• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Countering the Common Techniques

husk1442

needs more [i]Mod[/i]
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 3, 2009
    if it gets a DD Jolt is done

Electrode and Gengar are better counters
    as electrode outspeeds it even after a Dance
    and Gengar is immune to EQ and can take a Danced HP Fly (from a Jolly Gyrados)

Lion Heart

Banned
    Years
    That's right.

I figure we have Boahtar covered, and Curselax isn't really that much of a threat - Roar him or Haze him.

So no need to really cover them anymore.

Next ones are the Calm Mind Dogs, which I'll do when I get home.

Gotta actually think of a way to nullify Raikou first.

G-Klav

Meh, what should this here say
    Years
    Lion Heart said:
    That's right.

I figure we have Boahtar covered, and Curselax isn't really that much of a threat - Roar him or Haze him.

So no need to really cover them anymore.

Next ones are the Calm Mind Dogs, which I'll do when I get home.

Gotta actually think of a way to nullify Raikou first.

Wouldn't Flygon do well against Raikou?
    I'm not sure about Flygon's stats, but let's say Raikou is faster than him (which I believe).
    Raikou's best bet is HP Ice, but would that really KO Flygon?

The next question I'm not sure about is whether or not Flygon could KO Raikou with his EQ...

What do you guys think?

husk1442

needs more [i]Mod[/i]
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 3, 2009
    HP: Ice is almost a definate K.O. to Flygon

Anything with a SpAtk of 290 (un STABbed) or greater will Ohko Flygon (at minimum damage) given Flygon has 6 Evs in HP and none in SpDef (which is standard for most flygon sets).

Eq from a Jolly Flygon would K.O. a Raikou

Edit: Yay 200 posts :D

Lion Heart

Banned
    Years
    Running Flygon as a counter is risky, as you don't know which HP Raikou has packed away, it could be Grass or Ice, if it's Grass, then Flygon could work, if it's Ice, then no.

Marowak may be able to take a hit, and Bonemerang Raikou's Sub, it'd deal quite a bit of damage, but then again, Raikou packs a huge punch after a Calm Mind.

DragonKing

Strategist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2005
    Lion Heart said:
    Boahtar

Standard set is:

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 1 Def / 48 Spd / 208 SAtk
    Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
    - Substitute
    - Focus Punch
    - Thunderbolt
    - Crunch
    Chaos says on Smogon that his EVs and Nature are as follows:

Tyranitar@Leftovers
    Trait: Sandstream
    EVs: 252 HP / 190 S Atk / 68 Spd
    Quiet Nature (+S Atk, -Spd)
    -Substitute
    -Focus Punch
    -Thunderbolt
    -Crunch

What is the point of 1 Def EV and what do you outspeed with 48 Spd EVs?

husk1442

needs more [i]Mod[/i]
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 3, 2009
    1 Def Ev doesn't really matter it just looks cool

what are you out speeding with 68 Spd Evs?

Personally I use

252 Hp/ 24 Atk/ 46 Def/ 188 SpAtk
    Quite nature(+SpAtk,-Spd)

I also use thunder over t-bolt but, meh

DragonKing

Strategist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2005
    You outspeed Weezing which is extremely important because Weezing can't break your sub in one hit with 404 HP (101 subs). You don't need EVs in attack when you are only going to use focus punch. I prefer outspeeding Weezing.

husk1442

needs more [i]Mod[/i]
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 3, 2009
    meh maybe

I prefer sending it out against something that can't do anything to me (alakazam and friends) and then subbing on the switch

DragonKing

Strategist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2005
    Lion Heart said:
    I got those EV's straight from the fellas at Smogon, so yeah.

The 1 point does nothing.

That one even has a different nature, so I have no idea what they are doing ^_^
    I just copied it right of the site, lol.
    Chaos and Jumpman16 said:
    Tyraniboah should be Quiet, with EVs as such: 252 HP, 68 Spd, 190 SpA. This is what I use, giving it just enough speed to outpace Weezing, which is extremely important to do, unlike Claydol, who is going to break your sub anyway since you can't OHKO it with Crunch even if you are faster with Rash. In my opinion, Boah should be be neither Mild nor Rash. You want it to be somewhat able to take a Surf from like a Suicune that's at 44% or lower, cause if it decides to stay in and Surf you, you will have killed it with the help of sandstorm. From a 300 SpA Tyraniboah, T-bolt does a minimum of 38% damage to a 266 SpD Suicune ? hardly anyone gives Suicune initial special defense so it's going to die to T-bolt...unless you're Rash, in which case, after your sub is broken, you stand a good chance of getting OHKOed by Surf depending on how much SpA Suicune has, since you're not at full HP after the sub.

Further, if you're Mild, then crap like Aero's DE can break you sub if it does max damage, and a 300 attack Snorlax will break your sub every single time with return/frustration. Not to mention Metagross has a great chance to OHKO, whereas with Quiet he needs absolute maximum damage.

Back