• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: Creating New Battle Animations

Years
More interesting information:
I don't really get this one, but it seems that 0A XX YY 00 02 00 00 00 is the command to color a Pokémon (like the white in Mist and the purple in Sludge). The YY byte appears to define what is colored. 04 is opponent's Pokémon, 0F appears to be the whole area (Heat Wave?) Then, a byte follows that decides the limits of the color. 09 appears to be limited to basic red (Flame Wheel), while 0C/0E seems to accept any color. After that, a 00 byte appears, then the color in reverse hex.
Then, extracting data from Mist, the command is 0A 00 08 00 02 00 00 00 0E 00 FF 7F? However, using Flame Wheel's data, changing the bytes to 00 08 crashes the animation..???
Finally, looking at Heat Wave, the command used to color the whole background is 06 02 06 00 00 1F, while the command used to color the sand particles is 06 00 06 00 00 1F. Just a single byte's difference. The structure appears kinda similar, but it IS different, which is weird, since most animations using the same resource usually is the same command. Get the confusion?
The reason why I am posting this now is because it needs to be better researched and finalised before it can become a proper command. Help please?

Lance32497

LanceKoijer of Pokemon_Addicts
Years
I try to calculate the offset for SHADOW BALL, but I dont know what is the indication that this byte is the last byte for the move SHADOW BALL? How can I identify the end byte of a certain move???

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2017
Today i was doing some reserach on the script engine of this language and figuered out, how some commands work. I have not worked through them all and yet I dont understand everything the commands do. The list i am posting is for firered german, so the offsets won't fit a english rom, but the way the commands work should be the same

Spoiler:

kittopian

Source engine coder
Years
I have recently got back into ROM hacking, and I am now working on a tool to make editing move animations slightly easier by "decompiling" it into some kind of pseudo-scripting 'language'. So far, it seems to work "ok", for instance, fly seems to be parsed nicely:
Code:
load ac 27;
load 97 27;
2waybranch f71f2d08 0f202d08;
wait;

However, It seems to "break" very easily, as evident by this move (Vine whip):
Code:
load 2f 28;
sound 8f 0;
execute 28fe578 2 2;
delay 0;
nop;
load 4 6;
sound 9b 0;
execute e828598 82 2;
load 0 0;
load 4 6;
unknown2 d152d8 2 5;
load 2 0;
load 0 6;
load 1 0;

it mainly has trouble with 0x02, and 0x03. It may be due to me miscounting the number of arguments it uses. Can someone tell me the number of arguments these "commands" accept? Or a way of "splitting" these commands? Any help will be appreciated and thank you for your time.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jul 3, 2015
=
02 24 7B 3E 08 02 05 01 00 SS 00 00 00 YY 00 XX XX 05

Where XX XX is the color you want, YY is the intensity (0C for Giga Drain- 10 replaces the background entirely with the given color), and SS is the speed of the transition (01 for Giga Drain, but I imagine Hyper Beam and other attacks use the same logic with a higher value). To revert the background to normal, place the following:

02 24 7B 3E 08 02 05 01 00 SS 00 YY 00 00 00 XX XX 05 0B 03 0D

The values here do not have to be the same, but I'd advise making the color and intensity the same or it will abruptly change at the start of the transition back.

I used 02 24 7B 3E 08 02 05 01 00 SS 00 YY 00 00 00 XX XX 05 0B 03 0D after the move and The background doesn't revert to normal. It continued colored... What can I do to reverte to normal... please show me a example with a move like tackle or slash!!!! Thanks!!!

Years
I used 02 24 7B 3E 08 02 05 01 00 SS 00 YY 00 00 00 XX XX 05 0B 03 0D after the move and The background doesn't revert to normal. It continued colored... What can I do to reverte to normal... please show me a example with a move like tackle or slash!!!! Thanks!!!
Here is an example (Giga Drain), with the colored background bytes in bold:
Spoiler:

Hope this helps.

Cataclyptic

Everything I say is a lie
Years
Hey, can anyone help me? I'm trying to do a simple animation of Sky Attack in Emerald: either to let both animations run in one turn, or to do the second animation on the first turn to reflect its new in game status. Using some hex, I've learned that the location of the animation is at 2CD17B however I cannot find out which byte tells it to pause the animation until next turn, or which byte is responsible for the second half of the attack.

In the tutorial you say to replace the 08 with a 11 or 0E but there are many of those in the index, and I cannot figure out which one I am supposed to edit (mostly because I can't find out where the animation ends and a new animation for a new move begins). I have already tried to edit some but they just freeze the game when Sky Attack is selected.

If anybody can answer this it would be much appreciated.

ChocolateDream

I've followed the night slash step and it worked fine but when I tried to create a move that would have hyper voice has an animation of hyper voice and a stary background but every time I tried the background would never disappear. Iv'e made sure to input the end bg command and add another 08 but it never worked. If anyone could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

AdeptSceptile

That One With A Garbage Nature
Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Dec 2, 2023
0D 04 02 15 17 is the scrolling ending animation code for emerald

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen yesterday
I'm making a GUI application that will help automate this process. One thing that I can't seem to find is the background hex code for the Attract background. Does anyone know the value?

Back