• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Confused about Hacks

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2020
    Yes, I read the sticky explaining what a hack is and etc. And I know what I'm doing can technically be called "Hacking". But when I read the threads about what all of you have accomplished I feel like what I do is nothing at all in comparison.

I used to use No$GBA as my emulator until my boyfriend gave me a CycloDS.(Google that if you don't know what that is; they're AMAZING) And that's what I've been using to play SS, Pt, and Black on my DS Lite. But, since those are ROMs and all, I sometimes use PokeGen(Google that too if you don't know about it) for event Pokemon and to make Pokemon that know certain moves for breeding purposes.

With PokeGen though I can make my Pokemon look completely legal. You can look at their stats and go, "Oh that's legit" and wouldn't know the difference unless I told you. 'Cause I don't modify stats. I'm hacking yet I don't feel like a hacker. And when I read about what goes on in this section I certainly don't feel like a hacker.

So now I'm confused. I know that I've been told what I'm doing is hacking. Yet my Pokemon come out looking legit. And like I keep saying, in comparison what I do doesn't even seem like hacking. So am I a real hacker or not?

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • There's a difference between hacking and ROM hacking. "ROM hacking" involves modifying the data of the read-only memory while "hacking" in general is a broader term and encompasses things like hacking save data.

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2012
    There's a difference between hacking and ROM hacking. "ROM hacking" involves modifying the data of the read-only memory while "hacking" in general is a broader term and encompasses things like hacking save data.

QFT, but I have something to add to that, in a less technical way.

To put it simply, ROM Hacking is going into the ROM and changing the core stuff inside, but just hacking is going into (usually) temporary files to change.

For example:
    Rom Hack - A new version of Pokemon Ruby that has new pokemon and new maps.

Hack - A cheat for Pokemon Ruby that gives you 99 masterballs.

See the difference? A ROM hack changes the ROM file, and a Hack changes the save data (like the amount of masterballs in your inventory).

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2020
    Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarifying. I get a little confused about that sometimes. Especially when I read in a battle thread somewhere about "no hacked pokemon".

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2012
    Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarifying. I get a little confused about that sometimes. Especially when I read in a battle thread somewhere about "no hacked pokemon".

Glad to help. They just mean that they don't want you hacking in a lvl 100 Reshiram with awesome battle moves and maxed out stats.

Back