more expandable... 4 PCI slots, a slot for an Internal Zip drive or Floppy Drive, case openable from the handle, etc. It's just so powerful and easy to use.

My Macintosh isn't that expandable.... o_o.. it's limited..

My Dell computer has poor specs... I have to wait forever to do something (aleast it's not 10x slower... )
128MB of Memory (Probally at 250 gHZ or higher)
Windows XP Professional
30 GB Harddrive (I can live with that, but I can't use it for a dual booting)
12x DVD Drive
32mb Intel Extreme Graphics (A very slow graphics card... >_<....)
SoundMax Intergrated Soundcard..

:-/... I need more memory though. My VM runs too slow because the lack of memory installed the computer. :(

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Haruka said:
My Macintosh isn't that expandable.... o_o.. it's limited..

My Dell computer has poor specs... I have to wait forever to do something (aleast it's not 10x slower... )
128MB of Memory (Probally at 250 gHZ or higher)
Windows XP Professional
30 GB Harddrive (I can live with that, but I can't use it for a dual booting)
12x DVD Drive
32mb Intel Extreme Graphics (A very slow graphics card... >_<....)
SoundMax Intergrated Soundcard..

:-/... I need more memory though. My VM runs too slow because the lack of memory installed the computer. :(

250GHz Processors are not on the market or in existance yet. It would be nice through.

Kairi

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
I thought her computer was a bit faster than that. Maybe it's her other one..

I plan to swap out the hard drives as the first thing I upgrade. It still seems so much better than my old Gateway... x_x; Gateway makes the worst products, it was os unstable even with XP.

Kairi

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
Haruka, this one is a Dell. I'm glad of that, I'll never buy Gateway again. ^_^;

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Dell PCs are nice. Shining Arcanine PCs are even nicer. lol ^_^

What model was it and what hard drive upgrade are you planning?

Kairi

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
What model is what? Kinda vauge there. ^_^;

I'm not sure what my plans are for the hard drive, I just know it's slow and kinda small. I had to sacrifice somewhere for now, and it sure wasn't going to be on the processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back