• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Concerns about the Anime

Is Season 1 of the Pokemon Anime better than the current anime?

• Season 1 was better

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • The current anime is better.

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    To be honest...
    The current anime is not as fun as original series in my opinion for a couple of reasons.
    • The animation was better in original series
    • Ash's companions in original series provided me more enjoyment- for example- Misty
    • the story lines were better in original series
    • and there are excessive amount of Pokemons in the later animes.
    This is just my opinion, so feel free to agree or disagree.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2017
    I agree, I got tired after the blue hair girl & I really didn't like Piplup

Then the movies were poor especially the latest one with Mew"Two"

Years
  • Hey furioe, we've actually got a forum dedicated entirely to the Pokemon Anime, so I'm going to move this thread over there for you!

And personally, I always enjoyed the original season of the anime, but there was some great stuff later on too, including the Orange Islands and Johto sagas. I've also heard good things about the X/Y series, though haven't got around to watching it myself. Always good to go in with an open mind, though!

MOVED.

Years
  • First of all thanks for posting. I have to say some things about this.
    While most people prefer watching first seasons because of nostalgia including me, I disagree that the first season is the best one.
    It was quite rushed in my opinion. I prefer the Johto, Hoenn etc. However, the first season had some epic battles, for example Charizard vs Magmar which is great!
    So, in my opinion, I'm voting no. The first season isn't the best.

Years
  • I'm with Kostas on this because the later seasons have actually had their fair share of great moments. Both the Diamond & Pearl and XY series had well-developed characters and two of the most popular female leads with Dawn and Serena. I also loved Ash's rivalry with Paul in DP, and while XY didn't really see Ash have a main rival until late he did reach the league final for the first time plus it was well animated.

I get why you like the Kanto saga but as you can see opinions are opinions and that's okay.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Sadly the Kanto saga has not aged well despite kicking off the franchise.

For animation - S1 is actually the worst. This however is to be expected, given the developments of animation over twenty years.

As for everything else, that's opinion based so I'm not going to disagree too much, other than I do disagree. Paul was a better rival than Gary IMO, because of the contrasting style between Paul and Ash. The later Pokégirls also had their own goals that were fleshed out (despite me not liking Serena, I can't argue that she didn't have her goals - should have been more fleshed out but I attribute that to painful pacing).

Will give credit though, Brock was relevant in that saga.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I like that season 1 and 2 had the whole story contained within one season rather than stretching one story out over 3-4 seasons like the ones after. The first season isn't high quality or anything, but it was just fun.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    I do have to be honest, the first season of the anime was much better then the AG/DP/BW/XYZ animes put together.

The current anime lack a lot of the original series feel that made show so great in the first season, the new characters are not all that great like the original series characters which were really great namely Misty, she was much better then May/Dawn/Iris/Serena put together, because she was the original and we knew her for a very long time. It's a shame that the anime went to crap with the Hoenn series, and it hasn't recover since. The show should have ended in Johto because everything was coming to a wonderful closed with the Original series characters, but instead they decided to drag it on and on ruining the shows characters by having them go to AG which kill the anime.

Last edited:

Guest123_x1

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the Original Series anime is more fun than more recent arcs. Up until the Johto region, it seemed to me the majority of episodes back then had stories that were engaging enough to follow along with. I've watched a few Kalos episodes, and none of them seem to have that "charm" or the ability to follow along with the story as the Original Series did.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I have to disagree. As said opinions are opinions.

For me, original series was terrible. Probably the worse and I have watch since it started.

Animation was terrible back then.
    The characters were more annoying.
    Things got old. Brock being on every girl.
    Johto was basically a copy paste of Kanto.
    I hated the way Ash acted.
    I hated that he didn't earn any of his badges other than maybe 1 or 2 in Kanto.
    Kanto and Johto were both filler fests and I hated most of the fillers back then while in Kalos, I loved every single episode other than a few at the start.
    Original Series had a crappy storyline and was not written well.
    I hated that the character never changed when the character we had were not changing at all.

All the newer character, especially May, Dawn, and Serena all had great development. Misty had nothing. Brock had nothing. They stayed the same the entire time. Gary had more character development than both Misty and Brock combined. Brock changed the most in Sinnoh.

Back