• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Considered Cheating?

FloatingMew

Keeping 1 post a day ^^
Years
  • Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in but the Emulator forum looked like it was just for hacks.

I want Pokecommunity's opinion on if it is cheating to download/gameshark/whatever you can use, to get events on Pokemon emulator games. For example: I'm going to be playing through Pokemon leafgreen on an emulator soon, is it cheating to gameshark the deoxys event into the game when I beat it since it is impossible to get it any other way? x3

Years
  • I know that some LP'ers like MunchingOrange and PurpleRodri did that with Arceus in HGSS, so I wouldn't really say (although those were both done through emulation also). If you wanted to just witness it for yourself, by all means I wouldn't care.

Shhmew

Years
  • Well the question is not whether this is cheating or not, it's whether you're okay with cheating or not.

Because, yeah that is definitely considered cheating because you're using a cheating device to obtain something you couldn't normally obtain. But if you're okay with that, then by all means do it; you're the one playing the game, so you should do what works for you. :) Some people cheat out the wazoo, and others are super meticulous about keeping their game completely free of hacks/cheats, immediately releasing any pokemon they have obtained that could be hacked in some way because of personal morals or fear that their game will be corrupted. So ultimately it's left up to each individual player; just do what feels right.

I should also mention that there's literally zero harm in cheating on an Emulator, except that it may "ruin your experience" if you don't feel okay with it. The biggest argument against cheating/hacking in Pokemon is that you can then use the pokemon you received effortlessly to trade for others that were obtained from hard work. But since you can't trade on an emulator (as far as I know), no one can really protest it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    You are using a cheating device, but only for something that you could do legitimately, so… I wouldn't exactly call it cheating. If you were using these codes to maximize all your Pokémon's 999 and whatnot, then that would be a complete different story. d:

FloatingMew

Keeping 1 post a day ^^
    Years
  • Thanks for the feedback. I'm one of the people that never cheat in any game since it DESTROYED my pokemon diamond version. I was only asking as it is just an emulator and a legitimate nintendo event that happened before I knew what a Pokeymanz was. :P

mangamusicfan

The Lost one.
    Years
  • In my opinion.
    Yes its cheating, ur using a device to do something what you normaly can't do.
    But do what you want, I mean who care's?

Burakki Tsuki

Now playing Pokemon again! :D
    Years
  • I was in a rush to get back into the series so I used Action Replay for rare candies to speed up the grinding in Platinum and White 2. I wanted to play Y as fast as I could without feeling I was missing pieces. I will certainly play them again sometime when I have the time.

I don't see myself ever cheating in Y.

Years
  • I cheat all the time on an emulator. But at the same time, there is times where I don't cheat on a system, because it can destroy it and I paid good money for that system. But it is your decision. =D

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I had this discussion with a few people about this, I wouldn't say it was cheating, because technically you haven't hacked the Pokemon encounter in. As long as the event has been done in the past, I think unlocking the event via Gameshark/Action Replay should be fine imo.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • The way I see it is that if you're comfortable doing it, go ahead. It's your game, play how you want! However, when your fun impedes on others', that's where I draw the line. Don't battle with your obvious game-breaking hacks, and don't trade hacks either. A lot of people don't want hacked Pokemon, and if that's the case, make sure you respect their wishes.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • On an emulator I'd more okay with it. With my actual/physical game, not so much. I don't want to losing all my data if the game is corrupted. It It's up to you though. I don't hack or cheat unless it's not over the top like 99 Masterballs.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2017
    I think it's okay, for the Pokedex entries or for Pokemon that would normally be REALLY HARD for you to catch. I used a cheat to unlock the event to get Groudon in Soulsilver, because I know my chances of getting a Ruby cartridge would be rare since it's kind of old now :V. On the chance that I DO get Pokemon Ruby, I'd catch Groudon in that game, and then release my hacked one. :3

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
    Years
  • Technically, it is cheating. However, it's your game, and no one is going to stop you from playing it how you want to.

Personally, I'm not one to hack in legendaries or whatever in the wild really early on, but if you do so with the event items, and only use them when they'd normally be usable, then it's a-ok.

Back