• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Crystal Challenge

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2023
    Hey everybody! Recently I have been playing a little bit of pokemon showdown, which has made me think a little bit about the competitive side of pokemon and how it works. All the best pokemon pros in the world have pokemon with the best ev's, best nature, and best ivs possible with movesets that fit the style of their team....but remember the days when that didn't matter? Back in the day, people didn't worry (or even know) about ev's and certain natures and iv's that their pokemon had. They only cared about getting the pokemon they caught to level 100 and being better then their friends! You trained pokemon YOUR way and saw if it worked out for the best. This could be anywhere from grinding the e4 to death, stocking up on rare candies, or training on anything you saw in the wild. That is what I feel pokemon is all about.

So what is this crystal challenge (the title of this thread :P)? Well....it is a competition to see who is a true pokemon master! With technology in the emulation field booming, and people figuring out ways to play online with Gameboys and other emulators, I thought this would be a great time to introduce this challenge. This challenge consists of making a team of pokemon (lv100) and training them however you want and eventually battling against other people in an ultimate tourney!

My idea:

- You can register 6-12 pokemon to use during the tournament
    - They don't have to be lv100, but it is strongly recommended
    - Anyway of training is ok (except for cheating, such as action replay/ gameshark codes, etc).
    - Training at fast emulation speed is recommended to get pokemon higher level fast
    - All legendary pokemon are banned
    - Any pokemon not related with gen 1 or gen 2 are also banned (no fakemon, or rom hackmon :P)
    - No cheating of any kind is allowed (this shouldn't have to be stated, but I will anyway). Don't change stats of pokemon to get an advantage, and don't allow pokemon to use moves that they can't learn, and anything else bad applies as well.
    - OHKO moves are allowed (if you guys don't want this to be allowed, it can always be changed).
    - Can't think of anything else atm

I'm putting this out here to see how much support it will get. There are a lot of things that still need to be worked out (ex: how the tourney will work with online, what date will registration be and when will tourney start, etc.). Any help and knowledge of the emulator's online capabilities and any rules to add or delete from the challenge are greatly appreciated. Any preferences on dates would also be greatly appreciated. IMHO, I was thinking probably around Late December (sometime before or after Christmas). Using faster emulator speeds should be fairly easy to get atleast 6 lv100 pokes, but we will just have to see.

I hope that this gets some support. Like I said before, all help and ideas are welcome. Spread the word!

Back