• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Could more DLC be possible?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • I was wondering if people here thought a theoretical part 3 & part 4 DLC could still be possible next year.
    I do think that it's most certainly possible, and that a part 3 & 4 would add 200 more Pokemon.

But, if not, and we don't get DLC, and either we get Let's Go Johto/Sinnoh remakes will have some of the missing Pokemon that won't be in SW/SH. But, I do feel like it is possible we'll get maybe more new DLC next year if the DLC sells well. I don't think this'll be a one time thing.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I hope so and it's included in the current package. I feel $30 for only two parts is a bit on the pricey side, especially since SwSh are unfinished games. Does also help expand its lifespan though.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I certainly hope so! There's still quite a bit left to do in my mind in regards to the Galar region that two DLCs just doesn't seem like enough. Pokémon is a big world now and people want to experience more of it. Though I agree with Fafrir that pricing should be reconsidered for additional expansions.

Years
  • It could well be, though I'd go with a more reserved prediction of only one more part of the DLC. If Isle of Armour brings in about 200 Pokémon, we already had 400 plus a few dozen, and the Crown Tundra also brings in about 200, that's about 800 - and considering there's 896 currently revealed Pokémon in total, I don't think there'd be much more material to cover with 2 extra passes - or even one! At this rate we might have the whole national dex included by Crown Tundra if it also does cca 200, but if it's more modest with cca 150, then we could get one more of similar size.

EDIT: I had not been well informed, Isle of Armour has closer to 100 returning Pokémon. In that case they might even do 2 more DLC packs.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

It wouldn't surprise me if they're already working on DLC that is actual new content. I don't believe for a minute that the Isle of Armour at least wasn't cut from the base game so that it could be sold at a later date as DLC, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Crown Tundra part of it is practically finished at this point as well. But given the backlash to Dexit and their complete reversal of policy on that I think it likely they'll eventually include every Pokemon in SnS via patches, and it seems logical that they'll want to milk a little extra money out of players for the privelege of catching them in-game with additional DLC. If there is an appetite for it as well, they're likely to listen, especially given the sour relationship with a lot of fans over these games. They might not care much about negative feedback, but positive feedback is rarely unheard, and the illusion that DLC is somehow better than third versions (it's actually the same in terms of cost to the customer) is one they'll want to exploit as much as possible if they have any business sense whatsoever.

I doubt we'll see two additional parts, but possibly a third, final part to tie up some loose narrative ends (and I use that word in the loosest possible way to describe it) or to set up the next games. Possibly. It really does depend on Game Freak's - or rather, TPC's, since they probably dictate these things almost entirely - schedule, and what else they're working on. I highly doubt profitability is an issue, given how well these games have sold and continue to sell. The biggest factor in this is probably time and whether it'd interrupt or conflict with whatever else they're working on.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    the illusion that DLC is somehow better than third versions (it's actually the same in terms of cost to the customer)
    Is it?

A new game is 60 USD, and the expansion pass is 30 USD. So if they went the usual route of a 3rd version(s) instead of DLC, the 3rd version would've likely been just SwSh with what's now the DLC tacked on, but for $30 more.

Or is there something else to it that I'm not getting?

pkmin3033

A new game is 60 USD, and the expansion pass is 30 USD. So if they went the usual route of a 3rd version(s) instead of DLC, the 3rd version would've likely been just SwSh with what's now the DLC tacked on, but for $30 more.

Or is there something else to it that I'm not getting?
    You could buy two 3DS titles for the price of one copy of SnS and it's DLC with the same amount of content, so it's hardly a better option cost-wise. Although I suppose Nintendo would never let a first party Switch title sell for a 3DS price, so there is that. But there's also the DLC being split into separate versions per game, the astronomical cost of Pokemon Home if you want to utilise features that were baked into the 3DS titles as standard, the requirement of Nintendo Switch Online to play with others...so yeah, historically speaking at least, it's the same or worse, depending on how far you want to take it. If you consider that they'd charge all that anyway on top of a full-price third version of the game if they released a third version now, perhaps not. It's a scummy and terrible business model either way though.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I think it is very possible to have one or two more DLC Packs. I think it would probably be another $30 though. I personally believe they should make Sinnoh Remakes first and then after they come out, bring two more DLC packs out for Sword and Shield and maybe one for Sinnoh.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2024
    A third wave seems plausible, as not only does data exist for many Gen 8 movesets (TMs and TRs particularly) for several past Pokémon not in the game right now, but we're approaching the series's 25th anniversary.

I would imagine it being Gen 8.5, a sequel section once thought would have been a thing for Kalos to fully complete that region, which never came to be. I'd imagine that Ireland would be where the last Galarian chapter might take place in to program roughly all 895 or so Pokémon into the game at last. This is merely speculation that will probably never come true, but as always, a man can still dream.

Hocus_Pokemon

Psychic Master
    Years
  • I think it is very possible to have one or two more DLC Packs. I think it would probably be another $30 though. I personally believe they should make Sinnoh Remakes first and then after they come out, bring two more DLC packs out for Sword and Shield and maybe one for Sinnoh.

Sinnoh remakes are coming next, so Game Freak would probably prioritize that

Years
  • It seems like we're not gonna get a mainline Pokemon game this year so as much as I'd love more DLC, I wonder how far another 1/2 DLC would push back development of the next installment in the series? That being said, I would love more time to explore Galar and its neighbouring areas, and if potential future DLC was like a 'mini' Pokemon game then I'd definitely back it. It just draws a fine line for me for waiting for another game, but I suppose more DLC and a Lets Go title could be possible? Tbh, I'd be happy with just DLC if it was good enough and added loads of new Pokemon.

Years
  • maybe, but I also don't really think so, personally. normally main series games release around october/november, and the crown tundra dlc is meant to be the new main series Pokémon content we get around that timeframe in place of a game this year. I assume that update is meant to last us until the next game in late 2021, with updates for other pokémon things (like the mobile games) sprinkled in between. I could've seen let's go johto happening, but not so much anymore with the pandemic pushing a lot of things back. :< and the games are already on enough of a deadline/are rushed, so I'd rather they not push that out for an october/november release anyway, since it would've meant even more shortcuts.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2020
    There are rumors of 2 more dlc for a sky city and a sea ruin dlc i dont know how true it is but aDrive on you tube covers it

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2021
    If GameFeak's ambitious look sees that the former have sold, probably.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • Yeah i think it is, i'm still waiting for those new Eeveelutions (and hopefully an fossil dawn horse & cave bear pokemon)

Back