• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Computer Question: Should I get Cable Connection?

Should I ditch Dialup and get Cable?

• Yes

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I LOVE DIALUP!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You should get a Lemon. XD

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Sakura and Espeon

Hates being hacked. ;-;
    Years
    Less than 15 days, we are getting rid of AOL for good. After that, I will have no more internet connection. I know that Cable is faster than 56K and they can be shared with other computers, but Should I get a another Dialup Service and keep the 2nd line or get Cable?

and Hurry!! ^_^

BladeForever

[-+= Black Knight =+-]
    Years
    I would go with cable.. More Speed, instant online access, (dont have to wait all day to get on o.O) and etc. I'm sure the main thing is having a lot of speed, and cable is very reliable in that category. (I like it because I could talk to people from my house phone while still online)

~Blade~

aaaaaa

Go cable, only so long as not too many people in your neighbourhood also have cable.

Kyosuke

.·Simple Complexity
    Years
    Cable internet all the way, dial up just slows you down for things you have to do on the internet, and it takes much longer to do simpler tasks then cable, but unless you don't have the money, then stick with dial up, otherwise there should be no thought into getting cable insted of dial up.

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    Get cable. It is really helpful if you do a lot of online gaming or transfering large files. I have Comcast and I have 3 Mps download and about 366Kps upstream. It's awsome.:D

Kyosuke

.·Simple Complexity
    Years
    Thats just a little less then most cable internet monthly charges (usually around $45.00), but their are others out their that you can get for less then that, so just shop around I guess. ^^

Gr8person62.2

*Insert_Evil_Music_Here*
    Years
    If you can get xDSL then get it. It's way better than cable nowadays because everyone else has cable, and it just slowed it down -_- Cable is still better that dialup though, but I would much recommend DSL. Cable costs a lot of money to install too.

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
    DSL > Cable > Dial-up

Try and get DSL, it's normally more reliable than cable. Dial-up... just... sucks...

>>

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    I haven?t had any problems with cable over the past couple years, and my connection is usually a lot faster than most people I speak to with DSL. =\

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2004
    get cable for sure
    i find that dsl is down a lot... and when it does, its for a long time
    as for cable... if its down, its only for a few hours or a day at max
    anyways, thats just my opinion

cheers =DDD

aaaaaa

Ever.
    If you live in an area where no-one else is on cable, get it, for sure. 30Mb/s is **** nice.
    Just remember, everyone in your neighbourhood SHARES that 30Mb/s.
    Not so appealing anymore, no?

Gr8person62.2

*Insert_Evil_Music_Here*
    Years
    I'm lucky, I'v had cable for 4 years(and 2 months) and It's always awsome with me. I have a 10mb speed, so that 1250Kb(bytes). The fastest I'v downloaded at is 800kbps which is sooo awsome ;) I think no one here has cable(maybe a few). I'v never seen it slow down.

aaaaaa

Either way, you may have the speed, but you dont have the volume.
    Whats your cap?

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    I use VDSL for internet. It's faster than dial up and it's relatively
    cheap here. One month's allowance for me.
    Anyway, there are some cable internet services cheaper than dial
    up if you look hard. I recommend cable over dial up.

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
    If you are allowed to get cable, why even think about it? It's way better than dialup; I'm dying to get it XD. (Don't get a lemon, they're sour. And galvanic cells aren't *that* great.)

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
    Cable is only good if you are in an area where other people don't have it. DSL isn't a shared connection, but it will go faster if everyone else is using cable.

*caps out at 1.5 MB/s*

Ashs_grrl

Banned
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Feb 19, 2005
    DSL is way better lol I have it and i love it! :D you should get DSL

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    JKaizer said:
    Cable is only good if you are in an area where other people don't have it. DSL isn't a shared connection, but it will go faster if everyone else is using cable.

*caps out at 1.5 MB/s*

Cable is not only good when no one eles has it. A whole lot of people in my area has cable and it still goes 3x as fast normal Cable/DSL. You really don't need that much faster than that, even for heavy online gaming. Most games you need 128Kps and some even needs 256Kps. Unless you host your own server, there is no need for anything faster.

Pokedragonfire

ph34r |\/|y 1337 n1nj4 5k1||z
    Years
    I have comcast, it is wayyyyy better than dial-up, but it still sucks compared to other cable companies. (SO DON'T GET COMCAST!!!) The only reason I have it is because it is the only one avaliable where I live :( Why would you keep the dial-up, you don't really need it. I mean, maybe for a couple mounths for maybe email or something, but you don't need it.

Back