• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: CoroCoro reveals Alolan Grimer, new evolutions and more!

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    Jangmo-o is such a great design, second stage evo is wonky , and third stage evo has exciting characteristics such as its tail and pharaoh like headwear , but is still out there. not sure unless this pokemon has excellent defense if i will want him in my party.

Silvadi is still a pokemon with features of multiple monsters, but gets a powerful helmet that has feather spikes that change color depending on typing. Not sure how the AR will work with it though.

the Jangmo-o line typing (Dragon/Fighting) makes me think of it being chased down by a group of creepy mime jr.'s (Psychic/Fairy)

Years
  • So I guess it's been confirmed! I was a bit skeptical about that A!Grimer, but I guess he's there now. Kinda bummed that he just had Dark type added and didn't get new typing. That stuff on his mouth kinda looks like honey - I hope whatever A!Muk looks like is interesting!

Jangmo-o has the coolest evolution. I definitely want a Jararanga on my team. I can't wait to see what the shiny version looks like! Again, disappointed in the typing though. Was hoping for something *not* 4x weak to fairy, but I'll live.

Silvadi is interesting. I'm wondering if it'll have a unique evolution scene to show the mask coming off - that'd be cool.

And Ilima...that hair! I'm in love <3

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2016
    I'm kinda curious: what have people expected Jangmo-o to evolve into? It's kinda a given that it would evolve into something "badass"-like, as it were.

I wasn't really expecting anything in particular, but I just feel that by its final evolution, Jangmo-o loses its identity. It has a simple, cute design. And I know its final evo isn't supposed to be cute, but I feel like its first evolution grows up a bit and gets more "badass", while retaining its relative simplicity and I suppose natural look? As someone mentioned, it looks like fan art to me and just lacks a sense of refinement.

To give a comparison, I'll use an example of a line I personally like: Litleo and Pyroar. Litleo is a simple, cutesy pokemon. Obviously as it evolves to Pyroar it becomes much more intimidating and fierce. But it doesn't lose its charm, in my opinion and retains its identity and looks like an official pokemon because it's not overly busy in its design.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • My main reasoning for thinking that it would be fighting was because of the clubbed tail. I actually really like the design. As I am a big fan of fighting types, but I do agree there seems to be too much on his final stage.

However, people need to remember that the official art hasn't been the greatest. It does not give any justice to the pokemon this time around. Everything has looked much better in game.

I am glad they are keeping their tradition with a lot of fighting pokemon being in every odd generation.

Years
  • I really, really love Jangmo-o's evolutions which I'm glad about since Jangmo-o is one of my favs revealed so far of this gen so glad it's evolutions are ones I'd use, bit disappointed that it's dragon/fighting instead of dragon/steel like I was hoping but not that much.

Not really a fan of type:null/it's evolution still though. the evolution is a bit nicer but still too miss-matched and weird looking to appeal to me.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
  • i honestly think that there should be an alolan gyrados, WITH a more REASONABLE typing, such as water and somthing else. i also think that poor old dragonite gets an alolan form. didnt give him a mega, did they? but most of all, i really hope gamefreak takes this as an opportunity to not add any new pokemon, and just make a kanto remake

Zervais

Island Kahuna
    Years
  • Why is it most of the Alolan forms are dark type? Meowth, Rattata/Raticate, Grimer, Marowak (ghost, I know, but still kept with the 'dark' theme)...

Something spoopy is going on in the seemingly sunny archipelago of Alola.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Why is it most of the Alolan forms are dark type? Meowth, Rattata/Raticate, Grimer, Marowak (ghost, I know, but still kept with the 'dark' theme)...

Some people have suggested that they are trying to balance than Kanto Pokemon a bit more since no Dark types were added to Kanto when Dark Type originally came out.

Attribule

Veteran Wall-Worker/WW3 Survivor - AMA
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Jararanga is definitely on my team. Period. Absolutely amazing design -- like something out of Monster Hunter. Based on its appearance and name, I'd assume it uses the scales to intimidate opponents, which also fits its Fighting typing.

Alolan Grimer? If the yellowish parts don't glow in the dark, I'll be horribly disappointed to say the least. Trash-tier if no glow; God-tier if glow.

Type: Null evolution is a surprise since I thought Type: Null would be a standalone. Design is awesome, and puts it closer to Arceus.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years

Because adding a Dark type is easy, all you have to do is make a dark recoloring of the Pokemon and say it adapted to the shadows and you're golden.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Alolan Grimer: Meh and lazy like Meowth.

Jango-o(?) line: Not how I expected it to go, I was thinking either Dragon/Fighting or Dragon/Steel, but on all 4 legs, maybe wings (out of steel). (Steel type has defiantly been thrown to the side)

Type Null: I do like the new look way better, still not a huge fan of the idea.

Years
  • Love Jangmo-o's evolutions. Not sure if I'll end up having space for him anymore but they're looking even more awesome than I expected. GAH. Making choosing a team too hard.... .. /die

Huge fan of Shiruvadi also, as I knew I'd be. It needs to come home into my arms.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • Jarango being Dragon / Fighting is great offensively with such good type coverage but will get rekt by Fairy types unless it gets poison jab hehe.

Shiruvadi sounds pretty similar to Arceus in terms of ability and its unique move, though maybe its stats will be different.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    I actually like that Grimer didn't get a radical new typing and stayed somewhat similar to it's original form. But seriously, what is up with that yellow mouth? I'd probably be willing to catch one if it weren't for that.

Attribule

Veteran Wall-Worker/WW3 Survivor - AMA
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    I actually like that Grimer didn't get a radical new typing and stayed somewhat similar to it's original form. But seriously, what is up with that yellow mouth? I'd probably be willing to catch one if it weren't for that.

No way to "radically" change Grimer/Muk's typing without completely destroying the very concept they're based on: living pollution. The only logical possibilities would be Poison/Dark or Poison/Water.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I know this is probably going to sound really strange to most of the people in this thread... but I actually think Type: Null looks way better than Shiruvadi. With the helmet on Type: Null combined with the rest of it's chimera appearance, it truly looked like a Frankenstinian creation, which I thought was pretty unique and a really cool addition to pokemon, but with it's new form it lost a lot of that creepy man made appearance that it had.
    Don't get me wrong, it does look really cool, but now it just looks like a stereotypical hard core legendary and not so much like the interesting and mysterious monstrosity that it was previously.

As for Jangmo-O, I right away didn't like it all that much because it was a Dragon, despite the fact that I do think that a Dragon/Fight type was long over due in the franchise. However, just going by its design, I don't like it because its design is way too cluttered with detail, which is something I really don't enjoy in a pokemon design. I wasn't planning on using it to begin with because I dislike dragons, but now I also wont use it because it's a cluttered design.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Shiruvadi is not that different than Type: Null considering it's just Type: Null without his helmet and instead of being grey it's white.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Well if the point of view here is that, "It's not really all that different." then I'll ask, how many people were a fan of Type: Null before the Helmet came off and people mostly thought it was a stand-alone pokemon?

I'm not trying to say here that people shouldn't like Shiruvadi, all I'm saying is, the design of Type: Null gave off a much different vibe then what Shiruvadi's design gives off.
    Once again, these two pokemon are still really cool, I'm not hating on Shiruvadi, I just... like Type: Null better. It was really mysterious almost like how Cubone is mysterious, and to this day, we still have no idea what Cubone's actual head looks like, I sort of thought maybe Type: Null was going to go the Cubone direction.

Back