• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Current attitudes towards homophobia

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    Hello everyone!

I am exploring current attitudes towards the acceptance ofhomophobia in society. With its association between stereotypes and traditionalgender roles.

Below is a short study which will aim to answer thisquestion, therefore any responses will be greatly appreciated! This study isfor a master's project for a UK university. The link is as follows: https://lboro.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/attitudes-towards-homophobia
    Many Thanks!!!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    This is likely better in the Treehouse than here, so I'ma move it there.....

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I answered the survey but for the majority of the questions, my face was like:
    Current attitudes towards homophobia

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I almost answered the questions the opposite way lol.

There was 1 bad question in my opinion, but the rest were fine. It was if you enjoy hanging out with gay people, and it really depends on the person. If someone is gay and a jerk, then I wouldnt want to hang out with him, but if he is gay and nice, I have no problem hanging out with him.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I almost answered the questions the opposite way lol.

There was 1 bad question in my opinion, but the rest were fine. It was if you enjoy hanging out with gay people, and it really depends on the person. If someone is gay and a jerk, then I wouldnt want to hang out with him, but if he is gay and nice, I have no problem hanging out with him.

I think it was supposed to be a general thing, like if you can enjoy hanging out with someone despite them being gay. Without the details of if they're nice or not, haha.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    Thankyou everybody for completing the survey it is greatly appreciated!
    I can provide a brief summary of results when the project is complete!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • If you're homophobic, get the hell away from me, and never talk to me again. You're my enemy.

& I answered the survey for you.

Adore

Party.
    Years
  • It's pretty hard to be gay and homophobic XD But I answered!

It actually isn't. I've personally encountered plenty of gay people who are just as homophobic as their straight peers (ex: masculine gay guys who bash feminine gay guys). Any person in the LGBT+ community will tell you our society and culture is inherently homophobic. Just because you're gay doesn't mean it doesn't take a lot of education on lgbt+ issues, history, and politics to unlearn that behavior. Believe me, I know from experience.

Anyway, I answered your survey, OP. Best of luck with your research.

Electricbluewolf

Bᴇ pıɟɟǝɹǝuʇ
    Years
  • To me some questions aren't specific enough.

I might not like someone because of their personality, not because they are gay. I also might be cross at my friend for not telling me that they are gay not because they are gay but because I would hope they'd know I wouldn't care, and would support them whatever sexuality they were.

Some of the questions though do people really think like that? Or even say those things? Cause damn if they do

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Some of the questions though do people really think like that? Or even say those things? Cause damn if they do
    Yeah I don't understand the kind of person that says things like this. What the hell inspires such an idiotic mindset? Stuff like this
    When I see a gay person I think, "What a waste."
    What? Who thinks like that? Why is that a thing that's even acceptable? I don't get these people at all. Even if your religion dictates things like that, why do you feel that you can impose your beliefs on total strangers?
    I fear homosexual persons will make sexual advances towards me
    Andy (Shining Raichu) has a blog post from a few years ago that pretty much addresses this "concern."
    Shining Raichu said:
    Secondly, there is an ironic little secret I will let you in on: We are not attracted to you. The fact that we prefer penises does not mean that we want yours. If you are the kind of guy who would find it disgusting for another man to be attracted to you, then you are not the sort of guy that another man would be attracted to. Unless that man has Daddy issues and you remind them of their homophobic father. Then I can't help you.

Years
  • Is there even any reason for gays to complete this test? I don't think it's fair because this test refers to gays as gays in general, not only one type of gays you hate/like. And obviously normal people won't hate themselves (if you really hate yourselves and other people like you, that's not ok, actually, hating anyone is not ok in my opinion).

To be completely fair though, when I see a hot straight guy I also think "what a waste"

Haha, that's actually really funny.
    I wonder what people who use this logic think of bisexual people. I guess they (well, actually "we") are 100% efficient.

Back