• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen D/P/Pt Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I finally continued a bit today. My last save was somewhere between the daycare village and Vilestone. I got the the latter, beat Maylene and saved this idiot that the professor's assistant is from Team Galactic. Saved on the way to Pastoria. Not sure if I'll get Croagunk or not yet.
    Team did not change much (it's still Monferno, Machoke and Meditite, funny how all of them start with M), but all are in their low 30s now.

BenEary

Little Rabbit
    Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2010
    Hmm, no one's taken normal yet... I'll do it. This should be fun, and easier than when I did a grass-only runthrough.

Sudeki

Can you feel it?
    Years
  • This seems like fun, But can anyone help me on some details first, so this is how I think it works, you pick a type, and then start a new game, and only use that singular type of pokemon through the game for your team? :o And I guess I wouldn't be able to do this the way I would like, as I would have no way to obtain pokemon other than catching or, The impossible GTS. :/

Last edited:

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
  • i'm joining!!! I will play Pearl with fire pokemon, my team will be Charizard, Thyplosion, Blaziken, Infernape and the other 2 are gonna be my HM slaves. It's that ok?

Sudeki

Can you feel it?
    Years
  • I wan't to do this, but it seems like the people with the information arent around >_<(Still need my questions awsered)

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2010
    Ok started my Psychic team
    Chose Chimchar to start (for Taunt to make catching an Abra easier) and made my way up to Jublife
    Caught Abra and started training to 16, Abra evolved
    Destroyed Roark with Kadabra
    Made my way to Eterna City with Kadabra and caught Meditite, and started training
    Beat Gardenia

Current team:

Kadabra Lvl 29
    - Reflect
    - Psybeam
    - Confusion
    - Disable

Meditite Lvl 24
    - Rock Smash
    - Meditate
    - Hidden Power (steel)
    - Detect

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Wow, I'm really surprised I haven't signed up for this one yet.

I'm doing water on Pearl. I'll start as soon as I get my team worked out. Done, and starting now.

Edit: -sigh- no water type can learn a fire move pre-national dex other than the banned palkia.

@Sudeki

Yeah, you pick a type, play through diamond, pearl, or platinum with only that type (dual types like infernape count towards both fire and fighting), and beat the elite four. You are allowed some HM slaves (because some types like fire don't have any avaliable Pokemon to learn some HM's like waterfall), but you aren't allowed to use these HM slaves in battles. You can use them in wild pokemon battles if you need to evolve them (like if you want a bibarel for surf, but bidoof can't learn surf). You are not allowed to use legendaries that fall under your type. You also have to have at least one Pokemon that is your type before you enter the Eterna Forest. Just use your starter until you get at least one Pokemon of your type.

Some challenges that I've done have allowed you to trade over like eggs of the type you're using, but I don't believe this is one of them. Just try to catch all the Pokemon in the wild, because it makes it more challenging and fun in my opinion.

For example, my water team is going to be Empoleon, Bibarel, Bibarel, Floatzel, Bibarel, and Starly. I plan on making the Starly learn fly and defog, and when I beat the game, he'll be still at like level 3. One of my bibarels that I'm not actually using in my team will learn Rock Smash, Cut, Strength, and Rock Climb. Empoleon and one Specbarel will learn surf, and Floatzel and Physbarel will learn waterfall (one bibarel is only going to learn physical moves, and the other is only going to know special moves, hence the names). All of these pokemon can be caught in the wild, and I won't need to trade to get any of them.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    I will take up Fighting MonoType at Pt (Please sign me up :) )

Game Log

- Pick up Chimchar as my starter @ Sandgem Town
    - Capture HeraCross @ Route 203
    - Reach Oreburgh City & Evolve Chimchar to Monferno
    - Beat Roark

Current Team as followed :-

Monferno Lv 14

- Return
    - Mach Punch
    - Ember
    - Taunt

Heracross Lv 12
    - Tackle
    - Leer
    - Horn Attack
    - Fury Attack

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2023
    I think I'll do this and choose Ground for Platinum. I'm in a full series monotype run for Flying but it's getting kind of boring. But I have a question that I'm not 100% sure about even by looking at past posts: If I want to use Torterra and Gastrodon on my team, can I use Turtwig and Shellos in battle, even though they aren't Ground, to evolve them eventually?

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    Updating my IN-Game Log

Game Log II

- Pick up Chimchar as my starter @ Sandgem Town
    - Capture HeraCross @ Route 203
    - Reach Oreburgh City & Evolve Chimchar to Monferno
    - Beat
    Roark (1st Badge)
    -
    Capture Machop @ North of Oreburgh City
    - Rushed through Route 204 & Reached Floaroma Town
    -
    Clear Team G - Valley Windworks Incident
    - Spend some time training Machop @ Eterna Forest
    -
    Reach Eterna Forest
    -
    Beat Roselia & Collected Forest Badge
    - Clear Team G - Eterna City Incident

Machop Lv 26
    (Fighting)
    - Low Kick
    - Karate Chop
    - Seismic Throw
    - Vital Throw

Heracross Lv 25
    (Bug/Fighting)
    - Brick Break
    - Aerial Ace
    - Horn Attack
    - Counter

Monferno Lv 28
    (Fire/Fighting)
    - Return
    - Mach Punch
    - Flame Wheel
    - Taunt

Decodedd

Number One Rookie !
    Years
  • Sign me up !;D

Version - Platinum .
    Type - Fire !

Game Loggy Thingy .

- Pick up my Chimchar .
    - grindgrindgrindgrindgrindgrind.....grind .
    - I reach Oreburgh City & Evolve Chimchar to Monferno [:
    - Me&Monferno OBVIOUSLY beat Roark !

Monferno Lv 17

- Scratch
    - Mach Punch
    - Ember
    - Taunt

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2023
    musesum, you can use Shellos and Turtwig anywhere you want.

Awesome, thanks! Alright, here's what I've done so far:

-Got Turtwig as Starter
    -Caught Bidoof and Starly as future HM slaves
    -Caught Geodude
    -Caught Onix (most likely won't train it in favor of Geodude)
    -Beat Roark and got the Coal Badge, with Turtwig evolving afterwards

My Team:

Turtle (Grotle) - Lv18
    D/P/Pt Monotype Challenge

Tackle
    Withdraw
    Absorb
    Razor Leaf

Boulder (Geodude) - Lv11
    D/P/Pt Monotype Challenge

Tackle
    Defense Curl