• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Contest, Pokeathlon or Musical?

What is your favorite sidequest in the Pokemon games?

• Total voters
Years
  • In our favorite Pokemon games, we have little sidequests waiting for us.

And we have three to talk about!

- Pokemon Contests and Super Contests (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)
    - Pokeathlon (HeartGold & SoulSilver)
    - Pokemon Musical (Black & White)

Vote for your fave and tell us why by asking these questions.

Which is your favorite and why?
    What features do you like about it?
    What Pokemon do you often use?

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2011
    I voted for pokemon Contests and Super Contests because for me it was either between that or pokemon musical because i havent played HG/SS so i dont know what pokeathlon is :(

Pokemon musical was to boring for me....

Eagledelt

=)?
    Years
  • Which is your favorite and why? Pokemon Contests because Hoenn is my favourite region. They were also cool in Sinnoh, and doing the contests was actually fun in these two regions.
    What features do you like about it? I preffer the Contests because it creates a greater interaction with the game. You get berries, make PkBlocks/Poffins, you can get cool Pokemon out of it, like Milotic and it is cool to use your attacks in a diferent way.
    What Pokemon do you often use? Milotic, Lucario, Starter Pokemon.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Pokethlon > Gen III contest > Gen IV contest > Musical

Pokethlon has GREAT prizes, gen III contests are nostalgic and I spent a while working on contest move sets, gen IV eh, I haven't even gone to a musical cause it just...doesn't look appealing.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I loved Pokemon Contests especially from Gen III. Lots of fun with raising specific Pokemon for a specific contest type and all. I really liked making PokeBlocks, it gave the berries a time to shine in-game.

Pokemon I used a lot were Milotic, a given for a Beauty Contest, Pichu, for a Cute Contest, and something like Machamp for Tough Contests.

Years
  • I voted Musical cos it's the easiest of the three and I enjoyed Black & White because of it.

I mostly enter my Oshawott, Elgyem and Gothitelle in Musicals, although I sometimes may use other Pokemon from time to time.

Pokeathlon was OK, but there was only one course I was good at (Stamina), at least they have nice prizes to make up for it including evolutionary stones.

I often entered my Miltank, Wigglytuff and Blissey in the Stamina course. Miltank is my shining star in this course.

As for Contests, Hoenn's contests were really hard cos you could actually lose points.

Sinnoh improved on that by introducing accessories and no losing points, enjoyed Sinnoh's contests better (sorry Hoenn lovers!)

I often used a variety of Pokemon in the Sinnoh Contests.

But Musical wins it for me because of the accessories (Props) and the motion as well. The Pokeathlon has good prizes but Stamina is the only course I'm good at and I always enter my Miltank.

So yeah, I'm a Musical lover (in fact, the only user who voted Musical on the poll)

Come on, we need more Musical lovers!

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Pokeathlon for me. Most variety and for myself anyways the most fun. More of a challenge too due to the variety as if you want to beat it fully you have to become good at all nine games rather than say contests in which it's the same sort of challenge, or the musical in which it's...uh, dressing them up? =/

Contests by far over musicals on that note, and the RSE ones were better than the underwhelming 'Super' contests too imo.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • Pokeathlon for me, for sure. I actually really enjoyed playing it, and the fact that it made it possible to get Evolutionary stones before the league was awesome!

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Pokeathalon was my favorite, it was just really fun and interactive and the prizes were worth playing for.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    I liked the Pokeathlon. The minigames were fun, there was a lot of variety, and you could get some great prizes.

Years
  • Which is your favorite and why?/ What features do you like about it?
    Pokeathlon- it has worthwhile prizes, more interactive, faster than the contests, and I actually spend more time going all glowy for my team members than getting mildly irritated by what other competitors are doing.
    Each pokemon actually has things that it's naturally good and bad at, and things vary between individual pokemon, and different pokemon species have different potentials.
    Also that you don't have to mess around with movesets to do it, so you can freely use a pokemon between the pokeathlon and battle, whereas in the Contest Generations a pokemon was generally either a battler or a contestant.
    The variety of different competitions is also nice.

SS is ALWAYS typhlosion, arbok, ?... becasue that's the way of that game
    HG... my venonat is always in speed, and my pinsir* is pretty much the staple of my strength contests. The others are more varied.

Musicals are something only when I have nothing else to do, contests are sort of 'meh, okay' and often spent moodily looking at other participants in irritation for one reason or another, super contests are something I've actually put some effort into because I have some non-team raised pokemon in Platinum, and I find it highly amusing when I manage to hit two 'steps' almost simultaniously during my turn at the dance section, thus effectively messing up all the other participants.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Which is your favorite and why?: The Pokeathlon because I liked the mini games, especially Ring Drop.
    What features do you like about it?: the fact you can exchange the points you get for prizes.
    What Pokemon do you often use?: I use whatever Pokemon I feel like using.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
  • Contests are my favourite you have to do something to suceed in them. Its the same with pokeathlons to a lesser extent but with musicals you just dress it up and watch. BOOOORING. Contests are good because of the ribbons and I normally choose one pokemon on my team to compete in contests.

Intelligence

The return
    Years
  • I'd have to say Contests. Come on who doesn't love having their Pokemon dressing up and performing moves and also where you have to create PokeBlocks to excel in the Contest. The Pokemon that I use regularly is Milotic (beauty), Oddish (smart), Pikachu (cool), Machamp (tough) and Phanpy (cute).

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    The Pokéathlon is for me - not only is it the most user-friendly, it's also more fun.

Contests just aren't my thing, as the only thing that I can do there is raise my guy's condition & choose which moves that it'll have. After I choose what to use, it's all up in the air what will happen. The randomness for those are not to my liking.

As for the musicals... I haven't even gone there, & it's very unlikely that I will anytime soon.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    Which is your favorite and why? Contests, I've been into this ever since it was introduced in R/S/E.
    What features do you like about it? It's fun, and I'm a huge fan of cute Pokemon's.
    What Pokemon do you often use? I use a lot and different types of Pokemon, so I can't particularly choose one. ^^

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Which is your favorite and why? Contests. I like the mechanics of the RSE version better but the presentation of DPPt version better.
    What features do you like about it? Your character gets to dress up all-fancy in DPPt.
    My all-star team of Contest Pokemon in Platinum:

Hypno
    Persian
    Voltorb
    Camerupt
    Vespiquen

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Super Contests. I just love the idea of them, even if they aren't how they seem in the anime. I just like the idea of making my Pokemon shine and win ribbons. :> Pokeathlon was alright, but not my taste I could never do it. lmao. >; I haven't even attempted to do a Pokemon Musical because I just don't like the look of them. ;__;

Back