• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen D/P: Worst Generation Ever?

zackattack7778

The Zack Attacker!
Years
  • Honestly, I think in terms of replay after the elite four, D/P didn't really do it for me....I preferred Ruby and Sapphire....but I do like all the new capabilities of D/P so I guess it all evens out!

I was however, VERY VERY pleased with the details, graphics, and story line of D/P! Overall, I would have to put D/P up at the top of my list, followed by Gold and Silver, Ruby and Sapphire, and then Red and Blue.

Aikochan

Sexy Trainer Aiko
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2008
    I wish to further my opinion about the remakes. Yes a remake of red and blue was much needed. But you know what i wanna see. I wanna see not a remake of gold/sliver/crystal I want to see them give us a game similar but with more the diamond/pearl pokemon on it. Yes I loved those games and they were great. But I would much prefer a more modern theme with some of the great carry overs like a the in depth story the challenging puzzles and the ability to maybe travel to 3 regions to catch different kinds of pokemon. I have been neglectful of my opinion because while I love that generation Well I would prefer to be in a more modern setting like Pearl or Diamond era. Make it so we can catch a mix of old and new legendaries instead of these are absolutely exclusive. I am not saying all but just some. I would like be able to catch a mewtwo, and A lugia. Or maybe a Lugia and one the r/s/e legendaries.

UGAtyler07

Banned
    Years
  • Ok WOW. i hate to be mean to people, but WOW. Man, i am really about to rant here so hold on. Alright, to start off, i have to say you have been pretty much OWNED by previous posts! Anyways, you say the pokemon suck. Let me introduce you to a list of pokemon that will be GLAD to smack you in the face. Garchomp, Froslass, Weavile, Dusknoir, Electivire, Gallade, Rhyperior, Infernape, Lucario, Yanmega, pretty much ALL legendaries. Yeah, they are wishing they were real and could slap your but back to pokemon Red and Blue. Also, if you would at least try to find some credible info, you would see that the effect percentage of moves that cause paralysis are EXACTLY the same. Its basically luck. Its kinda like how some people encounter alot of shinies and how someone can go through the game 20 times and never find a single one. And stop whining. If you want an evolution of pokemon like pisir, or qwillfish, write to Nintendo you lazy jerk. Or make your own game, i really dont care. You know what, i like Airconditioning's idea. Screw this, im going back to play pearl now.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • They should have made a G/S/C remake and said "We're done. Let's go make another good series, before this one overstays it's welcome!"

if I hear one more person say "they should had made a GSC remake" I'm going to explode x_X

The thing about D/P and now platinum is that there are too many legendaries.

:t354:TG

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • The thing about D/P and now platinum is that there are too many legendaries.

Agreed.. and there's a Legendary that isn't even necessary in there, as well; Arceus. Sorry to those who are big fans of the unpredictably predictable Legendary, but its one of those underlining contradictions of the story of Pokemon that just.. doesn't sit well, with me.

..and so what if people are saying they should have made a G/S/C remake? I'm one of those people that wishes they had/will. XD

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
    Years
  • if I hear one more person say "they should had made a GSC remake" I'm going to explode x_X

The thing about D/P and now platinum is that there are too many legendaries.

They should have made a GSC remake.

I will agree that there are a lot of legendaries but I don't think it's that horrible. I wish they would all of the legends in the games but of course that doesn't let them advertise as much.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    No, I read your post, and it's full of crap.

You say the battle engine sucks, yet your only evidence of this is the fact that you always get hit by the full effects of status- which is a load of crap anyway, as I've never had those problems (maybe you're just unlucky?).

All the new Pokemon suck? Infernape, Garchomp, Lucario, Heatran, Azelf, Weavile, Yanmega, and Porygon-Z would all like a word with you. And by that I mean they'd like to kick your ass. >:(

Level up too fast? What the hell kind of argument is that? That's some of the most fanboyish nitpicking I've ever heard. You don't level up too fast- you just play too slow.

Left handed people? Who uses the stylus anyway?

And that's YOUR ENTIRE ARGUMENT. No factual data, no real arguments- just pure fanboy crap. My advice: take off the nostalgia goggles, and realize that DP is one of the best generations so far.

QFT. This is true ownage.

The battle system is fine. All this "hax" you complain about is nothing more than luck. Overexaggeration FTW amirite?

