• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Computer Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    Blue Screen of Death: It is when the whole screen goes blue and says random junk that makes it look like your computer is freaked. Which is most likely true.

More technicly know as a Stop Error. Windows encountered an error and caused HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) to stop responding, usually creates a dump file which can be use full for dignosotic purposes.

Windows 7. The latest and 7th windows OS. Hence the name, 7. It is the most anticipated Windows OS and is been proven to rival and even better Windows Vista.

It should actually be Windows 6.1, as that is the version number. If you are going in order of release then it should be Windows 12, and that is not incluig Professional Editions such as NT, CE, Server(s), or Embedded.

1.Windows 1.0
    2.Windows 2.0
    3.Windows 3.0
    4.Windows 3.1
    5.Windows 95
    6.Windows 98
    7.Windows 98 SE
    8.Windows Me
    9.Windows 2000
    10.Windows XP
    11.Windows Vista
    12.Windows 7

Some more useful Terms:

Active Directory (AD) is a database that stores information about everything on a network, including computer, printers, users etc. Used in Cooperate networks to allow Admins centralized control.

I didn't see these or I am expanding on these:
    DNS Domain Name System - translates a name like www.pokecommunity.com to an IP address like 127.0.0.1 because it is much easier to remember the name of a bunch of websites rather than the IP of a bunch of websites.

IPv4 Internet Protocol version 4 - a 32 bit address used to route communications over a network, uses four octets ranging from 0 -255. Wonder why there is only 255, well because its the largest number that can be expressed in 8 bits in binary. (8 bits x 4 octets = 32 bit address)

IPv6 Internet Protocol version 6 - a 128 bit hexadecimal address used to elevate the exhaustion of v4. address look like this: 2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334

DHCP -Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol - Used by routers to automatically assign a client computer an IP address on the local network, also supplies a Subnetmask, Default Gateway, and the IP address of a local DNS server (usually one provided by your ISP).

WiFi - Wireless Fidelity - See LAN and WLAN

LAN Local area network - used to describe the network of computers in one location (like all the ones in a house or in a class room)

WLAN -Wireless LAN - aka WiFi

WAN - Wide Area Network - a group of LANs or computer over a large location (like a town or a large city block)

NAT Network Address Translation - Used to allow mutiple computers to connect to the internet with one public IP address

Public IP address - an IP address that is routable over the internet

Private IP address- used on the LAN so computer can connect to each other. these address are not routable over the internet (10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255, 192.168.0.0- 192.168.255.255)

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    This thread hasn't been posted in for a year, so I'm considering this the final version. It's being closed. It should have all the relevant terms for newbies to get what people are talking about here.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back