• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Computer virus: Shadow Image?

Mr. Sanders

AaMayL Supporter for life!
Years
  • Hi all.

I got an E-mail a little while ago, and it said it was a virus warning....

I copied the text into word, so we could delete the E-mail (our inbox is pretty full), and was wondering if anyone could tell me if it's a hoax or if it's real? Here it is:

A new computer virus has begun circulating.
    The problem resides in computer code that Microsoft applications use to display JPEG digital image files, an image format found on millions of Web sites. Security experts say hackers used the flaw to embed viruses into digital photos capable of infecting vulnerable PCs as soon as the user visits a malicious Web site or opens a specially-crafted e-mail.
    The new virus, entitled 'Shadow Image' is possibly the most dangerous virus yet. Probably more dangerous than 'My doom', the most problem causing virus to date. When OPENING the FILE, A PHOTO APPEARS THAT BEGINS TO ZOOM IN ON ITSELF, BECOMING LARGER AND LARGER, BUT MEANWHILE the VIRUS REPLICATES IN YOUR COMPUTER, IT DIRECTLY ATTACKS the FILE ALLOCATION TABLE. WHENEVER YOU RUN A PROGRAM, the VIRUS EXECUTES AGAIN. The virus ALSO ELIMINATES ANTI VIRUS SOFTWARE, CREATES AN IP CONFLICT (CONNECTION TO INTERNET) AND WHENEVER IT'S ACCESSED WITH WINDOWS EXPLORER WITH THE INTENTION OF UPDATING YOUR ANTI VIRUS SOFTWARE (THAT WAS ALREADY ERASED) the PHOTO APPEARS AGAIN. WHEN THE ATTEMPT IS MADE TO INSTALL A NEW PROGRAM, THE VIRUS CONNECTS TO THE INTERNET, SENDS ITSELF TO ALL YOUR ADDRESS BOOK ENTRIES, SENDS YOUR USER NAME AND PASSWORD TO THE AUTHOR OF THE VIRUS AND FORWARDS EVERYTHING ON THE HARD DISK TO HIM, LEAVING THE VIRUS as THE ONLY FILE, AND UPON REBOOT, THE VIRUS IS EXECUTED AND EVERYTHING BEGINS AGAIN, LEAVING THE HARD DISK UNUSABLE.
    FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO EVERYBODY IN YOUR CONTACT LIST, IT IS VERY DANGEROUS AND THERE ARE FEW PEOPLE THAT KNOW ABOUT IT.

I can't remember who sent it... But it had been fowarded to us anyway, so I guess that wouldn't have done me any good anyway. But tell me... Is it real?

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Hi all.

I copied the text into word, so we could delete the E-mail (our inbox is pretty full), and was wondering if anyone could tell me if it's a hoax or if it's real? Here it is:

The problem resides in computer code that Microsoft applications use to display JPEG digital image files, an image format found on millions of Web sites. Security experts say hackers could use the flaw to embed viruses into digital photos capable of infecting vulnerable PCs as soon as the user visits a malicious Web site or opens a specially-crafted e-mail.
    The new virus, entitled 'Shadow Image' is possibly the most dangerous virus yet. Probably more dangerous than 'My doom', the most problem causing virus to date.
    When OPENING the FILE, A PHOTO APPEARS THAT BEGINS TO ZOOM IN ON ITSELF, BECOMING LARGER AND LARGER, BUT MEANWHILE the VIRUS REPLICATES IN YOUR COMPUTER, IT DIRECTLY ATTACKS the FILE ALLOCATION TABLE. WHENEVER YOU RUN A PROGRAM, the VIRUS EXECUTES AGAIN. The virus ALSO ELIMINATES ANTI VIRUS SOFTWARE, CREATES AN I P CONFLICT (CONNECTION TO INTERNET) AND WHENEVER IT'S ACCESSED WITH WINDOWS EXPLORER WITH THE INTENTION OF UPDATING YOUR ANTI VIRUS SOFTWARE (THAT WAS ALREADY ERASED) the PHOTO APPEARS AGAIN. WHEN THE ATTEMPT IS MADE TO INSTALL A NEW PROGRAM, THE VIRUS CONNECTS TO THE INTERNET, SENDS ITSELF TO ALL YOUR ADDRESS BOOK ENTRIES, SENDS YOUR USER NAME AND PASSWORD TO THE AUTHOR OF THE VIRUS AND FORWARDS EVERYTHING ON THE HARD DISK TO HIM, LEAVING THE VIRUS as THE ONLY FILE, AND UPON REBOOT, THE VIRUS IS EXECUTED AND EVERYTHING BEGINS AGAIN, LEAVING THE HARD DISK UNUSABLE.
    FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO EVERYBODY IN YOUR CONTACT LIST, IT IS VERY DANGEROUS AND THERE ARE FEW PEOPLE THAT KNOW ABOUT IT.

