• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Custom Characters?

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
  • I play a lot of RPGs that involve building your own character, like skyrim, fallout, ext. I'm the kinda guy that would start a new game, spending the first hour just building the character.

Anyway, what would your opinion be if Pokemon had you building your own character in the beginning, instead of just having the two prebuilt characters? Obviously you wouldn't have the level of detail in this as in a game like skyrim, but I just mean like: Hair, skin colour, certain facial features like eyes, ext. After that you could add stuff like clothing and such.

Also, seeing as each generation's two characters kinda serve as the face of that generation, do you think that would pose a problem?

EB

Re: World
    Years
  • Circadian Eyes - Rain

I probably wouldn't be eager to play them at all. Games like the Fallout series, Fable, and others, sure, but it just wouldn't be the right feel if put into a Pokémon game.

I'd also be pretty bummed not seeing a pair of faces for the generation, seeing as each one develops their own personality--it's a great gimmick. It would also be cumbersome making a manga series without said faces. O_o

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm fine with how Pokemon is. Part of what makes it special is predone players. And that would mess with the Pokemon Adventures manga if the player wasn't predone already, and possibly the anime if the in-game players get an appearance.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I have to agree with Sydian. Yeah, it's fun to make them up in your head an personalize it when you write a story, but when it comes to the game play, the pre-made characters make it unique. You're role-playing. Living a fantasy. It's supposed to be different from what you'd make.

EB

Re: World
    Years
  • Sonny Rollins - Paul's Pal

Part of what makes it special is predone players. And that would mess with the Pokemon Adventures manga if the player wasn't predone already, and possibly the anime if the in-game players get an appearance.

I'd also be pretty bummed not seeing a pair of faces for the generation, seeing as each one develops their own personality--it's a great gimmick. It would also be cumbersome making a manga series without said faces. O_o

I have to agree with Sydian.

LOL! I feel so loved. ._.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • LOL! I feel so loved. ._.

Heh. : P
    Don't worry buddy, I agree with you.

I've honestly been kind of scarred by character customization after playing certain YuGiOh games with character customization. *Shudder*
    I feel like if Nintendo were to try it, it would turn out like that.

Years
  • The problem with this is that to change, say, the shirt you'd essentially just be editing a couple of pixels. However, I do like the idea, and it might just be more viable when the franchise finally decides to migrate to the 3DS.

Role-playing isn't a factor, considering that the two main trainers have pratically zero characterization whatsoever. Game Freak's desire to treat the protagonists as "vehicles" controlled by the player rather than actual characters makes customization all the more viable. Nothing would really change, you'd still be role-playing the same way.

The importance of two main trainers? Make them the default characters and enforce this buy using them in the official artwork, anime, manga, merchandise, etc. There, problem solved.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Character customization is something I've always wished for in a Pokemon game. IMO, it's rather boring for every player character to look exactly the same.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I am in support of character customization, and I blame B/W. I found it very hard to enjoy playing that game because the character whose role I was supposed to play was dressed in a revealing, inappropriate, and borderline offensive fashion. In any RPG, I find it much harder to enjoy the game if I don't like the character whose role I'm supposed to be playing. And if B/W are any indication, they're straying away from the cute girl designs I've liked in the past and things are gonna get worse before they get better.

So I want customization. If only because then I can be pretty sure that the character I design is a character whose role I actually want to assume.

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
    Years
  • I would love custom characters! It always annoyed me in the previous games when I had to play someone that just looked ridiculous, like the male character in D/P (Pt was better :cer_smile:).

I think that if there is a gen VI (which there most likely be as long as Nintendo/Game Freak continues making a profit), that they should use 3D, customisable characters like those in Battle Revolution.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    You know they can just create two (or more) character presets and use those as the official 'face' of the games?

Mass Effect may let you completely customise your character, even the shape of their face -but they still use a specially-designed male (and now female too) character for promotional works. For all intents and purposes, the man on the box cover 'is' Commander Shepard.

Back