• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cyndaquil is overrated.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    I really think so. I want to punch the stupid thing in the face because of all his popularity.

I know the line is popular, but as soon as I joined this site, literally 95% of the people here seem to be OBSESSED over this stupid mole! I don't get it! I can see how he can be well liked, but I definetely, can't, at ALL see how it can be like the new... Ugh.

"Hey why don't you try using them before bashing them?" Yes, I TRIED using it, and guess what, it's ****ing USELESS! I have never kill a mon in a nuzrun and feel satisfied about it. When I got Flamous the Cyndaquil, he goddamn SUCKED. He couldn't ohko, he couldn't take hits, and he was nothing. But. Fast. I know it's just bad luck and he was Jolly, but meh.

I don't want to hate the Cyndaquil line, don't get me wrong. Back on my last forum, I used to really like them. I didn't really mind their popularity. But the thing is, the THING is, they are EVERYWHERE on this site! Why? I hate to be against mons for such reason, and I really don't want to be against the Cyndaquil line! But with its monstrous fandom here, I just can't not detest them.

In all honesty, the more Cyndaquil line fanboys I see, the less my interest in Pokémon. To put into perspective, I actually feel like QUITTING Pokémon because of Cyndaquil's fandom. It's ridiculous!

In all honesty, I feel the Cyndaquil line shouldn't exist. If they didn't exist, life would be so much easier. I can't imagine ever hating a gen2 poke, but the Cyndaquil has easily deserved it. They deserve to drown in the deep blue sea. Am I literally the only one who detests this stupid set of weirdoes?

So in short, I loathe Cyndaquil and his evos only because they are popular. Who else agrees? If you don't, then can anybody tell me why these idiots are so popular?

Years
    I bet you've been even more offended by the fact Cynda's line claimed the Fire-type title in last year's Favourite Pokemon Tournament, managing to knock Charizard out of contention for the first time in the event's history.

But I don't find Cyndaquil that overrated, especially compared to its Kanto counterpart. Cynda does happen to be my fave Johto starter and it did me well in my Soul Silver playthrough, being one of the rare times I didn't choose the Water starter.

Reactions: Sun

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
    Cynda is a great Pokemon, and deserves more love than the rest of the world gives it. It is popular here because it is cute, has a cool design, and... WELL ITS CUTE OK?

Really, it come down a lot to which starter people chose when they played the games. The Johto starters as a whole ended up a very different starter trio than Kanto or anything since. They all kept their single type through their entire evolution line. That said, no Johto starter was absurdly stronger than the other two a la Blaziken and Infernape, and no one had a way cooler design than the other two a la Greninja. Therefore, when a lot of people pick a Pokemon that isn't way cooler or way stronger than the others, the ones who don't find it unusual, feel left out, and start hating.

Now, why do people pick Cyndaquil? Meganium is a very cool pokemon, but it's terribleness ingame made people turn to the other two. Feralgatr was almost a little cheesy, being this big scary Croc that tried to be cute at the same time while having it's butt showing in half of the games. Typhlosion provided a nice middle ground. It also was the strongest against the Johto gyms, with no Rock, Ground, or Water gym to speak of. This gives people good ingame memories of it.

Compared to the other Fire starters, Typhlo is considered one of the weakest. Charizard is a bad-ass dragon, Blaziken is a Fighting Chicken, Infernape is a Fighting Monkey, Emboar is a big pig, and Delphox... uhhhh... anyway... Also, C-Zard, Blaziken, and Infernape were hugely OP in their respective generations. So why do people like the Johto starter? Typhlosion stands out among Fire type starters as the one that doesn't try to stand out at all. It is the only Fire type starter to maintain it's single type. It has the most straightforward movepool. It's not flashy, and the PC members like it.

Ash also had a Cyndaquil in the anime and it was cute as hell there. It won Ash at least two Johto gym battles in dramatic fashion.

If everyone on this forum were to rank every evolution line, the Typhlo line would probably have almost no lists where it appeared at #1. However, it might have one of the highest average rankings, because lots of people like it a good bit.

Years
    Heh... I kinda know what you mean. I was reading my old pool about Favorite Fire Starters.

Of course Cyndaquil had the most votes. It's cool, decent evolution line, nice moves on final evo, otherwise it's pretty... meh. Nothing more interesting for me here.

Years
    Well, I really like the way the entire Cyndaquil line looks--I think Cyndaquil looks adorable and the other two look badass. Other than that, I don't really like Cyndaquil's line either; I always go with Totodile because I just love that line--powerful and they all look awesome.

I haven't been on this forum long at all, so I can't really attest to Cynda's popularity here, but personally I can see why people do like it (it's pretty dang adorable) and why it's overrated. In terms of skill/ability, I would say Charmander line >>> Cyndaquil line.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    Really? I thought Cyndaquil was one of the least known Fire-type starters in the franchise, especially with Charmander and Torchic existing. Maybe the little thing needs some love?

It does look cute compared to most other starters, but it won't get any more popular until Typhlosion gets a Mega Evolution. I'm guessing Infernape has the same problem. They're not even used that much in the metagame!

