• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Could Pokemon Black.White Start a Racial Uproar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Distortion World

Steel/Flying
Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2010
    I'm serious.

I don't think that Black and hite would be a good name for the games and would definately not fly in North America.

I'm not trying to be racial here or give anyone else else the idea, but I just think this might start something if not in Japan, here in America.

I'd like to know what all you guys think.

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
    Years
  • If people be mature about this and think of it as colours, rather than skin colour, we'll be cool.
    Pokemon has been subject to much worse.
    They won't change the names.

Argent Crusader

Isn't Falstad dead?
    Years
  • Only ignorant people would take that as a racial offense. Do you think Lionhead's Studio Black&White game started a racial uproar? Geez, it is not serious business.

Distortion World

Steel/Flying
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2010
    Yes, but the thing is, Pokemon is way more popular and it has had issues in the past like this. I suspect there will be a name change for at least North America.

WiiMann

I gots Heart Gold!! ^_^
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 29, 2012
    Eh, idk people are desperate for money nowadays, i think its just a matter of time before some lameo makes a big deal about and sues for millions :/

Distortion World

Steel/Flying
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2010
    R3D, Can I ask you to remove that comment please. This thread is about the potential racial outlooks of the game names, not racist comments.

Years
  • The first thing I said when I saw the new names was "Hmm, so in America, we'll be seeing Pokemon Obsidian and Pokemon Ivory"...

People are SO bent out of shape about being PC these days, it's almost sickening. You can't breathe half the time without someone getting offended over some stupid little thing and threatening to sue.

MadaraUchiha.

Typhlosion Master
    Years
  • Wow seriously? Black and White are SHADES! And you mean the Black people are offended? Well cant White people be offended to? How come everyone thinks you can only be racist to Black people? Is Pokemon Diamond offensive to Diamonds? Pokemon Yellow makes fun of the Simpsons? Geez, its a name and a SHADE (Some say Color) Jinx was racist because it was PURE black and had big purple lips thus making it resemble of what some say a "Black Woman" I personally liked it better like that because it looked cooler and not as plain. There are Black and White people in Japan also... If it does offend anyone I will sue Nintendo for making Pokemon Blue for being racist to all things blue. By saying stuff like this is racist also.

Years
  • Or maybe Ebony and Ivory. I'm thinking about that song I heard a while back XD.

I thought Ebony and Ivory first, but there's an African American magazine called Ebony, and if Nintendo were going to change the name to not offend people, they'd probably go with something else.

(And for the record, I think changing the names of the games at all would be incredibly stupid. People need to learn that not every single thing that comes out that has a color associated with it is racist. People are just so sue-happy these days it's sad.)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • As much as I hate the names and I think they'll spark something, here is definitely not the place I want it to start. Please refrain from making any similar topics in the future. I know what you meant by it, no harm, but this thread is just asking for a flame war.

Locked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back