• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Congratulations On 20 Years

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
  • While it may seem a bit early to celebrate, I don't see why we can't anyway. This year in 2015, Pokemon will have been registered for twenty years. Holy moly where did the time fly? While the games graced the market in 1996 ('98), the Pokemon name has been in the 'market' for two decades. Are you guys psyched? I know I am.

I remember the first time I've ever played the games. After playing some of the most difficult games the Gameboy had to offer, I was looking for something that didn't require as much difficulty. Some of the RPGs I had been playing had your characters flat out die in the game, and that was a sweaty palm situation no matter what I did, but I digress. I was watching Television one morning trying to bust out the door and beheld a curious site of a vacuum cleaner sucking up quite a few colorful creatures. What was that all about? I didn't think much of it, because it was a ridiculous commercial. A vacuum cleaner to advertise a game? Really? Are the games really so boring that they needed a vacuum to advertise them? I shook my head and went on my merry way.

Much to my surprise, someone gave me Pokemon Blue as a gift a few weeks later. I didn't ask for it, and I didn't think I would play it to be honest. I mean come on! I was killing zombies with my sword. I was slaying Dragons with Nuke spells, and tackling skeletons and mutants with Cure 1. I'm sure that 'catching' things wasn't going to be on my list of priorities. I thanked them "Thank you so much for the game!" and so on and so forth, and if I remember correctly, I was more interested in how they were doing than the game itself.

I didn't think I'd play the game and look where I'm at now. I've been a part of this from the very beginning and I would not trade that experience for the world. I believe it was my grandmother that bought me the game, and unfortunately she passed away a year or two later, so she'll never know how glad I am that she bought that game on a whim, but I sure am glad she did. I still have the original guide book that it came with. The pages are falling out, and it's very beat up but it's moved with me more than a dozen times. I think I even have an unopened copy of Pokemon blue with a new guide book in the garage. I'll be sure to find it later.

So, discuss how the games and culture have affected you personally. Which game did you play first? Did you think they would have exploded into what they are now? Because I sure didn't: Trading cards, mugs, badges, T-shirts, games, consoles, foods, hats, shoes, and many more. Wow. tell us, how do you feel? I feel old. . . and privileged to see it through the years, and hopefully many more years to come.

Oh and I almost forgot:

Happy 20th Anniversary Pokemon!

*technically it's next year for the games but legally, it's this year.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    Pokémon Sapphire: succeeding where there PS2 failed since... since... damn, I don't even remember. I played the hell out of that and beat my brother's ass while he struggled with Ruby. Got FireRed, beat it but hacked it funny so I couldn't get to the Elite Four. Kinda drifted off there, but then I got Emerald. That kinda cemented my fanboyism.

Years
  • 20 years? I still remember first getting the chance to play from this franchise in late 1998, that sure does feel like a long time ago. But i've played through the games so many times in the chances that i've had with every one of them, seriously i've logged over 1500 hours since at least 2012 alone when B2W2 released...geez, do I not have a life?! o_O

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Crazy how quick it's all gone, but congratulations Pokémon! I'm looking forward to seeing what they have lined up for their 20th anniversary gaming year in 2016.

Nakala Pri

I remember the good ol' Pokemon Stadium days. :') I was just a wee mite... and I broke the controller and erased the data. I was such a cute child. ^__^

MERRY ANNIVERSARY POKEMON!!

Thanks for teaching me that blowing faces off isn't the only fun in life!

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Is been 20 years? Wow time flies when your thunder shocking everyone in sight!

HAPPYAnniversaryPokemon!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It's great to see them running the franchise like this for 20 years; here's to many more!

Aside from games, what I really do enjoy about Pokémon is their anime. Although I don't precisely follow it regularly as I used to, their show has still provided me with a ton of fun-filled memories. It's what got me into Pokémon, thinking about it; I likely wouldn't have been as big of a fan if it weren't for that.

Of all seasons, one of my most favorites is definitely Advanced Generation. Characters, story, events, music, and other aspects they have had in it were all extraordinary; they had always been able to appeal without any trouble at all. I've tuned in each and every week to watch primarily because of these qualities; would definitely go back in time if given the chance to re-experience those days.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • Wow 20 years.....
    I'm as old as Red and Blue US I suppose. XD
    My aunt had an indigo GBA when they first came out and let me and my cousins play Super Mario World on it. At one point there was a different game, blue with paper semi torn off of it. There was a large cool looking turtle on the front. My cousin let me start up a game and I loved it. I remember Oak telling me specifically not to go into the tall grass, so when I got Charmander I stayed away from the grass entirely until I asked my younger cousin how to get to the grass outside of Pallet(the stuff off to the side) and he left Pallet normally. I felt stupid but I beat Brock with only Charmeleon and felt like we could go on like that, just me and him.~
    Another time when I was young I had looked over at the TV and the Kanto Anime started up and I loved the music and everything was so cool that I decided that would be my favorite cartoon. I love kid me.
    Throughout the years I forgot about Pokemon after that, until my grandma bought me a GBA for my birthday and I got to choose two games, so I chose Sapphire. My sister got FireRed shortly after and I convinced myself there was a WaterBlue because I played Blue so long ago. I also thought there was an EmeraldGrass version.....
    Now I occasionally watch the anime, buy new games, and read Pokemon Adventures too much. :3

CHEERS POKEMON, TO YOUR 20TH BIRTHDAY!!!

Keitaro

Urashima
    Years
  • Been there from the start! Nothing will ever be the same like it was when it first hit the scene, but I'm glad it is still going and newer generations get to experience the fun. (the anime not so much lol).

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Some say that we will see Red/Blue/Green remakes in Kanto again now that 20th anni is coming up. :x I want to not believe that. I think it's too early for people to want to play through Kanto again already (HG/SS having given us the most recent version).

In any case, Pokémon has been around for nearly my whole life and shaped me in so many subtle ways. Thanks, pokemon creators <3

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2015
    20 years are a great achievement for a franchise. I remember even now the day when I was seeing, interested, that blue looking cartridge in a shop, long time ago. Some days after that, Christmas came, and i remember greatly the moment when I saw that Blue "thing" with a Game Boy under the tree.

The thing that i can say now is, congratulation Game Freak.

Some say that we will see Red/Blue/Green remakes in Kanto again now that 20th anni is coming up. :x I want to not believe that. I think it's too early for people to want to play through Kanto again already (HG/SS having given us the most recent version).

In any case, Pokémon has been around for nearly my whole life and shaped me in so many subtle ways. Thanks, pokemon creators <3
    Well, other than the fact that Pokemon has reached 20 years, think about that the 1st generation is the only one that can' t be played on a 3DS. Who knows, maybe not this year but I think that they will make other Red/Blue/Green remakes.

pkmin3033

Well, it's aged better than any of Nintendo's other franchises.

...it doesn't feel like twenty years. Although that's probably because it didn't hit shores here until 1999, so whilst I've been a fan of the franchise since the first episode of the anime aired over here - I got Red shortly after that - I haven't been with it for twenty years yet.

It's nice to see the franchise hit a milestone like this, though - not much else from my childhood has remained, and what else has remained has either been inconsistent in quality over the years, or is now just outright terrible. Despite my almost losing interest entirely in the fifth generation, Pokemon continues to impress and delight. Here's to another twenty years!

...a little slower this time, though. I don't want to be in my forties just yet. xD

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
  • I remember the first I got to know pokemon.

It was a day in 2005, and I watched the episode "I choose you" in french. The rest is history.

Back