• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cover Songs

Okami Chi

El Guitar Man~
Years

• While modern covers often rock, I do hate when artists (usually of R 'n' B style) sample really good tracks in their songs.

Eg.

• "Misirlou" by Dick Dale & His Deltones is one of the most epic riffs of all time. Black Eyed Peas ruin it by sampling it in "Pump It".
    • "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" is an amazingly catchy tune. A real party anthem and always puts a smile on your face. Kanye West then makes "Stronger" where he relies heavily on a sample of this song. I admit it is an alright song but now people don't know the original and think he did it first! Everyone I know who has heard both songs concurs that Daft Punk's is better.
    Dick Dale - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9rg2uP_xXk
    Black Eyed Peas - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaI2IlHwmgQ

Daft Punk - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAjR4_CbPpQ
    Kanye West - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsO6ZnUZI0g

Judge for yourself.
    I have to agree about the part with people not knowing the original, but I love Kanye and his version. He just gave something more to the song. One of the few rap covers I like. I stress few. I just feel Kanye had a style that fit that song well. Also what you said about the new rock songs; re-doing classic rock into emo/main-stream music really kills my ears.

Years
    • WA
    • Seen Jul 19, 2012
    Thought not particularly more well known, these are the very best covers IMO.
    Red hot chilli Peppers - Search and Destroy (Original by Sex Pistols)
    Nirvana - The man who sold the world (Original by David Bowie)
    Rage against the machine - F*** the police (Original by NWA)
    Richard Cheese - Chop Suey (Original by System of a down)
    Editors - Lullaby (Original by The Cure)
    William Shatner - Common people (Original by Pulp) [I find this more hilarious than good though]

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Search and Destroy is by the Stooges, they're like the godfathers of punk.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Any cover of the Beyoncé song, Sweet Dreams gets me a warm inside. Every lyric makes me smile, seriously...

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • I don't like how Jay-Z made a cover of "Forever Young", he totally just ruined it. Leave the classics alone man...

See, I think Jay-Z did a favor to that song, the original was mediocre and dull. Also, it wasn't a cover, it was a sample.

While modern covers often rock, I do hate when artists (usually of R 'n' B style) sample really good tracks in their songs.

Eg.

• "Misirlou" by Dick Dale & His Deltones is one of the most epic riffs of all time. Black Eyed Peas ruin it by sampling it in "Pump It".
    • "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" is an amazingly catchy tune. A real party anthem and always puts a smile on your face. Kanye West then makes "Stronger" where he relies heavily on a sample of this song. I admit it is an alright song but now people don't know the original and think he did it first! Everyone I know who has heard both songs concurs that Daft Punk's is better.

While I agree with you on B.E.P's ruining Misirlou. Sampling is an integral part of the Hip-Hop style of music, that being Kanye did a pretty damn good job with his use of Daft Punks 'Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger'. Going back to sampling, close to 90% of Hip-Hop songs sample in one way or another, it's just the style of music. You'll be hard pressed to find songs that rely completely on original beats and hooks.

Left4Dead

Are you mental in the face?
    Years
  • I like Newton Faulkners cover of Teardrops originally by Massive Attack. Although I prefer the original AND the original was more popular I still like it :)

Reina

pandasaur!
    Years
  • The only cover I really like is the cover of Smooth by Escape the Fate, Originally by Santana. It's not nearly as popular as the original though xD

Ayselipera

- All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix / First performed by Bob Dylan
    - Black Magic Women - Santana / First performed by Fleetwood Mac
    - Blinded by the Light - Manfred Mann's Earth Band / First performed by Bruce Springsteen
    - Come on Feel the Noise - Quiet Riot / First performed by Slade
    - Hallelujah - Jeff Buckely / First performed by Leonard Cohen

That's all I can think of. I personally don't like any cover songs of the Beatles. They're such an original that I can't like any other version. Same as for the song "I Shot the Sheriff" by Bob Marley. Eric Clapton's version will never out beat it. Oh, and also I don't like any cover songs of the Kinks or the Supremes either. I love those bands too much to like the cover songs. Some songs are just meant to be left alone.

giraffesPlz

The Hero ♥
    Years
  • The only cover I really like is the cover of Smooth by Escape the Fate, Originally by Santana. It's not nearly as popular as the original though xD

I love that cover<3 Also! O:

I Kissed A Girl covered by Attack Attack! <3
    See You Again covered by Breathe Carolina
    Holding Out For A Hero covered by Emery
    You Spin Me Round covered by Dope
    Careless Whisper covered by Seether

and stuff like that :> Admittedly, a lot of the covers I know come from the Punk Goes.. series of albums but what can I say xD

On the other hand, I dislike basically all of the covers of Last Christmas by Wham! xD It's an amazing song that just doesn't need to be covered in my opinion. Besides that, I don't find covers in general, and most of the ones I do, I end up liking.

Back