Years
    I'm guessing Infernape has the same problem. They're not even used that much in the metagame!

Infernape is actually still used quite a lot competitively as far as standard play goes, given Blaziken is in Ubers. If any other Fire-type starter is doing as bad as Typhlosion, I'd say Delphox because it doesn't really have as impressive of a movepool as its Kalos starter brethren, and Emboar does do a bit better with its diverse movepool.

Years
    ...The SECOND I saw the title of the thread, I knew EXACTLY who it was made by. And I was right.

That said, I don't think Cyndaquil is the best starter in HGSS thanks to the physical/special split, but it's still pretty cool and it looks cute at least. I don't think it's underrated per se (unlike poor Emboar), but it's one of the lesser practical ones when it comes to competitive.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    You know what?

I've never seen Cyndaquil like being the favorite starter. I always thought it was Mudkip lol.

I was very surprised when I've seent hat Tylphlosion got the most votes for he favorite Pokemon. I was really surprised.

I don't really understand why he's loved so much because eyah I don't think it's the best starter too, in fact he's one I've got most difficulty to play with.

But I don't care, I love him. I always loved him and I will always do. I have a big nostalgic element with this evolution line. I am glad to see that I am not the only one now.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2017
    Eh I'll be honest Cyndaquil is one of my least favourite starters only above Emboar for being my last favourite fire starter but I wouldn't say it's overrated to the point where it needs an entire thread about it, hell I was surprised as hell when it won the fire type vote so while I really don't like it, it's not this overrated.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Dang, Cyndaquil is not my favorite but I don't hate the little guy. I like him better than Chikorita, but I like Totodile the most. I wasn't super impressed with Cyndaquil's final evolution and thought he was actually a pretty weak Pokemon. Whenever I have the choice to pick a gen. 2 starter I'll normally go with Totodile even though I like fire types more than water.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
    I'm not sure if people like Cyndaquil that much or if people just didn't want Charizard to win again :P I like the Cyndaquil line the most of the Johto starters but Totodile takes a close second, and it's not like John has my favorite starters of all time. But I don't see it all over this site haha.

Years
    I'm not sure if people like Cyndaquil that much or if people just didn't want Charizard to win again

It makes me wonder, given Cyndaquil's line defeated Charmander in the Fire-type round in the 2015 FPT polls, and Charizard ended up losing to Lugia in the Flying-type round. Maybe I guess there were less Charizard fans and more Typhlosion fans, causing one of the biggest upsets in the event's history.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I feel like Cyndaquil is cool, but Totodile always overshadowed it for me personally as the second gen starter. It's a freaking alligator monster, and that's why cooler than a fire mole, even if it is a cute fire mole

Years
    While Totodile is cool, the one thing to remember is that the Fire-type starters tend to be popular because they are known as the "badass" type... except for Fennekin maybe, since it's more of a majestic type. Grass-types tend to be the least popular.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
    Cyndaquil is indeed overrated, but I don't hate the guy (I don't even hate Chikorita for that matter... the only Pokemon I TRULY hate is Arceus...). Here's the problem, Totodile is better in all aspects. Totodile is more enjoyable, he's cuter and he has a more badass look. Feraligatr is viable in OU, he has better bulk, a better movepool, and actually good attack options. Typloshion only has Eruption and it's not enough to keep it from being outclassed.

In-game you're gonna have trouble at early-game without Cyndaquil, but after Whitney Croconaw really does the job better especially since he also gets Ice Fang and Bite. Then in later parts of the game you get your Feraligatr and with Swords Dance he can rip apart a ton of teams. I generally don't pick the water starter, but Feraligatr was actually done right. That's not to say that I don't like Typloshion or Meganium, though. I've done runs with all 3 starters.

Delirious Absol

Call me Del
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    I do really like Typhlosion, but I can understand getting sick of a Pokemon due to seeing it too much. I've had mini-rants myself, and yours is not entirely dissimilar to the one I had about the competitive scene (the difference being it made me more adamant to play more and try and turn the tables on all the overused 'mons. I didn't have much success, but it was very satisfying watching a Braviary OHKO a Heatran with superpower... Very satisfying!)

There are some Pokemon I get tired of outside of the competitive scene. I can't say I strongly dislike Charizard or Mewtwo, but I do think there are more out there that are more deserving of popularity XD everyone has their favourites though. I'll admit Typhlosion is my favourite fire starter (in my opinion, it's one of few that stay cute throughout it's evolution line) but it has its flaws.

Years
    I think charmander is overrated personal opinion since the pokemon games decided to give him 2 mega forms x and y and i think only mewtwo had 2 forms but mewtwo is a legendary and charmander isn't. Well in johto world cyndaquil maybe overrated since it learns eruption an incredibly powerful move that very few pokemon can learn (i think groudon and him only correct me if i'm mistaken) while the others stay with solarbeam and hydro pump respectively (hydro cannon,frenzy plant are excluded because they are not normally only via special tutoring). Hope it helps will be glad to listen to more opinions :)

Back