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2008
    Diamond and Pearl seemed to me like the step into a "strange, new world". We got a more thrilling plot (this is opinion based), and the graphics were, of course, 3D, something never seen in a portable title of the Pokemon series. The Pokemon designs weren't afraid to push your buttons: they were all bold and new kinds of creatures. It's clear that it wasn't just one artist was working on their appearences. This is a good thing, remember, because animals in real life don't all like aligned to the same style, so it gave it a more unified feeling by being less unified. Quite ironic, if I may say so myself.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Decided to give it a shot on what I thought about D/P. Really wasn't a fan of it, but it wasn't the "worst" generation by any means. Sure, it was sort of awkward with all these new features including the DS split screen along with many other added features. However, one should not look at change as a negative aspect. Do you know how many people *****ed about how the Pokemon games were getting repetative? How many times people said "Same old, same old, blah blah blah..."? Perhaps you didn't, but I sure did, and it irritated me that now, once there is change in the game, features and storyline entirely, they decide to take the changes as a negative, harmful addition to the Pokemon series.

People set their standards too high. It's a game meant for young children, it's not gonna have all the stuff you desire because most likely, it isn't targeted for your age group. Now, I'm not saying people who play Pokemon that are over 10 have no life (because that would be insulting myself) But I am saying don't expect to get things not related to Pokemon inside the game.

Now onto the actual game itself. Personally, Sinnoh wasn't as cool as Kanto or Johto, but I liked it a lot much more than Hoenn. You also have to admit, some of the Pokemon are awesome. Infernape, Garchomp, PZ (though P2 > PZ), Yanmega, and of course, Weavile. Generation IV is also targeted for much hate because it weakened many Pokemon fans may have liked (Poor Medicam) But then again, most of the new moves are insanely useful for competative play, and oh, don't you guys remember DP introducedonline wireless battle for Pokemon DS?

I think people have to quit looking at the cons of the game, there will always be cons in a game. It's not meant to satisfy everyone. My advice to you is to stop playing the game and go back to your RBY, because we love our Sinnoh just the way it is.

SakuraChan

<3
    Years
  • DP was worth the money, for a thrilling fifty hour game time, but I have some dislikes in the game as well.
    Hm, I love the way you're able to run inside buildings, that certinally gave me shock.
    The graphics were pretty well, hand in hand.
    What disturbed me was how slow the battles could be.
    Was it just me, but was the entire game slower, as in when you walk or run.
    I just didn't feel it, the way you do when you set your heart out to play a game that you find thrilling.
    I was new, and a hot-top-of-the-line deal, but I think they could have improved.
    Lets hope minor problems will be fixed and enhanced in Platinum.

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
  • Playing at least 2 games from every Generation until D/P I have to say It took me awhile to find my feet in this because it does seem different, I have no idea who said you level up too fast, if anything you level up slower due to the locations/areas of wild Pokemon and types, that's just me though I have found it really easy to over level in games like Emerald, but in this I've had to really go for it to keep my self up above the Gym leaders.

I love the plot and gameplay though, they really extended the games "length" I feel. However while I really enjoy the game, I am finding it really hard to enjoy many of the new Pokemon... I mean sure Lucario and some of the Legendaries seem cool and all, but I'm just glad I can find old favorites like Abra near the start of the game... I'm really struggling to like any of the starters though... something about them really annoys me, turtwig and it's Evo's in my opinion was the only starter pokemon that didn't hate enough to throw into a box the moment I caught something not in the 4th generation.
    That's just my view though.

PocketPika

Quiet Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2011
    Well I see why people think D/P are the worst....
    But i dont like them because it just feels like its missing something...
    Like the sense of adventure or something, but what ever the secret ingredient is, D/P are missing it.
    And that was the ingredient that gave the games flavor.

