• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cutscenes

TY

I was wondering this after playing some RTS games...

Do you like cutscenes, do you watch them fully or skip them right away...
    Which cutscenes do you like the most, and which one do you hate...

Also, in which games do you prefer them and which not...

Years
  • I don't mind cut scenes at all, as long as they aren't over used.
    In moderation, they are fine. For me, Tales of Symphonia did it well. They had small cut scenes for small story parts, but full blown animated cut scenes when a big part of the story was unfolding.

Unlike MGS4 which had cut scenes like no tomorrow.​

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • I love how cutscenes are done in Red Alert 3, in fact I'm not sure if they're called so...probably cinematic describes it best. But it's still awesome how they turned things to real life. The acting is not really convincing, yet it's still a very nice touch to the game.

TY

I like the Tiberian Sun cutscenes a lot... when i played it for the first time i got scared of CABAL and the tiberian lifeforms...

My best cutscene was when the Mammoth MK II got ruined by 3 Banshee aircraft... it just made my day to see the "indestructible" go down by 3 simple aircraft...

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I like cutscenes, but I don't like them taking up game time. Interactive cutscenes are nice too. But yeah, if there are more cutscenes than gameplay, it might as well be a movie instead of a game. I like Final Fantasy 13, but it's pretty cutscene ridden. Can't play for 2 seconds without something happening. But once you get to a certain point in the game, it's just non-stop gameplay, so I wouldn't write it off as one of those "should be a movie" games.

Tales of the Abyss did well with the gameplay and cutscene balance I believe. Plus the skits are optional, so if you like cutscenes, even though these aren't cutscenes per se, you can see them if you'd like, or skip out entirely and not miss a major plot point. Yay!

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I used to love cutscene-heavy games but lately I find them kind of annoying. I like stories in games and I prefer ones where I can set the controller down and not have to do anything for a bit, but not when they happen every time I take 20 steps and not when they last 10 minutes each.

I think my favourite cutscenes to date have been the ones in Dragon Age II. It was really hard to go back to other RPGs after playing that earlier this year. Being able to skip every (voiced!) line of dialogue or skip entire scenes altogether up until a decision was great. And if I did decide to skip something that had action attached to it, usually they'd still do the action so I wouldn't skip a few lines and suddenly the characters are on the other side of the map talking to someone new. On that note, I like the Tales cutscenes a fair bit too because you can go as quickly or as slowly as you like through them. (They just need to implement that for skits in all the games too.)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I like cutscenes but yeah it really annoying when you take two steps out of one to then enter another (ala FF13/FF13-2).

I don't mind how long they are though, as long as something is happening :).

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I'm pretty apathetic towards cutscenes. As long as I have the ability to skip them I have no problem with them, but I rarely skip them unless I've played the game before or I'm trying to beat a certain part with a cutscene before it.

On my first playthrough of a game though I don't skip cutscenes. I want to know EVERYTHING that's happening, haha.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Skipskipskipskipskipskipskip...

Unless they're really well done or I care about the plot or what have you, I will furiously mash the 'skip' button so as to avoid it. If I have to watch them, I might just let them do their thing while I go to the toilet or get something from the fridge. I just really don't care about them, to be honest. And any game that has an abundance of cutscenes will have to be really good for me to get past my inherent bias.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Usually, if I'm playing the game for the first time, I always watch all the cutscenes, no matter how bad they might be. But after I'm done playing the game one time through, I usually end up skipping the scenes, unless it's one I remember and like. One that comes to mind is when Louis (Luis?) got killed by Saddler in Resident Evil 4. So sad. ;;

Years
  • I agree with what most people have said, first time play, second time skip.

This one I'll never skip though.

Spoiler:

I like little cutscenes to celebrate victories like in Civilization as well.

Years
  • I like either interactive or cinematic cutscenes (Bioware games are examples of this) and I'm watching a youtuber LP Uncharted 3, which seems pretty cutscene heavy, but I'm enjoying it (and I've never even looked at an uncharted before). The tales, Zelda and Paper Mario series has some of the more enjoyable cutscenes. More annoying then cutscenes ,for me at least, is the endless tutorials games give, Pokemon have got rid of the option to watch someone else catch a pokemon, and other games are just as bad, this is another area Bioware does well, making the first level easy enough you can expirement and not die, but still enjoyable. However this is a topic for another thread

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • It really depends on the game. Like, Metal Gear Solid series is full with cutscenes. I was pretty disappointed when I finished MGS3, as the cutscenes were longer than the actual gameplay. Not that I mind them of course, as MGS has a good story. I don't know what to think about FFXIII. There are lots of cutscenes, but it isn't really different from the older games. They just switched walls of text with cutscenes, and even made it better IMO. At least now you can skip it when you replay the game or lose a boss battle. But then again, I have nothing against walls of text if they are JRPG like.

I guess the only cutscenes I dislike are the ones you can't skip as it would kinda get boring after more playthroughs or during speed plays.

Genghoul

Composer & Aspiring ROM Hacker
    Years
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Oct 27, 2023
    I really just can't stand cutscenes if they're over 2 minutes long. I tend to lose interest (usually anyways) when I'm not actually playing the game. Interactive cutscenes, to me, have the right idea, but a lot of the time they aren't executed very well and they feel like a poor integration of story into gameplay. I think developers should really search for a good way to integrate story into games without disrupting the flow of things. I think, despite the obvious flaws with the story itself, Kid Icarus Uprising does a fantastic job with this because the story progresses on the touch screen while you play the game on the top screen. And although the game has cutscenes, they only last about a minute or 2 at the longest and are pretty engaging, and if you don't care for cutscenes you can skip them without losing too much story. I think games could benefit from using the less intrusive cutscene approach that Kid Icarus took.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2012
    Best Cutscenes

The best custscene is the one at the start of FF13.. LOL JK

Back