• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crediting People for Rips

Do People EARN Credit When They Rip Resources?

• Yes

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters

marcc5m

what
    Years
    No because it's not your own work. It's like going into a chocolate factory, taking some chocolate and saying you made it. However, if you took the recipe, and then made the chocolate, then it is indeed yours, as you have made it. Anyone can just take the chocolate, but it takes real work to actually make it yourself.
    I'm hungry now.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    No because it's not your own work. It's like going into a chocolate factory, taking some chocolate and saying you made it. However, if you took the recipe, and then made the chocolate, then it is indeed yours, as you have made it. Anyone can just take the chocolate, but it takes real work to actually make it yourself.
    I'm hungry now.
    Well, it's more like going into a chocolate factory, taking the chocolate, and saying to TOOK it. And giving it to your friend. Ripping is the same way. If ripping is stealing, then those using the rips are supporting the theft. It's like your friend asking you to go into that chocolate factory and steal some chocolate for him. He thanks you for giving him the chocolate, not making it, since you saved him from having to go to the trouble himself. He doesn't just take it and say get out, and he knew that it was wrong. Of course, this also depends on your perspective of stealing. Digital theft is a bit ambiguous, since the entity you "stole" from doesn't lose the item in any way, nor do they lose any profit unless you are distributing the item for profit (which is when Nintendo steps in), or you obtain the item when it is available for sale and so you yourself don't buy it (which is how ROMS work). Nintendo still has every single sprite and image from their games at their disposal, since they didn't pass hands. No one hacked Nintendo's servers or whatever and moved the files off of them onto their own device. It's a copy, not the original item.

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2011
    I give credit to the rippers even if they say they don't want credit. because i know that they went through the trouble of ripping those images from the game, i have no idea how to do it but i would imagine that it is a major pain in the ass. And the fact that they saved ME a lot of time by them just simply uploading it and all i have to do is give credit to them, thats not a problem at all for me.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
    It depends to me on what they rip, and how much work it took. One or two ripped sprites, not really, but an entire tile set or sprite collection - Sure, give them some credit, it's a huge time saver on my part.

Back