• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen D/P: Worst Generation Ever?

ShadowTails

I'm working on a better Avatar
Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 7, 2015
    Saying 4th Gen is bad and "They should've just remade Gold and Silver" just shows how biased you are. There are Pokemon from every Generation I don't like, for example, I hate Pinsir, Dunsparce, some other Pokemon like Spinda, and 4th gen has some Pokemon I think are cool (Weavile) and others I think are stupid (Bibarel). It's all personal tastes. Besides, after seeing some of the fakémon here I'd say you have no right to complain.

Houndoom666

I like mah teem rite nowz. ^.^
    Years
  • Nah. I think the worst is the Hoehn gen. Its only really good for Rayquaza, Deoxys, Kyogre and groudon. lolz

Empelt526

Never underestimate Aqua Jet.
    Years
  • I actually liked the 4th gen. The E4 was waay harder. The starters where creative to me( 'cept infernape). GTS is wonderful. The most convinient things were the migration system and being able to trade and battle with other language games! but waaay to many legendaries.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    For your information, it was possible to trade/battle with different-language versions of the game in previous generations, too.

Last edited:

Aikochan

Sexy Trainer Aiko
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2008
    Yes it was possible but for the gameboy you needed to live 2 doors down the gba still needed still needed a link cable but this is the first one where you can get online and battle quickly and have fun in different languages.

Years
  • I think this has to be my Favorite Generation the only thing i did not like was Team Galatic they were boring and weak the strongest teams were Aqua and Magma but team Galatic were horrible were we suppose to be scared of a Lv 30 wurple or something i used weak pokemon to beat them but other than team galactic i give the game 2 thums up and if you hate it so much why play it

Years
  • And if I wanna play online, I'll just go play netbattle, where I don't have to level up so much, and there's no D/P Pokemon.

"I'll just go play netbattle, where I can fake everything and don't have to worry about the trivialities of actually thinking about things and having something to show for."

Seriously.. NetBattle + ShoddyBattle are so obsolete now that there's an actual way for you to show your skills by actually raising the Pokémon.

NetBattle's just an easy way out for lazy people who want to own you but don't want to put forth the effot to actually *GASP* raise the Pokémon, the main point of the game..

And I honestly thought 3rd gen was the worst: Ruby and Sapphire was the crappiest delivery of storyline (we were practically looking at a graphical overdrive of Red and Blue all over again after being treated to awesome things in Gold and Silver), and the Pokémon all sucked.. aside from the legendaries, which were mediocre at best.

.Socks

free yourself
    Years
  • D/P isn't THAT bad. Yeah, some of the pokemon had some pretty crappy design, but jeez, what generation hasn't had a few wonky pokemon?

If you despise the game so much, sell it. It's not like you're required to be amidst the fandom or anything.

wert5679

Returning Trainer
    Years
  • The 4th gen is actually really good. The Wi fi and underground are top dog over most wi fi games. The only thing was bad was the music. The only few that didnt suck was team galactic grunts and admins music. R/S/E's music is better than the rest of the music in Diamond and Pearl.

and the new pokemon DID NOT SUCK. Lucario,Darkrai,Heatran and more if were properly trained could take down team after team after team.
    Its also why I almost never leave a pokecenter without my Lucario (thats also why its in my sig.) dude you dis the new pokemon but one could ether save your team or distroy it if it's on the opposing trainers team.

oh and if you hate it so much why dont you go back to playing R/B/Y or G/S/C????

Last edited:

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • "I'll just go play netbattle, where I can fake everything and don't have to worry about the trivialities of actually thinking about things and having something to show for."

Seriously.. NetBattle + ShoddyBattle are so obsolete now that there's an actual way for you to show your skills by actually raising the Pokémon.

NetBattle's just an easy way out for lazy people who want to own you but don't want to put forth the effot to actually *GASP* raise the Pokémon, the main point of the game..

And I honestly thought 3rd gen was the worst: Ruby and Sapphire was the crappiest delivery of storyline (we were practically looking at a graphical overdrive of Red and Blue all over again after being treated to awesome things in Gold and Silver), and the Pokémon all sucked.. aside from the legendaries, which were mediocre at best.

There are so many things wrong in this post that I wouldn't know where to begin.

