• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cooking By The Book

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Lazy Town reference aside, I was curious what kind of food recipes y'all enjoy when it comes to cooking or baking. I've personally wanted to get into the culinary arts, as well as to expand more horizons on some delicious things to make. So my question for y'all is what are your favorite things to cook? Do you like cooking?

Any recipes you have either personal or online are much appreciated, so if you have any please link them in your posts!

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Ramen. All day, erryday. #collegelife

Slightly serious about that too, sadly. If I want food, I buy it. Which is a waste of money in the long run, but some of the food around here is orgasmic ughhhhh. And now my mouth is watering.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    The only dish I've made that really counts, is Green Bean Casserole. Recipe is on the side of like every French's French Fried Onions can haha. It's super simple, hardest skill required is opening the cans of green beans. But it's absolutely delicious, so anyone with an aversion to green beans (or mushroom soup) don't let that stop you from trying it.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Ramen. All day, erryday. #collegelife

Slightly serious about that too, sadly. If I want food, I buy it. Which is a waste of money in the long run, but some of the food around here is orgasmic ughhhhh. And now my mouth is watering.
    Welcome to the first 10 years of my life lol.
    The only dish I've made that really counts, is Green Bean Casserole. Recipe is on the side of like every French's French Fried Onions can haha. It's super simple, hardest skill required is opening the cans of green beans. But it's absolutely delicious, so anyone with an aversion to green beans (or mushroom soup) don't let that stop you from trying it.
    Sounds interesting! How do you prepare it?

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Boiling rice with a few garlic cloves is amazing.
    Also cooking chicken with mustard. Cooking steak or burgers with Australian BBQ sauce. Cooking grilled chicken with jalapenos and onions. Now I'm hungry. I love to cook but hate getting the smell of food on my clothes and I also hate cleaning skillets and pans and stuff. xD

Years
    If I had to pick ONE thing, it would be my love for hummus!

Base. Chickpeas, Olive Oil, Salt, water, Tahini (optional)

Then add whatever you want, including things like:

Olives, Pesto, Peppers, Artichoke/heart of palm, Sour Cream, lemon, cilantro, Dried Tomatoes, Avocado, Spinach, pine nuts, pumpkin, eggplant, garlic, ect.

I love to then use this hummus to replace mayo...think potato salad, egg salad or tuna salad with this humus mixture. Also it works as a tomato sauce substitute, especially if you add garlic and pesto.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I love cooking in theory, but not so much in practice. Every now and then I'll get the urge to "get into cooking" which usually ends with me finding one recipe online and making it with semi-success, and then it's back to KFC and sausages lol

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
    By the book?

There's a local shop that does a create your own salad-ish sort of dish.

Have you ever had brown rice with sweetcorn, lettuce, artichokes, tomatoes, cheddar, beef and pesto/olive oil poured over it? I sort of liked the taste but couldn't help feeling a bit sick eating it. If that's what I try for myself out of experimentation, I fear for anyone dining at my table any time soon.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I like cooking. I prefer baking, but I like cooking. c:

Chicken is one of my favorite meats; it's cheap and there's a lot you can do with it, lol.
    I usually don't do much with it, just cook it in Italian dressing and put it over white rice with a veggie, green beans or broccoli preferred.
    Alfredo is fun, too. Fettuccine noodles with chicken and broccoli. Though I have to make the Alfredo sauce from scratch (sans the garlic powder, garlic and I are not friends) because milk allergies.

And I stole one of my mom's pasta salads. Little bow-tie noodles with pepperoni, olives, cherry tomatoes (halved), and sugar snap peas (pod and all, chopped up), covered with Italian dressing.

As long as we're sharing recipes, there's one for chicken cordon bleu that I've been dying to try.. but I either need to substitute all of the dairy products, which would be preferable, lol. Or I need to buy a lot of tummy pills first and then, ya know, buy a ton of dairy products I'll never use again. :P

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    Im a fantastic cook. I don't stay in one category though. I do many different types of food for the fun of it. There are endless recipes to make. If I had t pick what I like cooking the most, it'll have to be different types of bread and other pastries. Like cookies and such. I love making cookies on a cold night. ^_^ I love all the salad recipe I use or make myself during hot summer days. I especially love cooking during events and holidays. Sometimes the school district asks me to cook for School Festivals and Sports Days. I can never get tire of cooking

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    I love cooking and I've recently been getting into it. I have been trying recipes from Japanese to Scandinavian to better my skills. I am Italian-Canadian so those are the dishes that I am most familiar with. I am probably least familiar with Caribbean and Indian/Authentic eastern dishes (Iranian, etc) just because I have not eaten much of it because I cannot handle much spice so I don't know what's actually "authentic" and not fusion. And I'm not well versed on the types of spices used.

