• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Concerning Brock, Tracey and Cilan

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    I'll leave out XY given it's just starting. Anyways, it bugged me how Brock, Tracey and Cilan were brought onto the show only to amount to literally zilch. Little to no character arc, little involvement in any major plots. More often than not, they felt like they were added to the show at the very last minute because of some obligation to give the cast more than two people.

I'm not trying to hate them and I don't want to. But aside from Brock being a wise mentor yet quicky character in OS, he really deteriorated during AG and more so in DP. Cilan was just... there to be all bishonen-y and crazily geeky. Tracey... was just there as a stand in for Brock.

I mean, can't Ash just get Take-Out?

Thoughts?

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
    Years
  • I completely agree with that part on Brock. I love the guy, but I was a bit worn out with him by Battle Frontier.

Cilan, I suppose, acted as the de facto travel guide and chef (and they never missed an opportunity to remind us that he was one). Let's face it though, if left to their own devices, Ash and (moreso) Iris wouldn't be able to tell their heads from their asses, let alone successfully navigate through an entire region. Unlike Iris, he was actually useful. That said, I found him very irritating.

I forgot that Tracey even existed. He did nothing, served no useful purpose and the only person that he's had some use to since his introduction was Professor Oak (and that was off screen).

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    Let's face it though, if left to their own devices, Ash and (moreso) Iris wouldn't be able to tell their heads from their asses, let alone successfully navigate through an entire region.

Well, unless Iris had a Town Map (I mean, why couldn't she?) or a story is written where they overcome this issue. You know, because you don't need a whole character to serve this menial purpose and can have characters solve their own problems.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    I didn't like Tracy, he added nothing in my opinion. Brock is still my favourite in front of the 4 we've had. But I'll agree that by season 8 or 9 I was starting to get a bit tired of him, especially with the croagunk skit in just about every sinnoh episode. I'm only in half way through season 14, but Cilan is already doing my nut in. When they introduce themselves to someone the "a pokemon connoisser" line makes me want to punch the TV. Its so annoying to me, maybe it is just me.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Out of these three, Brock would have to be my most favorite. He added a lot of comedy to whatever series he was in, and he also had ability to become serious whenever he was required. Cilan's great, but he's usually more of a business kind of guy and doesn't associate himself with comedy, romance, or anything else, and same could be said for Tracey. :b

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • It never much bothered me that there was little development of Brock's character, because he really wasn't the main character, Ash was. I can understand why he didn't get as much focus.

Back