• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Conficker-the major virus bomb of 09 said to lay down its might on april 1st.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I have a dual-boot setup with Fedora and Vista. My Vista installation is only used to browse a few sites (Slashdot, GameFAQs, Wikipedia, Google, and a few others), all of which I've put on a whitelist; all other sites are forced to run in a secure mode with most functionality disabled. Vista has Kaspersky, COMODO Firewall, and Privoxy in case something accesses IE, and both OSes' Firefox installations are using Adblock Plus; Firefox on Vista is running in a sandbox, as well. I think I'm relatively safe.

That's actually what I was planning on doing.
    I was thinking I could shut down my computer on the 31st and not start it up again for a few days.

I'm running Windows and I was actually meaning to get some high quility virus protection, I guess now would be a better time than ever.
    Good thing I've got enough money to head into my local PC shop and buy the best virus protection program I can find.

If you're willing to pay, I suggest getting Kaspersky or NOD32. Otherwise, get Avast!, Avira, or AVG. Stay away from Norton or McAfee.

Last edited:

羨望

のトレーナー
    Years
    No worry's here I got OpenSolaris installed a few weeks ago,Trough I am worry about my Moms Laptop
    Which Runs XP But I have it fully update.Since last reinstall of windows.Its currently running Avast(RE) Is it Protected.

~Envy

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    Do people still run anti virus?

Tin foil hats much. :P

bgt

R A W R
    Years
    • Age 15
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    I heard about this like a week ago. Oh well, I run OSX.

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    Think about it though, where are you going to get these?

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Where? So far millions of computers are infected. Those infected will act as servers of sorts to spread the most deadly form of this virus without conficker a and b. Its also a P2P virus as well so its like a super internet hack that can connect every computer infected to the main one and drain all the info about people. I would say that im not worried cause i have one of the best AV's(nod32) and an updated windows but damn those viruses can evolve to become unknown to your anti virus database and find a hole in the patch.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Eureka1 is right, in almost every case AV programs are like tin foil hats. xD
    Only just now considering the date, I don't think it's going to happen. Unless I get a root source from someone, neh. I'll stay tuned though and if it turns out to be real it'll be time to jump into the Linuxmobile.

Last edited:

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Oh my Gawd, what a shame.

Doesn't the "April 1" activation date and "Millions panicking" sound a little related to you?

No? Well I guess I'll just unplug my computer that day and not use it at all.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    No, that's because of some recently discovered Zero Day exploits in all the browsers.
    Malware authors are pushing and probing more lately for crashes and glitches they can exploit.

twocows

Years
    Or... how about a better idea? Use your computer, but don't connect to the internet.

And what's so bad about AVG? I'm just curious...
    It's not bad, it's just not great. Avast! and Avira are both free as well, and they do a better job while using fewer resources. As for paid stuff, Kaspersky and NOD32 outpace all three of them.

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2010
    a virus you say? hmm i have never heard of it.... well now im kinda discouraged from using my Windows on the 1st.... i probably sound like a total idiot right now but what does this virus do to your PC anyway? delete info? or just damage your computer?

twocows

Years
    They don't know yet. It's a worm that's said to activate on the first.

This is a misconception. April 1st is a trigger date, in which the worm will switch the way it looks for updates. The worm has already experienced numerous such dates, none of which have severely impacted IT functions. Source

a virus you say? hmm i have never heard of it.... well now im kinda discouraged from using my Windows on the 1st.... i probably sound like a total idiot right now but what does this virus do to your PC anyway? delete info? or just damage your computer?
    Conficker saves a randomly named dll file to your computer, and loads itself upon startup as a service. Once in memory, it checks for updates daily, slowing your connection and allowing it to potentially cause more damage at any point in the future if left alone. Currently, it disables numerous Windows processes, such as Windows Automatic Update, Windows Security Center, Windows Defender, and Windows Error Reporting, and it resets all system restore points. It also watches for a list of antiviral or system restoring programs, and if one is executed, it immediately terminates it, making removal a problem. Furthering this, it blocks the infected computer from accessing websites related to anti virus software or manual removal of the worm. It also brute-forces administrator passwords so it can gain further access to the infected system.