Goldie

Trainer from the Boonies
    Years
  • Before Diamond and Pearl came out, they had that thing on the Pokemon site that allowed you to take a peek at some of the new Pokemon. They only let you pick on Pokemon every day or something. The first Pokemon I saw was Turtwig. I wanted Pokemon Diamond so much, before I saw Turtwig. I was thinking "Oh god. This is going to be a disaster." So I told my mom that I didn't want Pokemon Diamond anymore. Then I found out about the GTS and all the Wi-Fi stuff, so I bought Pokemon Diamond after all. All the new Pokemon suck. There are also a bunch of new, pointless TMs and Key Items. I liked the story and the towns though. The new evolutions to some of the older Pokemon are either ugly or weak. I thought that Nintendo was running out of ideas. I really think that Nintendo should make a re-make of Pokemon Silver, Gold, and Crystal, (with the Wi-Fi features) and leave it at that. They could make a few side games like with Pokemon Dash and the Mystery Dungeon games too. But if they try to pull off another new game with a new region and Pokemon, they're just asking for trouble. That's what I think.
    Going off topic, but I think that Pokemon Emerald was the biggest mistake that Nintendo made. The Hoenn region was cool when it first came out (because it looked way better than the old games), but the remake was pointless. The only thing new about it was the Battle Fronteir (or whatever it's called), which was really dumb anyways, and having both Team Aqua and Magma in the game. Nothing special. When Fire Red and Leaf Green came out, my friends and I thought that maybe Nintendo would make a Johto remake. But no. Instead, they made a crappy re-make of Hoenn. These last years have been pretty bad for Nintendo, but I think that the Mystery Dungeon games are the only games that they didn't mess up on for Pokemon.
    Sorry for the long post.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • I'm sorry, all the new Pokémon do not suck. Porygon-Z, Garchomp, Azelf, Tangrowth, Gliscor, Infernape, Mismagius, Darkrai, all but to name a few of the great new Pokémon that the 4th Generation offers. Look them up. People need to stop being nostalgic about the old ones; true enough they were amazing, but I don't get why people say they "suck" because they look different to the old ones. I would prefer it as it is than have 493 similar-looking Pokémon.

I have to agree with the 4th Gen being much slower paced than the 3rd though. Seriously, play D/P for a while and then go back. It sure is noticeable.

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2008
    You sound a lot like my friend...angry by the fact that you cannot play a game that 8 year olds have beaten. The battle engine is fine, you are just unlucky/only notice when you DO get a status. A lot of the pokemon are much better than last generation and a lot of pokemon line got much better (tangrowth and togekiss anyone?). And I am left handed, and I do fine with the stylus. And no, I do not have 3+ hands...you complaining is laughable at best. If you are done complaining about a game that 8 year olds have beaten, try to see how amazing this game is. With WiFi and easier means to IV breed/ EV train, it is truly a great game.

Goldie

Trainer from the Boonies
    Years
  • Alright, I stand corrected. I agree that the new legendaries such as Arceus, Darkrai, Palkia, and a few others are pretty cool. About 70% of the new Pokemon aren't all that great though. I didn't say anything about the status problems being unfair or anything, and I think that the new way of battling is cool. The only thing I didn't like about Pokemon Diamond and Pearl is 70% of the new Pokemon and some of the new moves. Everything else is fine and dandy, and I like the fact that you can trade and battle over Wi-Fi.

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2010
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    GSC > RBY > DPP > RSE

And since I believe it, it is true and if you disagree you're wrong.

That's a great mentality. I bet you must have all the friends you need, right?

Back on topic: There has been a lot of sucky Pokes this gen, but guess what? There has been sucky Pokemon in EVERY gen. Every gen. Ratticate and Pidgeot are piss-weak, not even worthy of UU play (Ratticate only due to some trick new attacks, but it's base stats are xD) GSC had some of their bad times. Remember (or perhaps, don't remember) Sentrent? Furret? Weaklings and considered fodder in their respected gen. Mightyena, Mightyena, Mightyena. So much potential listed under fodder. Linoone was bad, but at least it had BD + ES. This gen had the most of the worthless Pokes, but that isn't that bad since the amount of awesome Pokemon balances it out. You ain't gonna see Garchomps owning the Metagame in your RBY's now are you?

TheFire's[Inside]

Too. Damn. Smexy.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2012
    4th.

Its even more cheesy than the rest of 'em. XP

EDIT: And not the good kinda cheese. This is rotten cheese. That was sitting in your back pocket for a week.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • Why would you have cheese sitting in your back pocket for a week?

And why would you be wearing the same pants for a week? That's simply unsanitary.

Also, everyone knows that 2nd gen was the cheesiest. Come on, it had a cow.

Back