• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

C'on, just give up and stay in the pokeball!!!!!

Years
  • So, after bringing it down to the amount that you can't see it's health anymore on the bar, 25 ultra balls, and making it go to sleep about 4 times, I have not been able to catch zapdos. do all legendary pokemon have something "special" that makes them really annoying to catch? and there are some of you who have caught legendaries on the first try with a regular pokeball.

Discuss.

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
  • I was wondering the same thing. I was trying to catch lugia, it was paralyzed and had only 1 hp left. Yet, it still took forever to catch. I catch a lot of regular Pokemon with full health and a plain Poke Ball, but my chance of doing that with a legend is like 99.9% not gonna happen. I'm like, why do you want to see me if you're gonna give me such a hard time?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I've had a lot of those problems before. But not with Lugia for some reason. I paralyzed him, had Ampharos use discharge, then threw 4 ultra balls at it. And it was caught. I guess I was just lucky. But I remember back in Pearl going after Regigigas for like 3 days. Catching legendaries requires patience. They're called legendary for a reason. Just make sure you have a lot of ultra balls, and someone in your party who is capable of taking hits so you don't have to worry about your pokemon fainting.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • This also is not specific to HGSS as other games have hard-to-catch legendary Pokemon. =P Hence moved it here.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2013
    i think they do because i cant catch this suicune for nothing D:< i need to save this masterball....

Years
  • Plus, I caught moltres on like the 3rd ultra ball, by just bringing it down to like 1 hp, with no status problems and I also get times which i through an ultra ball at it, it shakes 3 times, then at the last second, boom, comes back out....happens like 3 times in a battle, before i run out of pokeballs.

iRawr

Poli?
    Years
    • Uk
    • Seen Apr 5, 2010
    Yeah, My bet its rigged o.0||
    But yeah the catch rate is lowered on Legends to make it a challenge =d

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2010
    It's not rigged, or unusual, different Pokemon have different catch rates. What this means is simply that some (Zapdos) are harder to catch then others (Pidgey), many times over. Although you do seem to have exceptionally bad luck; it did not take me that much Ultra Balls for the legendaries....In fact, I use Luxury Balls most of the time, and Luxury Balls are essentially Poke Balls.

Years
  • So I was reading this thread and then before you even said it was a Zapdos, I was thinking about the time I was trying to catch my Zapdos in LeafGreen! So I feel your pain, very similar stories +(

akamichi

Back......For Now [Active]
    Years
  • catching legendary pkm is a hard task to do just try to focus mainly on the targets hp then worry about sleep conditons there a real pain to catch give it some time.

Years
  • catching legendary pkm is a hard task to do just try to focus mainly on the targets hp then worry about sleep conditons there a real pain to catch give it some time.

well, i bring 'em down to like 1 hp then i use sleep, but yeah, it is a hard task to catch them.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • do all legendary pokemon have something "special" that makes them really annoying to catch?
    Discuss.

yep they do. imagine if you were a badass legendary, would you want to be captured on the first try? it doesn't help with your reputation.

The Red Chain

Every legendary except Mew, Celebi, Shaymin, Kyorge, and Groudon have catch rates of 3.
    Not counting legendaries you hatch like Manaphy and Phione of course.
    The lowest catch rate in the game is 3.. so it's obviously no cake walk to catch em unless you have some serious luck.

But I do still think that secretly the game cheats. >o>

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • I caught a Giratina once with a Luxury Ball. Besides that, every other Legendary Pokemons gave me a hard time when I was trying to capture them. At one time, I ran out of Poke balls and had to restart the game. At other times, the Legendary would be so beaten up that it would start using Struggle, which is suicide! Ugh, if only they would comply and stay in that ball.

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2010
    Every legendary except Mew, Celebi, Shaymin, Kyorge, and Groudon have catch rates of 3.
    Not counting legendaries you hatch like Manaphy and Phione of course.
    The lowest catch rate in the game is 3.. so it's obviously no cake walk to catch em unless you have some serious luck.

But I do still think that secretly the game cheats. >o>

Actually, Dialga and Palkia both have a catch rate of 30 (Giratina, though, does have a 3 as well)

But yeah, hard to catch legendaries are pretty standard, and accurate, if you ask me. I just wish legendaries had more varied catch rates...

Back