• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cool Pokémon concepts that don't have the best designs

Years
Are there any Pokémon concepts you think seem cool, but don't really look as good as you would hope?

For me it's Hydreigon. A dragon with three heads sounds really cool, but visually...not so much. One of my least favorite pseudo legends.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I don't think Hydreigon is disappointing. I felt it was probably based on ghidorah and not a typical hydra.

Anyways, probably Baxcalibur. Seems like it could be an AI generated pseudo legendary using the data from all the other gens. Also just wanted something a bit cooler looking from an Ice/Dragon. I don't dislike it...but meh.

I can't tell if they were going for another Tyranitar type creature, but it doesn't land for me.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen today
Maybe the Generation 8 fossils? Expected a more seamless combination, like a Pokemon fusion or Iron Valiant. Literally chopped off half of each and stuck them together, however.

Raging Bolt. Likes the idea of leaning into thunderclouds. Became a giraffe, however. Added some odd frills too.

Sandy Shocks. Is onboard for a "what if no option for Magnezone". Turned it into a walking, furry-looking thing. (Sees the iron at the end of magnets more as hair/fur. Does not look metallic. Resembles Brock's hair, just blacker. Not quite Psyduck, though.)

Flutter Mane. For the same reason as Sandy Shocks. Gave it longer hair and...spikes? Not hat-like spikes, either. Looks more goofy than tough or scary.

Years
A spy lizard is actually a pretty neat idea, but I find Inteleon's design to just be creepy as all heck. I doubt I'll ever try one out and will keep passing on it.

For a walking sentient coin Pokemon they sure could've done better than giving us string cheese man.

A Hydra Pokemon. Hydreigon has never appealed to me, but I no longer hate it as strong as I used to. Still dislike it though. There's also Hydrapple, which I actually kinda like, but I feel is technically not a Hydra... I mean, it's just multiple of those worm things in 1 apple, not 1 Pokemon with multiple heads.

Klefki, actually a really good Pokemon utility wise. I've done some pretty cool stuff with it. Design though... could've made it stand apart more from being pretty much just a keychain.

A spinning top Pokemon could be cool, but I've never really liked Hitmontop.

Sentient snowflake. Sounds like something that could be pretty nice to me. Cryogonal though.... eh... pass.

A flaming Warrior Monkey. Actually sounds like something that could be cool. Yet Infernape is one of the worst looking Fire starters there is, if not the worst one.

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
Years
An Arctic fox, but it reuses Vulpix's Kanto design with a dominant white 'blank canvas' colour scheme and a subtle tweak in its presentation. I do not like them, Sam I am. I do not like Alolan Vulpix.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Agreed on Inteleon - I can't say I like its take on the idea too much.

Ambipom is also bad with its udder-like hand-tail things. Aipom worked in that the tail is a hand which allows it to grip onto branches and whatnot, so why does its evolution seemingly work against that? Those... things won't grab anything!

Years
So, Applin.

It's not the first time we've had a food-related Pokemon. In true Pokemon form, it's got a strong pun-base; the "wyrm" in the apple.

Branching evolution? Hey, cool…
… err… Sort of.
They're tremendously hampered by a 4x ice weakness. Flapple is goofy, but there's nothing wrong with that. Appletun's eyes, though. No. Not good.

And then, we have Dipplin and Hydrapple.

Truly, I think it would've been better to give Kieran his own brand-new Pokemon (not related to a previous evolutionary line). Thematically, it works - he has a Pokémon native to his homeplace, and finds a way to push it beyond its limits (Dragon Cheer) in his quest to beat the player.
But.. why'd it have to be more apple-dragons?

We now have an Apple-dragon Pokemon with THREE branching evolutions, one of whom is now the absolute obvious choice. It's just… bothersome.

I'm aware I'm in the minority here, it's just a creative decision that bugs me.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
Years
Coalossal is extremely disappointing to me. Rolycoly is a cute lil guy with its one eye and its wheel and then you turn it into the most boring, rock monster with coal because lol it's a coal monster ever. idc if its eyes light up in battle, it's BLAND!!!!!

While I like it, I feel Inteleon had some missed opportunity; I like that it's a hybrid of lizards (draco, chameleon, basilisk) but they could have had its tears as a laser like the Horned Lizard and it would have flowed well from Sobble's theme too, CMON MAN!!!! It could have been better on 4 legs too, you know like a true stealthy spy crawling on walls!

The concept of a cake Pokemon is great but I felt they really dropped the ball with Alcremie. It has its fans sure, but it just feels like a cute knockoff creature with not many quirks besides its forms and even them I'm like eh! It's G-Max form goes somewhere but without it it feels incomplete.

Grapploct would have been so neat like it's not just an octopus, it's a jujitsu octopus! Sadly its design feels too safe and its mouth placement is boring, Malamar (ik it's a squid) is so much better designed with a creative twist.

Think a Stonehedge Pokemon was neat but Stonjourner misses the mark on what made inanimate object mons unique; it literally feels like an arrangement with a face on it, others never really had that issue.

Anyways, there's prolly more but Faf hating Gen 8 over.

For non Gen 8, Lucario had a concept that appeals to me because I love dogs and cool things and Anubis is amazing, but the execution was way off. It feels so scrambled with the spikes, floaties, those teardrops, whatever its tail is, and that snout. Which is a shame because Garchomp feels like a "too cool" Pokemon but its design imo is much more seamless and easy to look at and I actually love Garchomp.

Also agreed on Baxcalibur. I like it but it feels so incomplete like there's something missing to make it much more fierce.

Back