• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Computer/OS Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    One thing that bugs me when kids take snapshots of their computer?s desktops is the sheer amount of things in their taskbar eating memory. I imagine most kids download so many things over time and have so much running all at startup, which is the reason they complain their computer?s slow. http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm is a great way to find which services in Windows XP to turn off. Not exactly for the amateur, but it?s not rocket science. This can really help speed you up. Get Ad-Aware and run it once a week or so, clear up that PC of all the junk. I clear my prefetch and temp folders once in a while too.
    http://www.acelogix.com/
    Ace Utilities has some nice tools for reg cleaning, tweaking, and cleaning. It?s shareware so it?s a thirty day free trial, but at least use it for that long.

punkie90

You can call me PK!
    Years
  • Well. For me I don't really care about this computer * kicks it * it a xp, but i don't like it. If i get my aunts compaq i will be haoppy! I will keep it good also.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
    Years
  • Kairi said:
    Oh, I don?t. I?m just curious about it. 2 GB is plenty even with my page file off, which I might add I haven?t had a problem having it off.

I haven't had a problem with 1GB of RAM. I have no need for 2GB even if I run the most memory intensive applications simultaneously (if I start programming C# I will probably need 4GB). ^_^

Arwen said:
    Darn! You guys have more memory than me!!!! I only have 386MB!!!! :-|

Don't you mean 384MB?

punkie90 said:
    I'm nopt shure.. I think i have like 600....

It probably is 640MB.

Kairi said:
    One thing that bugs me when kids take snapshots of their computer?s desktops is the sheer amount of things in their taskbar eating memory. I imagine most kids download so many things over time and have so much running all at startup, which is the reason they complain their computer?s slow. http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm is a great way to find which services in Windows XP to turn off. Not exactly for the amateur, but it?s not rocket science. This can really help speed you up. Get Ad-Aware and run it once a week or so, clear up that PC of all the junk. I clear my prefetch and temp folders once in a while too.
    http://www.acelogix.com/
    Ace Utilities has some nice tools for reg cleaning, tweaking, and cleaning. It?s shareware so it?s a thirty day free trial, but at least use it for that long.

When I started with computers I had a million and 1 things running under Win98. A utility for the time (the systray clock wasn't good enough for me), 2 virus scans, a firewall, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, etc running. The computer was painfully slow at 350MHz. To make things slower, when I first got it, it had 64MB of RAM which made the computer constantly swap to the 5400RPM 8.4GB HD. I put up with it but the blue screens occured 2-3 times a day for me. Probably since I installed an LS-120, Network card, and HD while Dell put in their computers the lowest Watt PSUs to save money. Low Wattage PSU + More components = Not enough power = System crashes. I didn't know any of this back then either. The computer was so unstable that looking at it the wrong way would make it crash. Everytime my mom walked into the room it crashed. ^_^;;

However, the upgrade to Win2k + NTFS helped speed things up 3 fold and by then I was starting to learn I didn't need a million and one things to start so that also helped. I still got BSoDs due to the fact that the PSU couldn't supply the computer with enough power but they were less frequent. Much less frequent. :D

Anyway, I've learned my lesson and my new computer is as solid as a rock. :D

Arwen

Beautiful Elf Maiden(Mod)
    Years
  • Vito Winstrate said:
    What about using Windows 2000 Professional? Windows XP is after all based on it... ME keeps forgetting settings. I went to Windows XP again.

Alyssa, I insist you go and buy Microsoft Virtual PC 2004. It's cheaper than VMWare, and features USB Support (don't they all?), up to 4 GB of RAM allowed on each Guest OS, has become stable and fast, four network adaptors for each PC and more.
    I already spend enough money on Virtual Machine Software and..... I don't want to buy anymore microsoft products except OS and Office.

BTW: vmWare supports more than 4 adapters and I think it supports up to 4 GB... but probally the new verson won't have that freature for windows. Also, more than 4 harddrives... and supports scsi...

Last edited:

punkie90

You can call me PK!
    Years
  • I don't understand why you all spend so much money o your computer.DOn't you do other stuff than just sit on your computer all day. No ofense...

Arwen

Beautiful Elf Maiden(Mod)
    Years
  • Well, I have to upgrade my computer... I need to get things faster and stuff... well basicly, a computer is a tool... not a toy after all.

Anyways... forgot to mention..

Techology is very powerful, very subductive, and very addictive... (just like ciggerettes but you are physically addicted to it.) People in the world that uses techology becomes very dependent to it and when a problem comes up, it becomes worse!

:P

Last edited:

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
    Years
  • Vito Winstrate said:
    What about using Windows 2000 Professional? Windows XP is after all based on it... ME keeps forgetting settings. I went to Windows XP again.

Alyssa, I insist you go and buy Microsoft Virtual PC 2004. It's cheaper than VMWare, and features USB Support (don't they all?), up to 4 GB of RAM allowed on each Guest OS, has become stable and fast, four network adaptors for each PC and more.

Windows XP is superior to it. Thats why. Windows XP has a software firewall (step in the right direction), software restriction policies, prefetching, a much more advanced inductive user interface, video editing capabilites, more stable code (MS recoded several parts of it for stability, performance, and security), etc.

Why the sudden interest in Microsoft Virtual PC 2004? What do you like about it?

punkie90 said:
    Wow! How can I buy more ram?

Go out and buy it. ;)

Arwen said:
    Well, I have to upgrade my computer... I need to get things faster and stuff... well basicly, a computer is a tool... not a toy after all.

Anyways... forgot to mention..

Techology is very powerful, very subductive, and very addictive... (just like ciggerettes but you are physically addicted to it.) People in the world that uses techology becomes very dependent to it and when a problem comes up, it becomes worse!

:P

Don't you mean inductive? Anyway, I am really enjoying my DVDs, pokemon video recording/editing capabilities, and online radio stations. Not to mention my ability to buy songs 88 cents a piece. :)

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    I haven't had a problem with 1GB of RAM. I have no need for 2GB even if I run the most memory intensive applications simultaneously (if I start programming C# I will probably need 4GB). ^_^
    I can?t imagine needing that much for anything, unless you?re just doing everything possible to tax your system. o_o;
    Don't you mean 384MB?
    She probably does. 256+128=384 Unless she somehow obtained a stick of 130? o_o;;;;
    Anyway, I've learned my lesson and my new computer is as solid as a rock. :D
    I learned, but that Gateway was a cesspool of problems. Looking back though, I learned a lot about computers from having to fix it so often. Before I got it, I thought everything was the hard drive. Like, the size of it was the speed and graphics capability of the computer too. ^_^;;

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
    Years
  • punkie90 said:
    Well. How much does more ram costs?
    That depends on what you need, get, how much of it you need, and where you go.

unless you?re just doing everything possible to tax your system.

I am (I set processor affinity so video editing only uses 1 CPU) but still can't manage to get a performance hit. lol

Btw, it is possible to have 256+128+2. I don't think they make 2MB sticks anymore through.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back