• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Convert mkv files to 3gp with subtitles intact

Dante

→ 悪魔の子 Akuma no Ko
Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2014
    Okay, so I read the rules. The thing with googling is that there are a million converters available and half of them I cant trust. So I thought Id ask ya all. I trust the people here :p

Any software that definitely converts mkv vids to 3gp and converts soft subs (generally this is the case with mkvs. At least in anime Ive downloaded) to hard subs with it? Any of you aware of it?

Dante

→ 悪魔の子 Akuma no Ko
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2014
    They are but subs are of two kinds - soft and hard subs. Soft subs are present as info within the file but are not burned into the vids themselves. Not a part of frames making up a video. Hence why they can be disabled. Hard subs = theyre a part of the frames that make up the vid.

Works similar to how we lose ability to edit individual layers if images are saved in formats like png and jpeg from photoshop. While psd format keeps all information intact. Here mkvs = psds. Generally, formats like mp4 and 3gp dont come with soft subs. I havent downloaded any yet. :p I just want to have a 3gp vid with hard subs converted from an mkv with soft ones so I can play it on my centuries old phone.

I hope that made it clear. Sorry, bad at explanations. Esp on phone with horrible keypad. Makes it harder.

Back