• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Counterfeit pokemon games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2012
    OK, I used to have a fake Pokemon Sapphire cartridge that broke and wouldn't save (I know it's fake, my friend Andy told me so and showed my a real cart, fake cart has a black plastic cart, real has a sparkly blue one) I got from Toy's 'R Us in Singapore. I gave the cartridge to Andy along with my GBA and a fake Advance Super Mario: Yoshi's Island (also bought in Singapore) in exchange for 20$, a see-through purple Game Boy Colour, and pokemon red and Crystal. Now I am worried that my Crystal cart is fake, and since I don't have a digital camera, I'll describe it as best I can for you.

Crystal:
    The cartride itself is see-through light blue and sparkly. At the top of the cartridge is a raised up area on the plastic, on this raised-up area are two little ridges of plastic (presumably for the function of pulling the cart out of the gameboy without harming gameboy or cart), and I can see the "Gameboy Color" logo on the raised up area. Below the raised-up area is a sticker with two grey strips on either sides, on the left strip are the words "CGB - BYTE - USA" and on the right are the words "ONLY FOR GAME BOY COLOR AND GAME BOY ADVANCE" exactly as I write them, without any fancy logos for the game boy color and advance and stuff. In between the grey strips of the sticker, the sticker is shiny silver, and has a picture of suicune on it. On the top area of the sticker, above suicune's head crest thingy is the Pokemon logo without a Gotta Catch 'Em All. Below the 'mon' in Pokemon is the G/S logo. In the bottom left corner of the sticker is the red and white Nintendo logo, and above the nintendo logo is the ESRB rating logo, an "E". On the right of the nintendo logo are the words "CRYSTAL VERSION", and next to that is a "Official Nintendo Seal of Quality Logo" Oh by the way, the game itself is fine, no glitches, I have fully beaten the game (beat Red), only glitch I ever encountered was when I once walked up and turned on a PC, instead of saying that I logged onto the PC it said "REPEL'S effect wore off" I hadn't used a repel, and it brought me to the PC menu.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 2, 2012
    I had this prob with sapphire off ebay it worked fine untill i played english version of LG then it wouldn'y load then i noticed something my LG cartridge didn't have a gap in where the chips are whereas sapphire did so now i don't trust ebay for GBA games

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 22, 2017
    My friend got a fake Emerald of EBay, and every time he beat the Pokemon League the game reset automatically. But I think that it's a real game cartridge.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2008
    Kent Colton Rogers said:
    And the description checks out. It's a real cartridge. Such cartridges would have to be hard to reproduce. I doubt it's counterfeit.

I don't know if it's real or not, but it is very easy to produce counterfeit games. I won't bother with the details, but it's just a matter of buying write-once cartridges (generally $5 to $15 each). There was a case in the news in the UK last year of a parent upset that Nintendo was putting the F word into the introductions of all their games. It turned out that the games he'd been buying were all counterfeit with hacked intros, but they were being sold in major retail chains.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2006
    hey im from the philippines and a lot of stores here sell counterfeit carts. i once bought this sapphire version cart when i found out the day it released in the US. i got all excited and went out to buy one at a near store. the sticker on the cart was semi-badly printed and the actual cart is grey, not the clear blue one. i just knew it was fake when i saw an original one from a friend. MY GAME KEPT ON DELETING BY ITSELF. then came the time when i kept on startin a new game. then it wouldnt save anymore! what a ripoff. i just lacked like 20 more pokemon then the file erased.

Alex The Great Master

Zeophyte in Eternal Exile
    Years
    In my country there are lotsa bootleg Genesis and NES carts. I went to Gibraltar once and there were tons of bootleg games, with Pokemon games included. I also happened to see the pirate "Jade version". My friend has a counterfeit "The Incredibles", but the games uses a password system anyway, so the games has no save state to delete. I read somewhere that GBA counterfeit cardtriges had clock batteries instead of save batteries. There are also GBA pirate cardtriges that could hold 64MB, double the amount of data than regular GBA cardtriges could hold.

Years
    Just to clarify, all Pok?mon RPG games (with exception to Pok?mon TCG) have different colored cartridge casings. The version's color matches that of the cover.

