• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Creating a rom hack from scratch ?

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    Hi,

i want to create my own rom hack based on a firered version. I want to create my own map, story, etc..

I've already read all the tutorials available on this subforum, but there is no information about creating a brand new version of an existing rom.

All I want is to use the resources from firered, and use it to create my own version, and completly deleting the main story etc..

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2017
    Hi,

i want to create my own rom hack based on a firered version. I want to create my own map, story, etc..

I've already read all the tutorials available on this subforum, but there is no information about creating a brand new version of an existing rom.

All I want is to use the resources from firered, and use it to create my own version, and completly deleting the main story etc..
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=161616

That's a tutorial for using Advance Map, and is most of what you need. You'll need a few other programs, as well, but A-Map is the biggest one for changing the maps. There are also rombases that blank out all the maps, but I really don't see the point, as you can just edit the maps however you want.

EDIT: Basically, creating an original story and region is exactly the same process as editing the existing maps and story, just more in-depth.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    It's a case of "walk before you can run". Deleting the whole storyline is removing the scripts and creating your own, which is a case of learning scripting and more advanced styles of scripting to serve the purpose. Same with maps - remove old maps, make new ones in Advance Maps. It's just building upon "basic" tutorials.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    According to you, I can just erase the existing map and build a new one ?

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    According to you, I can just erase the existing map and build a new one ?

Pretty much, you edit the existing maps to an extent that makes them totally different, and can even replace maps too. It's what everyone else does, and is what people always say in tutorials (which I am assuming you've read) so it's not just according to me but also the vast majority of this site too :)

BUT baby steps. Don't learn to run before you can walk. Start small, then build up from it. Start with basic scripts and maps before throwing yourself at a full project straight away. You've got time.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    Ofc, first i just want to build the main village :)

thanks for the advice

Back