• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Current TCG Modifed Format list.

chezhead

Thirty characters is not enoug
    Years
    I'm very upset about this. It's basically a "Hey buy more cards!" thing. I have a great deck with loads of different cards in it, some ranging back to the first sets, others are right up there in the diamond and pearl. I will be using this deck in casual games, but still...

EDIT: Woah. Old. I didn't see the year.

Still, I'm not happy about this.

Years
    Yeah, It's really retarded. The people I talk to INSIST it's to keep the format fresh, but everybody knows it's BS. There's definately a ploy to make people buy more cards, and it also makes people keep having to change their decks. Don't get me wrong, change is good, and it's also good to mix it up. But it's not good if you're building a deck around a specific card and that card happens to get rotated out before you ever have a chance to see it shine to it's full potential. I should know. It's happened to me twice, and both of those decks are now reserved for casual play.

Years
    Yeah, It's really retarded. The people I talk to INSIST it's to keep the format fresh, but everybody knows it's BS. There's definately a ploy to make people buy more cards, and it also makes people keep having to change their decks. Don't get me wrong, change is good, and it's also good to mix it up. But it's not good if you're building a deck around a specific card and that card happens to get rotated out before you ever have a chance to see it shine to it's full potential. I should know. It's happened to me twice, and both of those decks are now reserved for casual play.

It's both to keep the format fresh AND to keep people buying cards. They wouldn't be making nearly as much money if they didn't phase cards out every year, though it should be worth noting that there was no rotation of any sets in 2009. And if they aren't making as much money off of it, there's less incentive for them to keep running Organized Play events. Simple as that, really.

Raikou Trainer

Competitive Pokemon TCG player
    Years
    This thread really needs to be updated. Here's the list I posted a few months ago here.

New changes have been made to the Modified format for Organized Play tournaments.

In the interest of maintaining a healthy tournament environment, Pokémon Organized Play removes older sets from the Modified format at the beginning of each new tournament season. Each rotation challenges existing players to create new strategies while enabling new players to get into Organized Play with a minimal investment.

Last year we announced that our goal was to have a Modified format that starts with 9 regular sets at the beginning of the season and ends the season with about 13 regular sets. Now that we have achieved that goal, we will continue to rotate sets each year to ensure that our Organized Play environment remains healthy and vital moving forward.

The Modified format for the 2010-2011 season will consist of the following sets:

Diamond & Pearl—Majestic Dawn
    Diamond & Pearl—Legends Awakened
    Diamond & Pearl—Stormfront
    Platinum
    Platinum—Rising Rivals
    Platinum—Supreme Victors
    Platinum—Arceus
    Rumble
    HeartGold & SoulSilver
    HS—Unleashed
    HS Trainer Kit
    Black Star Promo Cards numbered DP22 and higher and Black Star Promo Cards numbered HGSS01 and higher.

In addition, future Pokémon TCG sets will become legal as they are released, per the Pokémon Organized Play Tournament Rules.
    I still stand by my disapproval of the new format, BTW.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    I think the rotations should promote change more than anything, sure they make money off of new cards but you can't blame a business for acting like a business. The only thing I disliked about the most recent rotation was that it didn't allow for much change in terms of what's popular, it's still mostly SP, gyarados, and machamp just like before. However, if they do have a mid-season rotation like some are speculating, then it would make sense for them to not change up the format too much when they were just planning to change it a few months later.

edit: sorry didn't realize this was so old :\

Back