• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Currently, there are 40 unused type combos.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I can actually foresee a Normal/Ghost idea being plausible. Like maybe a pokemon based off the ghost of a human, lol.

What about a pokemon where some parts of it's body is ethereal while other parts are solid?

Or perhaps something like Parasect with a ghostly being possessing an innocent animal.

Personally I'd love to see Steel/Poison, Psychic/Poison and Electric/Fighting.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    A Fairy/Ghost would be pretty insane to have. Three Immunizes and two weaknesses (steel and ghost) which no pokemon has a type combo of.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • The abundance of unused type combinations involving the Normal and Poison types is staggering; the presence of a lot of unused Fairy type combos is to be expected, I guess, due to being newly-introduced.

Hey, thanks. That's actually the exact thing I was going to link to.
    But personally, I'd love to see some of these combos. A Bug/Dragon type would be awesome, even though I'm not much of a user of either. There are also a lot of good puns that could come out of these - a Grass/Rock (yes it has been done before, but still) acoustic guitar could evolve into an Electric/Rock electric guitar. Just for pun.

Great pun. XD

A lot of the normal types wouldn't really make sense though. So it would be stupid to have those types added. Like a normal/ghost is a complete oxymoron!

There's some peculiar Pokemon design just begging to be given that type combination, I imagine. XD

Well, there you go. My username is close enough for a Water/Fire type (And comes with a unique range of signature moves too ;)).

As for new typings, I'm surprised Electric/Fighting isn't a used combo. If I was developer I'd re-categorize Electivire's typing to that new typing. We know it has a high Attack stat, so why not? Ice/Fighting is another combo I think will be coming up in Gen 7, although the only possibilities would perhaps be something like a fighting penguin/polar bear if we were to take that chance.

{XD} Electivire does lend itself quite well to the Electric/Fighting combination, although, if Magmortar is perceived as its counterpart, I'd want Magmortar to be dual-typed as well... But I'm really not in the mood for more Fire/Fighting Pokemon at the moment after what happened between the fiery starter Pokemon of Generations 3, 4, and 5. -.- An Ice/Fighting penguin Pokemon would be cool, although I would hope that the design is distinct enough from Empoleon.. The Pokemon Garnet fangame had a great looking penguin Pokemon that might've worked well... Also, we could have an Ice/Fighting "snowman" Pokemon.. XD

I'd love to see a grass-dragon type. It'd probably look really cool, and I'd expect it to do alright gameplay-wise despite the 4x ice weakness.
    Am I the only one disappointed that Ninetales didn't gain a part Fairy-type?
    Also, Normal-Ghost would be incredibly powerful. Immune to Fighting, Normal, and Ghost, and weak only to Dark.

I wanted Serperior to be Grass/Dragon (what with it being all regal and serpentine, as well as a starter Pokemon), but nooo... I could see Ninetales as part Fairy-type, helping to distinguish it from the Fire/Psychic Delphox..

Fire/Grass! Been wanting this type combination since the original games haha. I think it would be SO cool to have and definitely the one I am rooting for most next gen :D

I know, right? I would love to see Smogon's Fire/Grass Pokemon Pyroak become an official Pokemon to finally manifest this type combination! ^^
    frontnormal-mpyroak.png

Surprised Electric/Dark hasn't been done yet - a lot of people mistook the Shinx line for that typing, anyway.

The Luxray line definitely should've been Electric/Dark; we have a good amount of pure Electric-type Pokemon as it is. Wasted opportunity... >:(

I could imagine the Fire/Poison typing to be a good starter, and, I desperately want a Bug/Dragon! Yanmega could become it if it gets a mega, just please Nintendo, give us a beefed up Bug.

Fire/Poison scorpion starter Pokemon FTW! :P I've wanted Bug/Dragon for the longest time, but it seems like (lately) we repeatedly get a Pokemon who could be this type combination but ends up not being it.Maybe a Mega Yanmega Mega Evolution someday...?
    Generation 3 - Flygon (Dragon/Ground who manages to Levitate)
    Generation 4 - Giratina (Dragon/Ghost), Yanmega (Bug/Flying)
    Generation 6 - Zygarde (Dragon/Ground...again)

Phantump, Trevenant, Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist exist. They have the same typing, though it's reversed. Doesn't make much of a difference either way.

Besides the rumored Fire/Water Volcanion, I'm looking forward to a Fire/Grass Pokemon, as other people already mentioned; I hope that Game Freak makes something like Smogon's Pyroak a reality.

Woo-hoo; another Pyroak supporter! {:3}

I'll forgive the lack of combinations using Normal or Psychic. What I am most displeased with is the lack of a Bug/Dark type! PLENTY OF BUGS ARE SCARY OR EVIL

Fire/Water should have happened in a funky gen like Hoenn. Hah. Now we just have some weird steam Pokemon.

LOL; the Fire/Water Volcanion would have been great debuting in Hoenn.. XD And yeah, Bug/Dark needs to exist as a Pokemon already.. >_> The Fakemon Naoie (although rumored/conceptualized as Dark/Steel) could work well in that mold, too, being a bug-ninja-samurai...thing. XD

Im not too mad about the lack of Normal/X pokemon, because it would kinda make it not normal right?

That's how I felt, too; I just hope that more Normal/elemental Pokemon are as offbeat as Bidoof and Bibarel are. :D

---
    So, yeah; wishlist being:
    Fire/Grass: Pyroak
    Grass/Dragon: Serperior
    Fire/Fairy: Ninetales?
    Dragon/Fighting: Fakemon Jakaroo - The Pokemon Garnet fangame had a boxing kangaroo named "Jakaroo"; I thought it would be very neat to implement a kangaroo as a 'dragon' (long-ish neck and tail; vaguely similar to Goodra's shaping) with this unused type combination, because it would just be unexpected and so jarring for some people. XD

I also want more Pokemon that are the Rotom types (as in, I think all Rotom forms should be elemental/Ghost rather than Electric/elemental, so I want other Pokemon to use up the Electric/elemental type combinations that Rotom currently uses).

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Plot twist: A spin-off of the games where all of the contradictory type match ups (Like the Normal/Ghost oxymoron mentioned above, Fire/Water and Fire/Grass, etc) are mashed together and turned into Pokemon that upset the balance so you need to catch them all. Maybe as a Pokemon Ranger?
    That's most likely to end up being the concept of the legendary monsters in a future main-series generation.

Back