• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

cool old people names

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    So you know how names come in and out of fashion and there are, like, "old people" names? Like Frank, Gertrude, etc. It's weird to think about but some day our names (those of us currently in our teens and 20s) will be the old people names, and names of babies now that seem silly will be normal (I see babies named Calen, Brayden, etc.)

So I was thinking, if you could make any old school name come back, what would it be?

Personally I love the name Beatrice and would love to see it come back into fashion. 8)

and/or what are some awesome old people names that you guys like? haha
    Beatrice was my grandmother's name ^__^

Hmm... how about Jasper?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    You could simply list every Allied reporting name for Japanese aircraft during WWII.
    I like me Adelheid (the modern diminutive Alice is now quite 'old' too), Berenice, Nell, Mavis...

I dig Jasper. That actually brings up a really interesting point about media--Jasper has become a more common name after the Twilight books were released. Edward too. We're so easily influenced by popular media. o.-
    Yeah. It was pretty depressing for me to realise most parents have that as their real reason for names, then probably tell their children something else when asked about it.

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
    The only trouble with Beatrice is that as a young child, it might not be the most appealing name. It's great for an old person, though!

I think, honestly, that Blaze would be a cool old guy name. But again, the childhood thing...

Sirfetch’d

Wilfred is one that I've always liked that a lot of old people seem to have haha. Vivian is another that comes to mind! I do say though Beatrice takes the cake in this contest

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    My co-worker's name is Beatrice!~

I'd like to see Bertha come back, it's such an appealing name.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    My co-worker's name is Beatrice!~

I'd like to see Bertha come back, it's such an appealing name.
    I will never take the name Bertha seriously.
    Spoiler:

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I agree with the name Vivian, I think that's a really pretty name :) I'm also a big fan of the name Marilyn.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    I've always liked the name Henry. Although no one seems to be named Henry anymore. That, and Bruce.

waaaaaaaaaaa. I know loads of people called Henry, haha.

Graham is my contribution. Like, seriously, imagine having a baby called Graham. I am convinced that everyone ever called Graham changed their name at the age of 40 or so.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I had to look at the list of names from 1920 to come up with some I don't see but like.

Dorothy
    Ruth
    Ruby
    Roy
    Eva

pkmin3033

I've always rather liked the name Horatio. There is something about it that is distinctly...refined. xD

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
    I believe all the names go in cycles. Technically, all of our names have been in use for as long as our or history books can remember. However, I do agree that some names do not particularly fit the people they're attached to too well.

And there should be also need to mention that names from popular books like the Twilight series and the battle Roya- - I mean Hunger Games series would see a rise in children named after major characters portrayed in the story.

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
    Years
    So you know how names come in and out of fashion and there are, like, "old people" names? Like Frank, Gertrude, etc. It's weird to think about but some day our names (those of us currently in our teens and 20s) will be the old people names, and names of babies now that seem silly will be normal (I see babies named Calen, Brayden, etc.)

I have a friend named Frank (not short for anything) who is the same age as me. Well, he is named after his grandfather.

My best friend Ashley's great-grandmother was named Argentina. It's an authentic Italian name, believe it or not, and it predates the name of the country. Ashley told me that it's not used very often these days (most younger people would probably think of the country). She died last year at 106.

I actually wish the older names would come back. A lot of modern names sound so silly.

Back