• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen D/P Starters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
    *throws a dramatic tantrum* darn it!!! I was looking forward to the fighting/dark/psychic starters!!! like I say all the time to people: Nintendo is too afraid to do something original to thier franchises, I want to see something unique, Nintendo!!!!!

Flamman

still n00b, working on it!
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2018
    dude, you van safely say that the penguin will become water/ice in his evolutions, i think/guess the grass one will become bug as 2nd type, and the monkey will stay pure, or get fighting, that is what i think with their shapes and looks in mind.

and i raise my hand! the grass types speed WILL suck, one: most grass types have almost no speed, and ever saw a tortoise run?

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
    roadkirby said:
    Light_Azumarill u spelt the water starter wrong so i edited check this site out https://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/pokemon.shtml

Yeah, I realized that the other day. I kept meaning to edit, but PC keeps going in and out. ^^; I sometimes forget about whether a "chi" plus "ya" is read as "chya" or "cha". =/ Thanks anyway though!

Why on Earth would Naetoru's second type be bug? Since when are tortoises and bugs similar? XD

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
    Crystal Clair said:
    beats up and kills SkinnyGreenMan and Ichapokemr.
    That's my idea!
    Heh, no it's okay, now that we've got the starters officially
    I like both the monkey and the penguine. And for my starter, I'm picking the penguine.
    So now my Pokemon game starter pattern moves up a generation:
    RBY: Water
    GSC: Grass
    RSE: Fire
    DP?: Water
    Freaky how some things just work out.

hey, i was thinking the same thing! i have those same faves for the generations... i can't wait to kick butt with the penguin...

ALSO, the grass type is not a turtle everyone. it's a beetle (i'm not sure which type of beetle has a shell quite like that, but i'm sure there are some... i think *shrug*). if it were a turtle, the shell would cover it's whole torso area, unlike it.

Vampire://Krimm

→ clocks everywhere →
    Years
    lol, strange. I have to choose Pochamma. But then again, I might Choose Naetle. Thier all so Cute

The Fire starter looks scary. the eyes are so...evil disguised or something

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Horrible decision on GFs part. Here they have a prime opportunity to take the game in a new direction, and what do they do? Grass, Fire, and Water starters. Wow, this is a BRAND NEW direction! I bet that the game will try something totally new like having to travel from town to town and collect these badges from gym leaders with horribly constructed teams of one type, and then there would be a side quest of some sort that would include a LEGENDARY Poke, and then finally once you have all eight of these badges, you have to travel through this long road and battle trainers and Pokes and solve a few puzzles, until finally you have made it to this brand new area where you battle a collection of four trainers that call themselves the ELITE FOUR!!! No wait, after that you would then face off against this "CHAMPION" who really has no business being champion with the team that they have, and then once you defeat them then YOU become champion and you and your Pokes are entered into this cool thing called the Hall of Fame, and then the credits roll and you end up back at your home, and then when you go back to the ELITE FOUR they magically believe that they haven't battled you ever before and you have to try to become champion again, only to not be recognized again. I must commend GF on their ability to be on the cutting edge of brand new ideas for 10 year old product.

In all seriousness though, it will be interesting to see if GF will actually cater to the fans and give them what they want, or if they will continue to cater to the almightly dollar and put out the exact same basic product with a few new tidbits thrown in, knowing that fans are going to end up buying it anyway. So far it doesn't look promising from where I stand.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
    shanecdavis said:
    Horrible decision on GFs part. Here they have a prime opportunity to take the game in a new direction, and what do they do? Grass, Fire, and Water starters. Wow, this is a BRAND NEW direction! I bet that the game will try something totally new like having to travel from town to town and collect these badges from gym leaders with horribly constructed teams of one type, and then there would be a side quest of some sort that would include a LEGENDARY Poke, and then finally once you have all eight of these badges, you have to travel through this long road and battle trainers and Pokes and solve a few puzzles, until finally you have made it to this brand new area where you battle a collection of four trainers that call themselves the ELITE FOUR!!! No wait, after that you would then face off against this "CHAMPION" who really has no business being champion with the team that they have, and then once you defeat them then YOU become champion and you and your Pokes are entered into this cool thing called the Hall of Fame, and then the credits roll and you end up back at your home, and then when you go back to the ELITE FOUR they magically believe that they haven't battled you ever before and you have to try to become champion again, only to not be recognized again. I must commend GF on their ability to be on the cutting edge of brand new ideas for 10 year old product.

