• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Critique info and request thread

~Ozy~

PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic
Years
  • All right, while I'll still do the random critiques/reviews I also want to open this up as a standardization of my format for them and a means for any poets who want a review to request one, either in this thread or via PM. Before you request anything, please note that these are not going to be generic comments with the possibility of a number attached. I'll do my best to look at both the technical and abstract merits of a poem and include those in my post. I will also do my utmost to remain fair-minded. This does not mean kind, it means that I will try not to dismiss your work because of a personal distaste for it, or a positive or negative personal relationship with the poet. The exception at the moment is goth/emo poetry. If anyone can show me a truly creative and original goth/emo poem, I'll remove that qualifier (This does not mean gothic poetry, that's an entirely different story).

Now, onto my review format.

What Went Wrong: A rundown of what I feel are the negative aspects of the poem, either technical or abstract.

What Went Right: A discussion of the best aspects of the poem, technical or abstract.

How To Improve: This can include advice on things to add or take out, how to fix the negative aspects or enhance the positive ones, in some cases, advic on becoming a better poet in general.

Mechanics: Were the conventions of proper language followed (Note: if there are "errors" in the piece that were used to artistic effect, they will not factor into this score)? 1-5 scale.

Fluidity: Did the rhythm and/or rhyme suit the piece? Did any deviations from the established structures interrupt the poem? Were the ideas coherant and solid throughout the piece? 1-5 scale.

Poetic Devices: Were they used? Which ones? Were they used effectively, to make the poem meaningful, or did they interfere? 1-5 scale.

Originality: Did the poet rehash old ideas? If so, were they presented in a new way, or has it been seen before? Was the piece creative, and did the poet attempt to play with language or poetic coneventions at all? 1-5 scale.

Overall Score: A score for the entire poem, taken as a whole. This is not an average (or approximate average, I guess) of the other scores given as this is a score based on what I, as a reader take from the piece, not an evaluation of more technical components.

Well, there you have it. This is the format I'll be using in critiques from now on. Please, if you want a review, ask me. I'll do my best to be honest and to help you improve.

Back