• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Cubone/marowak legend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
That's not answering my question.

Cubone and Baby Kangaskhan have several major differences between their designs that are also shared in the adult Kangaskhan, meaning that they'd have to had pulled out all the stops to change their designs to be different from one another, when much more trivial errors have remained in Pokéon games before (Sneasel's palette and Raikou's face in G/S, Dratini's belly in R/G/B and Charmander's Gen 1 backsprite to name a few.)

MirroRz

You sure?
Years
I was implying an answer, using what you said. Based on the original art Venomoth shows more similarites to Caterpie than Butterfree does. But that's just original art, and I'm not saying Cubone is Kangaskan's baby, just that I support it.

"Last second" doesn't literally mean right before the games were released, either. Cubone could've been their first idea, but GF decided to go a completely different way with it. They've got their differences, but a lot of similarities, as pointed out.

HinaBaby

#1 Spongebob Fan!
Years
This is interesting, well they are alike but there aren't any good explanations behind these theory.

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2011
...Nice theory. But... It has holes...

First of all, how in the hell could a ground pokemon evolve into a normal pokemon? It just doesn't make sense. And, i'm sorry, but... Cubone and baby Kangaskhan don't look alike. They eyes, and the little horns... Just, no.

If you look closely,
4458124351_1ee266212c_o.png
Cubone has a slightly darker underbelly... But the two do look remotely similar. Hmm... I'll start researching your theory. I like your ideas, btw, i just don't think it would work, sorry to say. This has been discussed on a few other forums too. Btw, its just a coincidence that 'M evolves into Kangaskhan. Because it can also evolve into clefairy if i'm not mistaken.
i love that pokemon ^^ .cause great move ,and tougher when evolve

Years
Out of curiosity, is a cubones skull actually part of it as a shell is to a turtle or is it just something that can be easily removed like a helmet?

jimbozo21

Veteran Pokemaniac
Years
Always kinda wondered this myself... just thinking out loud buut maybe a male/female evolution diviation? like female cubone -> Kangaskan and male cubone -> Marowak? i mean... just a theory :P and as for the missingno/m thing, ive evolved missingnos into MANY different things... Golduck, Rhydon, Kangaskan, Sandslash, Clefairy, and Omanyte (which was awesome cuz i got both fossils pokemon with no trade :D) just to name a few. i mean the way ive heard it told was simmilar but somewhere along the lines it included the whole thing with 'ghost' marowak at lavendar town. i suppose you could fabricate something out of those few statements, but i personally belive there is some correlation between kangaskan and cubone.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2021
Can I just point out how stupid this claim is. You say 'originally'. By that I assume you are referring to Pokemon Red and Green (the japanese versions). Lets compare the sprites.

Cubone

Spr_1g_104.png

Kangaskhan

Spr_1g_115.png

Look at the baby Kangaskhan. The only resemblance it has to Cubone is the colour of its belly. It doesn't have sticky out ears, nor white eyes.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 4, 2013
There is a site, unfortunately I do not have the necessary amount of posts to link the URL, that explains it. If you search Kangaskan and the MissingNo it should be the very first link, the site is hungrypokemon.net though it is still just speculation.

Personally I believe that it is just coincidence, just like the way that you can catch a Mew in the original Red and Blue legitimately by fighting a Slowpoke.

Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2012
I have an idea just throwing it out there, well I say idea, probably a way it should be.

Kangaskhan have a baby, if it has a male, it causes the Kangaskhan to die (due to the fact Cubone is bigger than the baby Kangaskhan) the baby puts on the skull and fully becomes a Cubone.

But how do they get female Cubone? Well if a female Kangaskhan baby is born, the mother survives and keeps it in the pouch and it eventually evolves into a Kangaskhan. However if the mother dies for some reason before the female baby Kangaskhan evolves, it puts on the skull and changes into a female Cubone.

This makes Kangaskhan and Cubone/Marowak sort of related, but neither evolve into each other.

Last edited:

Venzeron

Canine Pokemon Master
Years
Thry should just male a Rooskahn. they could be very rare and only have a 5.5 chance of being hactched. And a wallaskhan, the pre-evolved form, if it's male, you get a rooskhan and if it's female, it evolves into kangaskhan.

I totaly agree with Giratina.

cubones, where the skull of their dead mother.

hahaiamchris

Ultimate Dragon Taimer
Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2013
Wow

Wow, I never really noticed the Similarity. This is a cool fact, and something I didn't know, so thanks for saying that.

Years
  • Seen Jun 3, 2011
Ok... Funnily, I've just kinda researched this the past few days haha. Anyways, I believe it IS true. Why? well...
Cubone is known for wearing the skull of his mother, it's loose on its head (as seen in the Gen I episode just before the league with Cubone). When it evolves, it becomes part of Marowak's skull, both skulls kinda intertwine.
When a Kangaskhan mother dies, their child doesn't die with them. Instead, it picks up their skull and changes/evolves into a Cubone. They resemble some color-schemes and some characteristics too.

Other then that, isn't it possible that male Marowaks do NOT evolve and female DO? Just like some other gender-specific evolutions? (Ralts-line)

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
This would make sense considering the slight similar body structure.
and when cubone evolves into marowak. Marowak has lines on it's belly which could mean a pouch forming and then evolves again pouch fully forms and the skull smashes because head is too big D:

either way it's a good rumour/legend xD

Pokemon Game Fan

The Batman
Years
I don't believe it. I think it's just the MissingNo glitch being created into a whole big story. Someone made me laugh once, they wrote something like "the missingno was an original pokemon that was going to be created but Gamefreaks took it out so it still haunts pokemon games to get it's revenge on Gamefreaks for trying to take it out" - like really? No, it's just a mess up by Gamefreaks, it's not a dang Ghost.. xD

Although, if Gamefreaks thought about it, they could totally make the MissingNo an actual pokemon. I can already see it,
"Pre-order Pokemon Grey at Gamestop and get the MissingNo in one of it's three forms!" (Ghost, Aerodactyl, Kabutops fossils)

Or an article on the MissingNo
"The MissingNo is a pokemon that was originally an error but became a real Pokemon in games due to it's popularity."

Years
  • Seen Jun 7, 2013
When i first heard of this theory, as others have said, that Kangaskhan was originally meant to be the evolution of Marowak but was scraped as it was too gruesome. So, either way its not canon, but it makes sense. Plus, in the original sprite, Kangaskhans head seems more elongated than in newer renditions, looking a little more like Cubone's skull. The fact that the eyes are different is probably cause its a baby and adult kangaskhans eyes look like cubones and marowaks. Also, the the red/blue sprite you can see a dark line under the skull above the eye, looks a bit like Kangaskhans dark part on top of its head (though it could just be a shadow), so i think its true.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
This thread hasn't been posted in since 2012, making it inactive. Feel free to start a new thread about this though. However, post it in Pokemon General. Not sure why I never moved this one there, but oh well lol.

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back