Years
  • The worst... well, that's a bit too hard. But I have to say that there's something right about that. I think the first two gens were the best but when Ruby and Sapphire were released there was something "missing". I dunno how I could say this. Pokémon hasn't been the same since generation 3. But actually I don't think R/S were bad. I just like the first two gens more. Now back to D/P. I was so glad when I got my Diamond last year and it was a lot of fun after I had finished the story. Cause the story is obviously the worst thing about D/P. (At least I think so.) And also the new Pokémon are very... unusual and strange. They just don't look like Pokes anymore in my opinion. The only thing why I think D/P aren't the worst is the WFC. I had lots of fun with it, especially because I finally could get Pokémon I hadn't had before. (Like Celebi and Deoxys).
    But in the end... I must say that Pokémon gets worse and worse. I hope they'll stop creating new monsters and just let Pokémon be a good game as it was once ago.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • In order of likeness, for me, it goes:

1: Gold/Silver/Crystal
    2: Diamond/Pearl(/Platinum)
    3: Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
    =: Red/Blue/Yellow

GSC brought about the first time (granted, they had only done two generations to start with) and the only time you could actually go to more than just the designated Region the game was based upon. That was something I really liked it for and hoped to see in the next generations, as well.

GSC was also, until D/P came, the only other generation to have any form of Eevee evolution within its "new" ranks, and even brought daytime and night time to accommodate nocturnal and diurnal Pokemon types, such as Hoothoot and Pidgey, respectively. (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Pidgey didn't turn up at night)

It also brought about Day Care, which allowed you to breed Pokemon; in some occasions, to acquire a "baby" Pokemon, such as Pichu and Cleffa, while in others, just to get another Pokemon of the same species. This would also be the only Generation where you can talk to your Pokemon, while they're in the Day Care; others have cordoned off sections, where identifying your Pokemon is pretty much impossible.

D/P brought some good themes and two new Eevee evolutions. It put a new perspective on things, and made the game brilliant with concepts quite similar to PokeGear and PokeNav of Gen 2 and Gen 3, respectively. Although the Poketch didn't allow you to make calls, like the PokeGear and PokeNav (latter only in Emerald) did, it didn't really matter, because it had and gained very helpful apps for people to use, as they play the games; such as a clock and a Day Care Checker.

It also brought back day and night; the physical presence of day and night, which R/S/E feigned on, by only having clocks; even at night, it seemed to be midday, on R/S/E.. one major problem with D/P is that there are only two Fire types, and one of them isn't that amazing; it was effectively Nintendo saying "Use Chimchar, or go through the game without a Fire type." It also brought back my liking for Water type starters, from RSE's failed attempt at keeping me with them.

RBY were the first Pokemon games released on Ninntendo's hand held, and it was a great way to bring it in. Looking back at the games gives you that nostalgic feeling, and for its time, it was a great game; not to mention the only one we really had, until Stadium came into the works.

Anyways, RSE are down in (joint) third because it was the weakest Generation, for me. sure, they had some good things in it, like the PokeNav and brought about Contests for the first time, ever, but it had a few personal weak qualities, from the start.

One was that I actually preferred the Fire type, over the Water type, in starters, which hadn't happened through the first two Generations (meaning I hate Mudkipz. Yes I do. =] ) and the second was that it was a more water-based region, which put a downer on the Fire type, because it really limited how you could fight. -Before you quote the above written, please do remember they are personal qualities that I found to be weak. If you don't agree, that's fine; just don't flip out about them.- One good thing is Gen 3 brought another set of dragons for the currently smaller base of dragons, from the first two Generations, bringing three Legendary Dragons and a band of non-Legendary dragons, including the likes of Altaria and Salamence.

I'll not say I didn't enjoy RSE, because I did, but it does stand as one of the weakest Generations, in my opinion.

BattleBeastEXP

Competitive Double Battler
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Jun 20, 2009
    I kinda get what you are saying, but I think D/P is great. They could've made it a lot better, a better region, more variety of Pokemon, better names. But I love the new graphics they've added (The whole 3-D perspective). Also, be thankful we have another one, whoever plays the series, doesn't want it to end.

blueguy

No capitalization required. ;D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 20, 2013
    D/P are a close second to G/S in my book. I was so unimpressed with R/S.

Years
  • I'll admit, I was excited about R/S when they first came out but I was mainly held over until Fire Red and Leaf Green. But the best IMO would be G/S/C due to the fact that you weren't stuck in one region.

But they picked up with the Battle zone areas. Gave me something else to do.

Plus WiFi was a big selling point for me in D/P due to the fact that my cousin, friend and myself could finally battle and trade without being near each other or being limited to the reach of the trade cable (up to 5 ft).