In all seriousness though, it will be interesting to see if GF will actually cater to the fans and give them what they want, or if they will continue to cater to the almightly dollar and put out the exact same basic product with a few new tidbits thrown in, knowing that fans are going to end up buying it anyway. So far it doesn't look promising from where I stand.

lol... what's funnier is that even though that may be true, people will still purchase these games (and by people, i'm quite sure i mean me :D).

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    shanecdavis said:
    That sounds about right. They know there are older fans, but we aren't the target audience and we're not the ones that they're trying to please. Plus, the rumored other starter circle would have thrown things off too much, way too unbalanced.

Though I am hoping for something a little different, don't really think we'll get anything though. But hell, I know I'll eventually buy it, no matter how damn close it is to the other games.

Vampire://Krimm

→ clocks everywhere →
    Years
    Samson said:
    lol... what's funnier is that even though that may be true, people will still purchase these games (and by people, i'm quite sure i mean me :D).

Oddly True! But hey, They have Contests! Haha! >_> Not helping

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
    Good point shanecdavis, but I think that some people think it a tradition to have fire, grass and water pokemon at the start and the Elite 4 at the end. Those sorts of things I don't think really matter in the long run. You'll still be able to catch a dark pokemon sometime and replace your starter with it if you so desire. If you really want to complain about something the Pokemon gameboy games don't do well then complain about the storyline. For an RPG, the games really don't have a very in-depth storyline. It's pretty much just you wandering around challenging people to battles. It would add a ton of depth to the games if they put in tasks to complete (not the small amount they have now but more), and had the evil organizations of the games play a bigger role.

I personally liked the idea of P/D/F starters, as already stated, I thought it was different and had interesting potential.

Oh, has anyone posted the anime poster with the three starters on it? I thought that Hikozaru was especially cute on it (much cuter than it Sugimori pic):

D/P Starters!

I know it's for the anime, but it still shows the three starters. ^^;

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2008
    Naetoru is the best. x3 I am totally getting it on Diamond as my starter.

Although I'm probably going to end up with all the starters anyways... o.o;

And Hikozaru does look cuter in that poster than in the Sugimori artwork, but I still like the Sugimori picture better.

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
    Pochama just > all. I suspect its final evolution is going to be some Water/Ice-type weird hybrid between a macaroni, rockhopper and emperor though. *sigh*

Xylitol

*Insert pun here*
    Years
    Yay! Penguins! Finally a water starter that's my fave out of the three! Cuute! ^.^

Tw1tch

Amateur Dragon Breeder
    Years
    I like penguins, but the monkey looks like it has a flaming wad of poo ready for the flinging (YAY immature comment of the day!)

Seriously, I'm torn between the penguin and the monkey. Also, I hope it doesn't take forever for the one I want to learn worthwile moves. What was unfair in R/S was that I picked Treeko and it didn't learn any good moves untill AFTER the third gym. What was truly ironic was that the evos of the water and fire starters had more of an advantage in an Electric gym than the grass starter! I DON'T WANT ANYTHING LIKE THAT TO HAPPEN AGAIN! I'm hoping I pick the right one!

Lil-Dill

I need to change that ^
    Years
    Im picking the Penguin starter fo sure because its moderate to lvl up! I dunt want the munkey on fire cause its to easy or I dunt want Naetoru cause its hard 2 evolve!

Wally4eva

Intermediate Webmaster
    Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2017
    i like the grass turtle but i always start with the fire poke first time round so its the monkey for me xD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back