Corleone said:
    I don't know if it's real or not, but it is very easy to produce counterfeit games. I won't bother with the details, but it's just a matter of buying write-once cartridges (generally $5 to $15 each). There was a case in the news in the UK last year of a parent upset that Nintendo was putting the F word into the introductions of all their games. It turned out that the games he'd been buying were all counterfeit with hacked intros, but they were being sold in major retail chains.
    Yay, counterfiters... Anyways, while it is easy to replicate the data via usage of said recordable cartridge, it's very hard to replicate the actual casing itself. I doubt counterfiters can obtain diffrent cartridge colors easily, if at all. And if they do, it's hard to replicate exactly.

Should the cartridge look authentic from the sticker or cartridge casing, then hold the cartridge at an angle. As far as I know, all Nintendo produced Game Boy cartridges have some kind of number and/or letters imprinted somewhere on the title sticker. If you don't see one, either you were really rough on that cartridge or it's a counterfit.

TheShinyMew

Wild Challenger appeared!
    Years
    OK, I used to have a fake Pokemon Sapphire cartridge that broke and wouldn't save (I know it's fake, my friend Andy told me so and showed my a real cart, fake cart has a black plastic cart, real has a sparkly blue one) I got from Toy's 'R Us in Singapore. I gave the cartridge to Andy along with my GBA and a fake Advance Super Mario: Yoshi's Island (also bought in Singapore) in exchange for 20$, a see-through purple Game Boy Colour, and pokemon red and Crystal. Now I am worried that my Crystal cart is fake, and since I don't have a digital camera, I'll describe it as best I can for you.

Crystal:
    The cartride itself is see-through light blue and sparkly. At the top of the cartridge is a raised up area on the plastic, on this raised-up area are two little ridges of plastic (presumably for the function of pulling the cart out of the gameboy without harming gameboy or cart), and I can see the "Gameboy Color" logo on the raised up area. Below the raised-up area is a sticker with two grey strips on either sides, on the left strip are the words "CGB - BYTE - USA" and on the right are the words "ONLY FOR GAME BOY COLOR AND GAME BOY ADVANCE" exactly as I write them, without any fancy logos for the game boy color and advance and stuff. In between the grey strips of the sticker, the sticker is shiny silver, and has a picture of suicune on it. On the top area of the sticker, above suicune's head crest thingy is the Pokemon logo without a Gotta Catch 'Em All. Below the 'mon' in Pokemon is the G/S logo. In the bottom left corner of the sticker is the red and white Nintendo logo, and above the nintendo logo is the ESRB rating logo, an "E". On the right of the nintendo logo are the words "CRYSTAL VERSION", and next to that is a "Official Nintendo Seal of Quality Logo" Oh by the way, the game itself is fine, no glitches, I have fully beaten the game (beat Red), only glitch I ever encountered was when I once walked up and turned on a PC, instead of saying that I logged onto the PC it said "REPEL'S effect wore off" I hadn't used a repel, and it brought me to the PC menu.

I went to TRSRockin' another night and I saw a lot of fake Pokémon games. There also fakes at the Light of the Stars site. And BTW, you had a tricked link where you can eat my brain!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Counterfeit pokemon games!

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
    So is this a "show off your illegal goods" sorta thread?
    Fantastic. I'll quote myself from elsewhere.

Surely I've mentioned my prized possession:

Pokemon Diamond. Bad quality, yes.
    Got this when I was like 6, originally purchased a badly translated Gold, returned it, and chose between Pokemon Green and this. I still don't know whether I regret the choice or not. Either way, it would have been fake :/
    Anyway, yes, it's actually a good game. Downloaded the original Japan-only game (Keitai Denjuu Telefang, Power Version) and love it. The only problem with Diamond is that it is horribly translated to the point that the story makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, and has a broken save feature. Naturally it had a counterpart, Pokemon Jade.

It's such a shame you don't get pirate games like this anymore, they're so interesting. Went to Turkey last year and everything was practically legit >:|

There's a bit of extra info there that you may already know, but that's because this is a copypasta from a non-Pokemon forum.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
    It sounds pretty kosher to me. I think what you should look out for is the "GAMEBOYADVANCE POKEMON CRYSTAL". It's a fake and it's fooled more people than you know. They take Zel, alter it a good deal (to say Crystal and to take out the pirate message) slap it in a cartridge and sell it on E-Bay for 40 bucks.

Sorry that the first game didn't work out, but I hope you enjoy Crystal!

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Whoa... this thread is four years old ._.

Reviving threads after a month of inactivity is bad... reviving them after four years is even worse.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back