Conficker initially spread through an already-patched vulnerability in the Server service which many computers have not patched. Updates have allowed it to spread to patched or unpatched computers through removable media, such as USB flash drives, by exploiting the autorun feature in Windows. It can also spread through shared folders enabled on a network.

There are a number of ways you can tell if you have been infected with Conficker. If you truly are infected, you will be unable to access most antivirus vendor websites. Your internet connection will be slightly slower than normal, and various Windows services, such as Automatic Updates, Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), and Windows Defender and Error Reporting Services will be disabled.

If you are extremely worried about infection, I recommend you apply all relevant updates at https://update.microsoft.com/ or through the Windows Update function built into Vista. Note that if you are using anything earlier than Windows XP, or Windows XP without a service pack or with only service pack 1 installed, there is no patch available to fix the vulnerability, and it is advised that you upgrade your OS to a version that is currently supported. If that is impossible, I recommend getting a good anti-virus program, such as Kaspersky, NOD32, Avast!, AVG, or Avira (the last three are free for personal use).

Also avoid using a flash drive that has been in contact with any other computer, or disable Windows' autoplay and autorun features; these are detailed here and here, respectively (note that these are advanced fixes that require editing of the Windows registry; do not deviate from the steps outlined in these pages). Finally, I recommend allowing only read-only access to shared folders on your computer, as one of the ways the virus spreads is through shared folders on networked computers. For information on how to do this, refer to this document (Symantec).

If you are certain your computer is infected, assume that any removable media (such as flash drives) and any networked computers are also infected. Do not use your infected removable media with any uninfected computers, as this will spread the worm to them. Also, isolate any infected computers on a network and fix them at the same time.

If you are not on a network, use either KKiller or EConfickerRemover (note that KKiller refers to Conficker as "Kido"), both of which I have attached to this post as you will be unable to access the removal tools on their respective websites (Kaspersky and Eset). I do not recommend using both unless one fails to work, as I have not tested using both of these tools on the same computer.

If you are on a small infected network, I recommend that you disconnect all computers from the network, and remove the virus using the above method for each individual computer.

If you are on a large network, I recommend that you have someone with sufficient tech experience use the Sophos Conficker Clean-up Tool (network version), which I have also attached (sconftool). They should be able to remove the worm from any affected systems.

Once you have run the respective tools, follow the above steps for preventing infection, especially disabling autorun and autoplay. Once these are disabled, insert any infected media into the computer, and delete "autorun.inf" from the base directory of the media, then navigate to the folder called "RECYCLER" and delete any directories labeled "S-". The RECYCLER folder may be hidden; if so, navigate to it through the run dialogue (windows key + R) or the address bar. If this doesn't work, follow the below steps, also unchecking "Hide protected operating system files." Be sure to recheck this box after removing the worm.

If the "S-" folder(s) is/are hidden, you will need to select the "Tools" menu on the window, select "Folder Options," and then select the "View" tab. There will be an option to allow you to view hidden files and folders; select it, and then click "OK." Then, simply delete any folders that begin with "S-".

If you have any more problems with Conficker, I recommend running a complete virus scan using your antivirus software. If that doesn't help, contact your antivirus vendor for solutions.

NOTE on attached files: if you don't trust that the files are safe, feel free to run them through VirusTotal's virus scanner, located here. Or, if you'd rather not, you can simply look at the scans I ran on them here, here, and here. Generally speaking, if only a few results are shown, it's assumed that they're false positives.

Legal Disclaimer:

This software is unavailable to its end users through its normal means of distribution, and no license agreement is provided for the software in question. As such, I believe the distribution of this possibly copyrighted software constitutes "fair use" under section 107 of US Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107).

UPDATE:
    A site has released an easy to use chart that lets you tell almost instantly if you have Conficker. Link here.

UPDATE 2:
    https://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/22/1243213
    Nmap claims to have a better tool for detecting Conficker. Haven't tried it, but if you want to give it a go, feel free.

Last edited:
    Back