I am better at cooking because I like to taste and adjust according to my palette but baking is much more precise and has a real science to it. I love griddling and making dishes on the stovetop more than in the oven; I just find them easier and funner to do.

I used to be a HORRIBLE baker, but since about July or so, I have been practicing making cakes, cookies, doughnuts, and traybakes from scratch and I think I've improved a LOT. The science of baking really intrigued me.

The most recent thing I baked was a rainbow cake for my boyfriend, Alinthea. Each tier was a different flavour:
    Spoiler:

Not at all perfect but I am still proud of the result :3

And I also made mini beef wellingtons for his party too :3
    Spoiler:

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    The only thing I've ever made that really counts as baking are Italian spice ginger cookies. I must have inherited my mom's talent for baking cookies, because these things are absolutely amazing. I'm going to have to make them again. They're crispy on the outside, and chewy on the inside. Here's a recipe:

https://www.italianfoodforever.com/2012/12/spicy-ginger-cookies/

And now I really want to make them.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Lazy Town reference aside, I was curious what kind of food recipes y'all enjoy when it comes to cooking or baking. I've personally wanted to get into the culinary arts, as well as to expand more horizons on some delicious things to make. So my question for y'all is what are your favorite things to cook? Do you like cooking?

Any recipes you have either personal or online are much appreciated, so if you have any please link them in your posts!

These are my two absolute favorite recipes:
    https://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-stir-fry-3/detail.aspx
    https://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/02/chicken-noodle-soup/

The first is a stir fry.
    The second is for chicken noodle soup.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    Ramen, and not the packaged stuff but like actually going out and buying all the ingredients, making the broth, making the noodles, blah blah blah. Barbecue is one of my favorite things but it's just too much effort. I really like to cook anything and everything. For my 1 year anniversary with my ex last year I made bacon and cornbread stuffed pork chops, and I made potato skins like you get at TGI Friday's and used the leftover potato filling for potato balls.

Years
    I've been living alone for a few months now. When I started, my cooing skills and were limited so I would eat at a local mess. Having grown-up on my mum's cooking, there was no way I could have survived on bland mess food alone.
    So I got garam masala and chilli powder from home. I cook for myself so I can be very flexible with my cooking. I try to innovate with the ingredients and the cooking methods. Sometimes the results aren't very good, but most of the times I like what I make.

One thing I learnt was that cooking itself is easy and fun, but it's what comes before an after it that is tough - things like cutting the onions and tomatoes, peeling and crushing the garlic, washing and cutting all the vegetables, washing the dishes, utensils, gas stove and the counter.
    There's quite a few limitions with my kitchen. I only have one small knife, no mixer (so I have to use a mortar and pestle), no pressure cooker and no refrigerator.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Not too fond of properly cooking bc I'm really lazy and don't want to create dishes or take the time when I'm just hungry. Instant gratification ftw. But I usually do up nice stuff that doesn't take too much effort. Salad with everything in it (precooked meats god bless) and a vinegar+salt&pepper dressing. Steaming stuff in the microwave is actually a thing you can do- steamed broccoli/green beans w/ garlic salt is where I usually go with that. Tuna salad- olive oil, canned tuna, salt, pepper, lemon juice, celery. Avocado with salt&pepper or balsamic vinegar is nice for breakfast.

When I do actually cook, it's more on the fly. I get a vague notion of how it's meant to be done and sort of follow that, adding whatever I want to taste... whatever's-in-the-fridge stir fry is a staple. Boil potatoes most of the way, drain enough of the water, add vegetables (i don't like mushy veggies) and (precooked) meat and seasoning and you got soup. Steam cauliflower with red pepper flakes until somewhat soft, then bake until slightly browned, serve with warm cheese sauce. Put sauce, cheese, and toppings on tortilla in a frying pan, cook on low until cheese is melted, fold in half and cook until crispy for a pizza taco. Mix equal amounts of pound cake mix+flavored cake mix, add water or milk and stir to a pancake-batter consistency, put in microwave for 1-2 minutes for a cupcake.

Mainly tho I'm just really lazy and eat like a bird because cooking is effort.

Back