• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Crystal: Will this team win the whole game?

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2014
    This is the final build:

Shiny Typhlosion (Heh so happy about him, he was my starter- without SR :D)
    Poliwrath - Surf
    Victreebell - Cut
    Pidgeot - Fly
    Tyranitar - Possibly Strength
    Sycther or Kadabra

What I have now:

Shiny Typhlosion
    Poliwag
    Bellsprout
    Pidgeotto
    Abra

What should I change and will this get me past the E4 and red?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Honestly? Pretty anything will get you through the game, just as so long as you're at a decent level (though even if you aren't, if you have the advantage, you can beat like... Blue with Pokemon that are ten levels below his. >> -has done it multiple times in her games- )

Between Scyther and Kadabra, though? I would have to say Kadabra. It's always good to have a Psychic pokemon your team, and Poliwrath can do the handling of beating up Dark foes, just as do long as you give him a fighting move. :3 If you don't however, I would choose Scyther, make sure he has a bug Move, and use him against Dark foes.

Kadabra might be the better choice in general though.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2014
    Sorry, I didn't really know. I heard Red had some beastly Pokemon. By the way, is getting Tyranitar hard?

Years
  • Getting Tyranitar can be pretty hard because you can't catch his evolved form until the very end of the game. You won't be able to use him until you've beaten ALL of the gym leaders including the 8 from Kanto.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
  • Yeah, but you can only get him after youve beaten all the gym leaders; Kanto and Johto. You wont be able to get larvitar till the end anyways, so I would pick something else for the time being.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2020
    If you're using Scyther you pretty much need to have Swords Dance, Double Team, Agility and Fury Cutter. Make yourself untouchable.

Years
  • Can't I get a larvitar pretty early though?

Sorry, I meant unevolved form. You can't get Larvitar until Mt. Silver (which you can only access after you've beaten everything in the game except for Red), so it's not good for a team member unless you trade one over for another game.

Years
  • yeah a high enough Tyranitar could wipe out the elite four and red, all alone no problem, I've done it, get it to maybe LV 90 knowing rockslide, crunch, earthquake, and some other broad attack move (like fire blast/fire punch), and your all set.

and you would have to trade one in to use it before MT. silver so its hard to do.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2009
    wow...i find i can usually go through the game if i overpower the starting pokemon. That's a little cheap though, i suppose

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2011
    ur pkmn will have to be at a really high level (77-85) just so u know. if he hasnt changed pkmn from g/s to crystal they should be espeon, charizard, pikachu, venasaur, blastoise, and snorlax, with most of them beign at level 77 or around and pika at level 81.

"Shiny Typhlosion (Heh so happy about him, he was my starter- without SR )
    Poliwrath - Surf
    Victreebell - Cut
    Pidgeot - Fly
    Tyranitar - Possibly Strength
    Sycther or Kadabra

What I have now:

Shiny Typhlosion
    Poliwag
    Bellsprout
    Pidgeotto
    Abra"

i recomend removing, poliwag, bellsprout, and pidgeotto, keep, typhlosion, abra, and scyther.
    recomended moves for typho. thunderpunch, earthquake, fireblast, and some other strong move,
    abra, after evolving wait till it learns psychic and recover, then trade it to make it evolve and get it back, teach it dynamic punch and shadow ball, it should stand a good chance vs dark and ghost.
    get a normal type such as a taurus, ursaring, or miltank they are pretty strong and cover ur blind spots and reinforce other types. tyranitar is good but as some one already said u dont get to catch one till the end and u catch it like at level 25 or so.
    build your team around your main pkmn, thats a very important point in considering what pkmn you should have in a line up, fo ex, get a water typr like gyarados or lapras, that can learn , electric, grass, psychic, fire, rock, ground moves (btw both of them)

but if u decide to keep ur team give balance them, give them protein, carbos, iron, hp up ok level them up by defeating the elite 4, use the old switcharoo, start a bttle with a weak pkmn then switch to a stronger one to share exp. points. good luck if u need any help let me know

zappy_flash

Arcanist Lobby usual
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Since your team has the good variety in types im with you all the way with that team

Back