My only concern with WiFi is people using devices such as an AR to cheat and have max stats to whipe the floor with people. The only cheat, I've ever used was the masterball cheat so I didn't have to spend hours trying to catch a legendary when I'm supposed to be in a hurry (I'm a speed player, I once beat Red in under 2 1/2 hours). I just want them all lol.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
  • Seriously. The battle engine sucks, you almost always get the effects from statuses (full paralyze, hurt in confusion), and NONE OF THE NEW POKEMON ARE ANY GOOD. Thay're running out of ideas. They should have made a G/S/C remake and said "We're done. Let's go make another good series, before this one overstays it's welcome!"
    But no. They just had to make one more game, and it was terrible. And, if you're left handed you practically need three hands to play ideally (using stylus, etc). And, you level up too fast. I only train one pokemon for the one player, and mine quit obeying me. Solution: Train another something. But I don't like to. Makes you weaker. But, hey, makes a too easy game a little harder! I'll bet if I trained a few of em, it would make the game hard enough! Prove me wrong. Or can you?

Bah. This is more emo whining. Seriously. You are giving half arsed reasons as to why you hate the game.

I am left handed, and have no problem using the stylus, AND using controls. Stimulatiously, at times. And you don't need to do that. You can either use the stylus, or use the controls.

All of these points can be said about all other games, and are explained in the manual, for crap's sake. Here's a fact: Whenn you get a traded poke, they level up faster, but will soon disobey. However, I have found that pokes did indeed lvl up a tad faster, meaning a lot less repetition on my end.

As for status, IT HAS BEEN LIKE THAT ON ALL GAMES! Just cause you had horrible luck, doesn't mean you "always" get the effect. Your luck just fustrates you.

Personally, they were right not to make another G/S/C game. Too many remakes as is. I was pissed to play LeafGreen, as it was just a remake. Didn't waste my cash on it.

Not liking the pokes? Well, that's actually a valid opinion, from a non competitive standard (aimed at airconditioning, more or less).

All your reasons sounds like blabber to me, whining and complaining about things explained in the book.

As for me, my major complaint was the storyline. I loved Crystal because of that wonderful storyline. Wish it was explored better.

Deoxys55

Deoxys Collector
    Years
  • Just to throw my two cents in (like it's needed =P), I actually like the set-up of the stylus and buttons for left-handed playing. It makes more of a difference in Ranger, but even in D/P, it lets me use the stylus with my more dexterous left hand and do the simple button movements with my right.

Also, since everyone else is proclaiming their own opinions, I must say I have a soft spot for R/S. 'Twas my first Pokemon game, so I'm probably a bit biased, but it wasn't that bad at all. I like a lot of the Pokemon from that generation.

And I must agree with sims796: Crystal had a great plot compared to the other games. D/P does, I admit, fall sadly short in that matter.

Ryuzaki_Lawliet

Arctic Fox Lover =3
    Years
  • See, I haven't posted in this yet so I guess I'll start from the beginning.

DP isn't that bad, although Bidoof and others did have me unimpressed, but with improvements like Luxray? And Magnezone? I personally adore.

I mean, R/S is the worst but I play that. DP is pretty bad but I still adore it nomatter what other people think.

Like someone else said. If you don't want it, sell it, and move on with your life.

Mystery2009

The Legacy Begins Now
    Years
  • meh the worst. hardly. this generation was the first to introduce wifi competitive battling whearas you would most likely in the previous generation beat the game and quit playing. this generation was a reason for us to pick up our old games and make better use of them. thats what i like about GF and nintendo, they arent always out to just make money(such as the design of the game card, not easy to break like that of playstation and other systems). This generation also offers some very good pokemon with nice abilitys that add to competive battling. I mean seriously how many months has it been and how many people still actively play this game compared to that of previous generations. In my opinon this generation was a great leap forward(even though nintendo always makes us by at least two seperate games per generation ex* red blue-yellow silver gold-crystal ruby sapphire-emerald diamond pearl-platinum.....a bit more than a example but w/e). however i will agree that nintendo needs to stop "kidding" around and make silver and gold remake WE SPEND TOO MUCH TIME PLAYING THIS NOT TO HAVE A REMAKE OF THE BEST GAMING SERIES. i can imagine the longevity of going through two regions and how long it will last so i really hope it is nintendos intention to make us wait for that series remake and go out with a bang.

SERIOUSLY, NINTENDO YOU GUYS NEED TO REMAKE THAT SERIES IM TIRED OF WAITING YOU JERKS.

Back