• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cosmog and Lunala

Karous

Captain Obvious
Years
  • Warning: post contains small datamine spoilers.

From the reveal today, I think Cosmog is almost certainly related to Lunala.

I'm going to break down the official bios for them, starting with Cosmog: (got them off Serebii if you want to double check)

This extremely rare Pokémon is known to only a select few in Alola. At one time, it was known only by the kings of Alola and their heirs, and it was called "the child of the stars."

This rules out Cosmog and Lunala having a relationship like Carbink and Diancie or Manaphy and Phione, in which the Mythical/Legendary Pokemon is considered to be rare but is related to a more common Pokemon that doesn't exhibit the special properties. Cosmog is considered to be a rare and powerful Pokemon only known to royalty.

The Aether Foundation is researching this unusual Pokémon, and one of the professors at the foundation recently dubbed it Cosmog. Cosmog is very curious and shows no fear of people or Pokémon. If you treat it with any consideration at all, it will take an immediate liking to you. This personality trait often leads it into danger.

Story implications - will you meet Cosmog throughout the story? It's clear that it is meant to have an impact on the story, and thus Cosmog's and Lunala's relationship will more than likely be addressed.

Its gaseous body is so lightweight that it's sent flying when the wind blows. When light falls on this Pokémon, Cosmog absorbs it and grows.

This part is *extremely* important. Because this is exactly what Lunala does:

Cosmog and Lunala

Here's Lunala's bio:

Since ancient times, Lunala has been honored as an emissary of the moon. It is referred to with reverence as "the beast that calls the moon."

"The beast that calls the moon" and the "child of the stars"....definitely a similar motif going, and both hold a revered place in Alolan culture.

Lunala is constantly absorbing light and converting it into energy. With its wings spread to absorb the surrounding light and glittering like a crescent moon, it resembles a beautiful night sky.

Both Cosmog and Lunala absorb light to become more powerful. I posted the picture of Lunala's Full Moon form next to the description of Cosmog absorbing light to gain power.

Cosmog and Lunala
    Cosmog and Lunala

Given their physical resemblance, the evidence is strong for a possible evolutionary relationship, as the first legendary Pokemon with a proper evolution family. They cannot be different forms because they are separate species of Pokemon, and I've outlined the reasons why they aren't like Manaphy/Phione or Diancie/Carbink. A stronger piece of evidence is that the dataminers called Cosmog and Solgaleo's equivalent an actual pre-evolution.

The only evidence against is that Cosmog and Lunala are not placed together in the regional and national Pokedex, which is extremely unusual for an evolutionary family. Even cross-generational evolutions who are not placed together in the national dex are placed together in regional dexes (for instance, the Porygons are placed together in the Alolan dex). However, the other evidence is pretty strong so this doesn't completely throw out this theory. After all, this is a generation where there's no gyms, bikes or HMs - I doubt a little Pokedex numbering issue throws out this theory.

Assuming that they are an evolutionary family, you can stretch this theory further. One is that given what was said about Cosmog, it definitely strengthens the "Aether Foundation are the real villains" theory because they want those Pokemon's power. Secondly, and this is my pet theory, I am of the opinion that Lunala and Solgaleo may be able to be bred because these pre-evos exist.

Do you guys think that Cosmog is a pre-evolution of Lunala or that they have some other relationship? What does this mean for gameplay?

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    This extremely rare Pokémon is known to only a select few in Alola. At one time, it was known only by the kings of Alola and their heirs, and it was called "the child of the stars."
    If its considered rare, does it mean there are more than one of these (But not many) ? How could it be possible when it's known there is only one of each of the legendary Pokemon.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • This extremely rare Pokémon is known to only a select few in Alola. At one time, it was known only by the kings of Alola and their heirs, and it was called "the child of the stars."
    If its considered rare, does it mean there are more than one of these (But not many) ? How could it be possible when it's known there is only one of each of the legendary Pokemon.

There aren't, though. There are multiple Celebi, multiple beasts and birds, etc. Legendary just means it appears in legends, doesn't mean there's necessarily only one of each.

Karous

Captain Obvious
    Years
  • Legendary Pokemon being exclusive isn't really canonical, just because the player can only get one doesn't mean that there's only one of the species that exists. For example, there are multiple Dialga/Palkia/Giratina since you can hatch one in HGSS not to mention having to explain multiple of the same Pokemon existing across games. I don't think there's enough evidence to suggest that there's only one Solgaleo and Lunala from a lore standpoint.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    Actually Lunala is a stage 2 Pokemon it seems. From the data mine Cosmog is the first then you get another evo that then split between Solgaleo and Lunala.
    It makes sense why Cosmog could be a pre-evolved form. The name comes from cosmic fog, aka the molecular clouds that create stars and the planetary bodies in the solar system. It would make sense for Lunaala and Solgaleo to evolve from it, as if they weren't, their heads would have such an overt resemblance to Cosmog and its later form.

