• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Cut

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Okay, so as I'm sure you're all aware Cut is HM01 in every game (including B2W2 as far as I'm aware), and in RSE it's the first HM you get. And while it's a semi-respectable move in-battle initially, it's past usefulness by the time you get to the move deleter :(
    It's main function out of battle is to chop down trees so you can get to an item, take a short-cut etc.
    However it can also be used to chop down tall grass (And by this I mean any grass where pokémon are found). My questions are:

1. Did you know about this 3rd usage?
    2. How did you find out?
    3. Do you utilise it often?

Personally I found out completely by accident, and actually forgot about it until 5 minutes ago - hence the timing of this thread. I rarely use it (I normally have a HM slave for Cut, anyway - I rarely use normal-types so it wouldn't even make a decent STAB), except for the gimmick of being able to clear a path up from Gabby and Ty's second battle spot right the way through to Lilycove City without encountering a single pokémon. It's way too time consuming to use while I'm actually trying to progress through the game though.

Years
    I actually made use of Cut to chop down the grass, notably on those routes with the really tall grass I absolutely hate walking through, especially in Emerald since it's easy to get lost in it. I feel kinda sad they took it out in later games, but I'm hoping they should re-implement it sometime.

At least it meant I didn't have to get ambushed by random encounters every single time.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I find out about it by accident at the first place that I could cut the grasses (even tall grasses). Since then I started to using Cut to clear them when I don't feel like countering wild Pokemon, even though it might take more time a bit. But it's kinda strange that they took this useful feature away in the later games.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I never knew that Cut could be used to cut down tall grass until I selected "Cut" randomly while I was standing on a grass patch.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    I was meant to select a Pokemon with Fly and I was going to fast so I accidentally chose Vileplume and made it Cut whilst standing in grass and voila! I don't use it often at all because a) I find no reason to cut down the grass when repels would work just as well and b) it's a time waster.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
    I only found on you could do this last night in my latest playthrough,
    it is kinda cool and now use it instead of repeals as it is cheaper.

Years
    I found this out only about a month ago when I accidentally selected Cut when I was trying to switch a Pokémon. I only used it a few more times after I found out and then I forgot about the special ability since I quit using my Oddish.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
    I had no idea cut could cut grass!
    That does sound pretty stupid, but I really wish I knew (I wasted my money on so many repels)

nitemate

Don't play Pokemon anymore ...
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 17, 2014
    I found that use in an FAQ. But I never used it as it's too much time consuming. I prefer to use Repel instead.

Ace.

Love Yourself
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2015
    Wait what, we can cut tall grass? :o Oh wow I never knew about this lol. It would sure be awesome to try it and cut down all the grass even though it'd grow back when you go back to that route lol. But I'd prefer to use repel rather than to cut down all the tall grass.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I found out by accident as well. Was standing in Petalburg Forest and was trying to fly away when I accidentally selected Cut and bam all this grass was gone. I was shocked to be honest but I'd rather buy repels then spend a load of time cutting down small patches of grass. It gets frustrating and repels come pretty cheaply anyway. Overall though its kinda cool just I didn't find myself using it that often, since I generally had a full party and only brought out HM slaves when I absolutely needed them. :p

Years
    I remember, the first time I knew about this, all I'd do is try to cut all the grass from that route and it was quite fun to be doing that over and over for some odd reason.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    I figured it out post game in ruby, the problem with it is that it takes for ever to get through long stretches of grass.

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2013
    I know about it, but i dont use it much offen. Or should i say that i only use it when i found out about it. After that i did not use it anymore.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I found the grass-cutting feature a cute Easter egg and nothing else. I just use repels as they are less tedious to use, although rather expensive.

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
    Years
    How in the world did I not know this? I can't believe I've played the 3rd Generation so much and never knew you could cut grass with it. I rarely use cut anyway, but it seems like something I would have discovered after spending hundreds of hours with the 3rd gen.

It seems like more of an easter egg sort of thing though. It's cool and useful, but a bit impractical. I'll stick with repels.

Paperhat545

The Pokémon Master
    Years
    I've known about using cut this way for a while, now. I've never really used it tat much. If I'm in a patch of grass with Pokémon around my level, I battle them. If they are much lower, I use a repel.

Years
    I could've swore there was an NPC at one point that tells you about this, but maybe I'm just confusing that with reading it somewhere online. Either way, apart from the first time I tried it out to clear the patch of grass on Route 18, I never used it. I always found repels were much less tedious, and even when I didn't have any, I could deal with a few wild Pokemon here and there. Still, I always love when they make little additions like this to the games.

Back