Its fake, just delete it
    The sole fact that its in Caps is a dead giveaway.
    Microsoft would have put something on their website about it before they sent out emails.

Mr. Sanders

AaMayL Supporter for life!
    Years
  • Its fake, just delete it
    The sole fact that its in Caps is a dead giveaway.
    Microsoft would have put something on their website about it before they sent out emails.

Oh o.k! :) Why do people make up virus hoaxes?
    WHAT THE @#$%&*$ IS THE POINTOF THEM????

Have to say, what the E-mail said had me pretty worried! I seem to recall reading about the danger of viruses hidden in JPEG files somewhere, so that's why it got me so freaked out!

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    To either try and be funny, or they are just bored.

Sometimes, they actually contain viruses with any attachments that come with the emails. They might try and snag you by saying its a Windows Update, or something along those lines.

Reflection

I know the truth...
    Years
  • Hi all.

The problem resides in computer code that Microsoft applications use to display JPEG digital image files, an image format found on millions of Web sites. Security experts say hackers used the flaw to embed viruses into digital photos capable of infecting vulnerable PCs as soon as the user visits a malicious Web site or opens a specially-crafted e-mail.
    The new virus, entitled 'Shadow Image' is possibly the most dangerous virus yet. Probably more dangerous than 'My doom', the most problem causing virus to date. When OPENING the FILE, A PHOTO APPEARS THAT BEGINS TO ZOOM IN ON ITSELF, BECOMING LARGER AND LARGER, BUT MEANWHILE the VIRUS REPLICATES IN YOUR COMPUTER, IT DIRECTLY ATTACKS the FILE ALLOCATION TABLE. WHENEVER YOU RUN A PROGRAM, the VIRUS EXECUTES AGAIN. The virus ALSO ELIMINATES ANTI VIRUS SOFTWARE, CREATES AN IP CONFLICT (CONNECTION TO INTERNET) AND WHENEVER IT'S ACCESSED WITH WINDOWS EXPLORER WITH THE INTENTION OF UPDATING YOUR ANTI VIRUS SOFTWARE (THAT WAS ALREADY ERASED) the PHOTO APPEARS AGAIN. WHEN THE ATTEMPT IS MADE TO INSTALL A NEW PROGRAM, THE VIRUS CONNECTS TO THE INTERNET, SENDS ITSELF TO ALL YOUR ADDRESS BOOK ENTRIES, SENDS YOUR USER NAME AND PASSWORD TO THE AUTHOR OF THE VIRUS AND FORWARDS EVERYTHING ON THE HARD DISK TO HIM, LEAVING THE VIRUS as THE ONLY FILE, AND UPON REBOOT, THE VIRUS IS EXECUTED AND EVERYTHING BEGINS AGAIN, LEAVING THE HARD DISK UNUSABLE.

I can't remember who sent it... But it had been fowarded to us anyway, so I guess that wouldn't have done me any good anyway. But tell me... Is it real?

I looked on the McAfee website's list of hoaxes....
    AND ITS NOT THERE! :( It isn't on ANY list of virus hoaxes I've come across!
    Is there any possibility it IS real?

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I looked on the McAfee website's list of hoaxes....
    AND ITS NOT THERE! :( It isn't on ANY list of virus hoaxes I've come across!
    Is there any possibility it IS real?

It is obviously not -_-

People do crap like this all of the time, emails like if you don't pass this email on to 5 people, you will lose your true love.

Trust me, in this case it was a pretty obvious fake

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • if there is any validity to it, it's that it is a phishing scam, and it's one of many new types of viruses that can attack anyone on any OS. everyone should be aware of them and take precaution whenever you receive any emails from unknown senders.
    But as VC said before this email is a hoax. any real threat like this would be posted on Microsoft's website before emails were sent out, as well as it would appear on other sites such as Symantic and McAffee.
    The moral is: always be cautious around strange emails.

Dashi_sato

New ROMhacker
    Years
  • Oh o.k! :) Why do people make up virus hoaxes?
    WHAT THE @#$%&*$ IS THE POINTOF THEM????

Have to say, what the E-mail said had me pretty worried! I seem to recall reading about the danger of viruses hidden in JPEG files somewhere, so that's why it got me so freaked out!

Actually, it is quite entertaining to write a fake batch virus in notepad and upload it into some non-tech type person's computer and watch them become terrified as the window comes up displaying the message" U have been pwned by a 1337 h4xor"
    And even more entertaining to watch them try to read 1337 5p34k.

I have written those before and fooled people, and I have one secret weapon virus prank.

supertails

Dictator
    Years
  • Hi all.

This is fake. Scams aren't illegal and this is a good one.

Back