• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

CP - a definitive measure?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I was taking on a Vaporeon in a gym yesterday using my Golbat with my Pokémon being around 200 CP higher than theirs. I was ensuring to dodge her special attacks and using mine when appropriate, but the basic damage Vaporeon was doing and the amount of HP it had made my Golbat struggle quite significantly. I then took a look through my team and analysed their CP values, noting that my 1,181 Magmar feels 100% weaker than my 1,012 Gengar and my 929 Starmie feels much stronger than either of those two. This got me to thinking; just how good of a measure of strength really is CP?

What are your thoughts on a Pokémon's power level vs their CP relative to other Pokémon? Do you think CP is a good measure of how strong each Pokémon is, or do you think it's only useful for comparing two of the same species? Do you think it's always a good idea to stick to your six highest CP Pokémon in battles, or add some lower CP Pokémon which you find will out-perform the higher CP ones? How accurate is CP as a measure of Pokémon strength?

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I'm pretty sure HP and moves are big factors as well. Jolteon, for example, will always have lower HP than Vaporeon, even if they're both at similar CP. This means that, despite its type advantage, Jolteon will struggle to wittle down Vaporeon's HP. Meanwhile Vaporeon can spam out plenty of neutral hits, taking out sizable chunks of Jolteon's limited HP bar. There's also moves to consider. Your basic attack hits many times in quick succession, so a base power of, say, 10, racks up a lot more damage than a low base power of 5 or 6. I've read that Pokemon also have Attack and Defense stats hidden away somewhere, too, but I'm not sure how significant that is in comparison to the general CP value (or how valid it is in the first place).

Basically, CP seems to be a good general measure of a Pokemon's strength, but you'll definitely want to factor in things like moves, HP, and type advantages when attacking or defending gyms.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    I've read that Pokemon also have Attack and Defense stats hidden away somewhere, too, but I'm not sure how significant that is in comparison to the general CP value (or how valid it is in the first place).

Can you share where you've read this? I'm currently looking into this so I can find a process to use to dive deeper into the Pokemon that I find. Your assistance is greatly appreciated or others that may come across this thread and assist.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2016
    Can you share where you've read this? I'm currently looking into this so I can find a process to use to dive deeper into the Pokemon that I find. Your assistance is greatly appreciated or others that may come across this thread and assist.

If you have android there is an app you can download that will tell you the hidden IV's of your pokemon and it's very useful.. I just searched "Pokemon Go Calculator" and found it let me know if you have any questions on it!

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    If you have android there is an app you can download that will tell you the hidden IV's of your pokemon and it's very useful.. I just searched "Pokemon Go Calculator" and found it let me know if you have any questions on it!

WoW Boss thanks - I'll let you know if I have any further questions.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • Some attacks also are a lot of faster so they can kill you faster. Like water gun is one of the best basic attacks in the game as it can be spammed way to much. Vaporeon has high cp, broken basic attack and a high hp pool. Its the reason he is so high tiered.

Back