https://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/ast122/lectures/lec13.html

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • It'll be interesting to see how all of this plays out. The select few gaming journalists that were able to play the first two hours of the games were basically told to keep their mouths shut about the plot. Not only that, but Game Freak and TPCi have already revealed a crapload to us in terms of Pokémon and features. With all of that said, I think it's safe to say that the plot is going to be pretty heavy. I'm confident that it's going to be on par with Gen 5, if not even more plot-heavy.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I'd think that it can turn into both Solgaleo and Lunala, rather than just one of them. The dex entry says that it grows/changes when light falls on it. Sunlight for Solgaleo, moonlight for Lunala. It'd be strange for them to only reveal one of the two pre-evo forms. The 2nd one is more likely a 2nd stage. Going with the whole celestial body formation theory, Cosmog is an unconcentrated mass of space particles, like a nebula or something, with the 2nd thing being like a protoplanet or protostar. It looks much for solid than the gaseous Cosmog. Almost pupa like even.

....I actually kinda wish they didn't reveal this though. I was quite fine with the amount of story stuff they had revealed prior to this. Didn't need any more, just enough to get me interested, which they had already done. Cosmog's reveal tells a fair bit about Lillie (it seems that we get Cosmsog from her, and given how it used to be only known by the Alolan royal family, she is likely a descendant of that royal family), and possibly other things too.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • Well I don't know if they're related, but I'm sure Cosmog is important to the story. Just go watch the japanese trailer. I would even say Cosmog might be what Lillie is hiding in her bag!

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • Cosmog is most-likey the pre-evo of the two Legionaries not just Lunala... It is said in the flavor text that it changes depending on the energy it's exposed too.

Solar energy = Sogalio
    Lunar energy = Lunala

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • Cosmog is most-likey the pre-evo of the two Legionaries not just Lunala... It is said in the flavor text that it changes depending on the energy it's exposed too.

Solar energy = Sogalio
    Lunar energy = Lunala

The only thing that the site says about Cosmog is that it grows when it absorbs light and converts it to energy. It's not specific on what kind of light and energy, so we really can't say for sure on anything right now.

CidHazard

Years
  • The only thing that the site says about Cosmog is that it grows when it absorbs light and converts it to energy. It's not specific on what kind of light and energy, so we really can't say for sure on anything right now.

Agreed we don't have enough information yet...

But it is going to be awesome prospect of having a companion baby legendary pokemon (Very Anime-ish) then it evolving into Sogalio or Lunala to protect the protagonist (against ultra beasts or Silvadi maybe? :D)...

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • ^ Though I do really hope we can get multiple Cosmog - although we would need to evolve it into Lunala/Solgaleo for the plot most likely, I'd love to just have one as a Cosmog all the time because it's an adorable Pok?mon haha

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • I'd love to just have one as a Cosmog all the time because it's an adorable Pok?mon haha

You're so right! It's so cute *-* :
    Cosmog and Lunala

The fact that it appears in the overworld means it's important to story. I love how dynamic it looks :3 Can't wait to see how it participates in the plot (I still think Cosmog is what Lillie is hiding).

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • You're so right! It's so cute *-* :
    Cosmog and Lunala

The fact that it appears in the overworld means it's important to story. I love how dynamic it looks :3 Can't wait to see how it participates in the plot (I still think Cosmog is what Lillie is hiding).

spoilers

Spoiler:

CidHazard

Years
  • The fact that it appears in the overworld means it's important to story.

With the new Sun and Moon engine we see that the sprites used in battle are the same as the ones that appear on the overworld (see Jangma-o in the demo) unlike before where they had to make separate assets which would've consumed development time. So every pokemon could potentially be in the overworld in Sun and Moon. The fact that it seems to have a lot of non battle/ pokemon fresh animations tho... that's what makes it important XD

I do agree that Cosmog is pivotal to the games story... and it's so freaking adorable!!!

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • ^ Though I do really hope we can get multiple Cosmog - although we would need to evolve it into Lunala/Solgaleo for the plot most likely, I'd love to just have one as a Cosmog all the time because it's an adorable Pok?mon haha

Same. I would actually like a team made up entirely of Cosmog only for the sake of cuteness. :3

So I just thought of something after watching Episode 10 of Generations... what if Deoxys coming to Earth on a meteor in the Delta Episode has any connection with SM's plot? What if Cosmog, Solgaleo and Lunala come from the same world that Deoxys originated from? Cosmog is heavily implied to be an extraterrestrial Pok?mon, and it's very likely that it's a pre-evo of Solgaleo and Lunala. I've been saying this for a while now, but I think that the Delta Episode was setting us up for having other dimensions and worlds central to the plot of Gen 7. Ultra Beasts even seem to be aliens themselves... what of the UB's and the extraterrestrial Pok?mon are from the same world? That would include Pok?mon we already have, like Solrock and Lunatone, the Clefairy line, the Elgyem line, and so forth.

Back