• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Custom gold/silver sprites

TehSquidly

. . .
Years
  • These are custom sprites I made based off of Ken Sugimori's art work, I'm hoping to eventually put these into a game. They all had the resolution requirement of 56 x 56, just like in Gold version, if you have ideas on how I can improve before I make the rest I'd appreciate it :D.

Last edited:

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Hmm... The ghastly sprite is extremely pleasing to the eyes. Really, I love it. I'm not sure about Wooper's pose, but other than that it's well done. Torkoal looks pretty well done within color limitations, though the white part of his back fools my eyes into thinking it's part of the smoke cloud. Perhaps it would look better if you used that... shading technique that I can't seem to remember the name of where you use colors every other pixel to visually blend them.

Lastly, something about the gyarados and aerodactyl bug me. I think it's the mouth for the gyarados and the wings for Aerodactyl. They both feel... a bit smaller than they should be. I'm not sure how one could even fix that. For Gyarados, perhaps a small vertical elongation of the mouth would help. For Aerodactyl, I'm not even sure. Perhaps a thickening of the visible wing on the upper arms?

TehSquidly

. . .
    Years
  • Hmm... The ghastly sprite is extremely pleasing to the eyes. Really, I love it. I'm not sure about Wooper's pose, but other than that it's well done. Torkoal looks pretty well done within color limitations, though the white part of his back fools my eyes into thinking it's part of the smoke cloud. Perhaps it would look better if you used that... shading technique that I can't seem to remember the name of where you use colors every other pixel to visually blend them.

Lastly, something about the gyarados and aerodactyl bug me. I think it's the mouth for the gyarados and the wings for Aerodactyl. They both feel... a bit smaller than they should be. I'm not sure how one could even fix that. For Gyarados, perhaps a small vertical elongation of the mouth would help. For Aerodactyl, I'm not even sure. Perhaps a thickening of the visible wing on the upper arms?
    Hey thanks :], I followed your advice and changed Aerodactyl's wing position and made the width of its mouth bigger, made Gyarados' mouth a little bit bigger, and dithered Torkals back. I also made Wooper smaller

Last edited:

Spycicle

Gentlemen.
    Years
  • They're all quite good, especially with G/S limitations, but that Wooper bugs me. I think it's too big for a Pokémon too small.

Years
  • I agree with Yellow - the Ghastly sprite looks amazing, good enough to be from G/S/C, even. I love it and give props to you for being such a talented sprite maker. <3

Your latest sprites are also very good, though something on the Wooper seems to be just a little bit off... I couldn't pinpoint exactly what was wrong but when I put your version next to the Gold sprite of Wooper it became a little more clear!

I think the body shape of your Wooper is a little different from what it normally is shown to be - their bodies usually slim down towards neck while yours just seems to be a similar width all around.

The smile also looks a little "artificial" if you will, being that perfectly straight. If you look at the other sprites of Wooper, you can see that when he smiles, his smile isn't straight and "tall" but usually like a wider, oval-like shape (Platinum & B/W sprites) that curves inwards towards the middle. I put them together so it's easier to see, using the Platinum sprite for comparison:

Either way, it's very good and I really like your sprites a lot. It's making me want to start spriting more! ^_^

TehSquidly

. . .
    Years
  • I agree with Yellow - the Ghastly sprite looks amazing, good enough to be from G/S/C, even. I love it and give props to you for being such a talented sprite maker. <3

Your latest sprites are also very good, though something on the Wooper seems to be just a little bit off... I couldn't pinpoint exactly what was wrong but when I put your version next to the Gold sprite of Wooper it became a little more clear!

I think the body shape of your Wooper is a little different from what it normally is shown to be - their bodies usually slim down towards neck while yours just seems to be a similar width all around.

The smile also looks a little "artificial" if you will, being that perfectly straight. If you look at the other sprites of Wooper, you can see that when he smiles, his smile isn't straight and "tall" but usually like a wider, oval-like shape (Platinum & B/W sprites) that curves inwards towards the middle. I put them together so it's easier to see, using the Platinum sprite for comparison:

Either way, it's very good and I really like your sprites a lot. It's making me want to start spriting more! ^_^

Woah, I really appreciate all of these compliments :D.

I think I have it this time.

Yup. XD
    I think your shading should be more correct to most Pokémon sprites though, as otherwise they'd look out of place a lot.

Next time I make a sprite, I'm going to keep multiple copies of the same Pokemon next to it, instead of just Ken's version haha :P.

Last edited:
    Years
  • That Wooper is looking much better! =D You're a very speedy worker, nice to see you updated it so quickly!

And it's definitely a good idea to keep different versions of the Pokemon sprite next to yours when you're working on it - helps you spot problems you may not have seen before. Do you know which sprite you plan on doing next?

TehSquidly

. . .
    Years
  • That Wooper is looking much better! =D You're a very speedy worker, nice to see you updated it so quickly!

And it's definitely a good idea to keep different versions of the Pokemon sprite next to yours when you're working on it - helps you spot problems you may not have seen before. Do you know which sprite you plan on doing next?

Well to be honest, I have a collection of devamped sprites that I randomly point at. This is the newest one I randomly picked. It was pretty tough, for me atleast.

Back